C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random hard start long crank times

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SlowBusa08
the cam isn't stock, ls7R from texas speed.

When it starts it will sometimes stumble just a little then fire right up, once it's at idle it's fine, idles fine, and runs fine. It also diesels on shut down.

I threw the new o2's in and cleaned the MAF, I'm really thinking the tuning is just still pretty rough. I didn't get a chance to check the ltft's tonight. When I started it up it fired up pretty quick.

So enlighten me on the open loop/closed loop, I assume it's coolant temp and some triggers for time after start and/or possibly min engine speed?
I'm sorry I missed that you have a cam.

Your problem is common. Have your tuner increase your starting airflow table a little bit. He will know what to do. Might take a couple of fine adjustments.

Yes, ECT is the main trigger. It will try to get to closed loop quickly as that is best for emissions. Most common thing to take it out of loop is acceleration past a threshold which you can adjust in your tune.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:25 PM
BK n BLK
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi
As stated above it will not be a O2 sensor, you say you have proper fuel pressure, If you have a code reader I would unplug MAF and try it, yes a code will be induced but it will fire up on default perimeters, that will eliminate that sensor, I have seen leaking injectors cause this problem, any smoke on the start up like a rich mixture?
I would read data check coolant temp sensor also before fire up.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I missed that it diesels on shut down. Does it have a bit of "cruise control" when you take your foot off the gas?

All three of these things are simple airflow adjustments that you have to do when you tune for a cam. The startup airflow table needs to be increased a bit so it starts easier - don't go too high or it'll flare to high rpm upon startup and that sounds cheesy, the dieseling would likely be caused by a bit too high settings in base running airflow, which can also cause cruise control. You can knock that table down a bit to take care of these, you might have to adjust commanded idle speed to compensate, perhaps not.

Your tuner will know where all these tables are and should be able to get you fixed up pretty easily.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:32 AM
zali0104
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Joe G, i missed the dieseling on shut down.
You need fuel and an ignition source for dieseling. If there is an injector leak, or multiple injectors leaking that can be the fuel needed for dieseling. On a hot engine you can have an Atkin's cycle situation.
An injector leaking fuel into the intake can explain the extended crank as the flooding is cleared.
Put a fuel gauge on and check pressure drop after shut down. Loss of pressure would indicate a leak.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:15 AM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I added a little air flow on the idle air table and it does seem to start and idle a little smoother. I noticed the coolant temp modifier map was a little lean causing the ecm to try and over compensate.

I need to smooth it out a little more but it seems like it did make an improvement.

I do notice the cruise control affect, i'll poke around and see what the base running air flow tables look like.

I'm use to tuning diesel so having to worry about airflow is f'n weird... Diesel just take as much fuel as you tell it, and they figure out the rest.

I appreciate the help guys, keep it coming.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:28 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I added a little air flow on the idle air table and it does seem to start and idle a little smoother. I noticed the coolant temp modifier map was a little lean causing the ecm to try and over compensate.

I need to smooth it out a little more but it seems like it did make an improvement.

I do notice the cruise control affect, i'll poke around and see what the base running air flow tables look like.

I'm use to tuning diesel so having to worry about airflow is f'n weird... Diesel just take as much fuel as you tell it, and they figure out the rest.

I appreciate the help guys, keep it coming.
Didn't know you knew how to tune. Take the base running airflow down 5% and see how that does for you. Might have to bump commanded idle speed a little.

If I'd known your mods and you tune, we'd have fixed this in the second post. lol

You coal guys.... lol all you have to worry about is how much oil you can stuff in that thing.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:36 AM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Lol absolutely. I tried to keep it clean out of the pipe so large twins we're needed. But essentially you're correct.

I'm using efi live so bare with me I know enough to be dangerous. On the baas air table do I drop the whole map by a few percent or log it and drop specific areas?
Old 07-05-2015, 02:45 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Lol absolutely. I tried to keep it clean out of the pipe so large twins we're needed. But essentially you're correct.

I'm using efi live so bare with me I know enough to be dangerous. On the baas air table do I drop the whole map by a few percent or log it and drop specific areas?
Scan it and see where it idles and where you have cruise control and adjust down.

Frankly that table is only used in those areas so you could probably drop the entire thing 5% and have the same effect and save some time.

Quick Reply: Random hard start long crank times