C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed a reverse light and now neither work

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:36 PM
slowc6z
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed a reverse light and now neither work

Little bit of background, I have an 06 z06 (manual tranny).

I was changing lights and when I went to test the new bulbs out, neither worked! from there, I checked the fuse and it was blown so I replaced it with a new one and still nothing.

Now I'm down to the sensor in the transmission which is part number 89060011 for $50 on gmpartsdirect as far as I can tell. just wanted to double check and get other opinions before I start replacing things that may or may not need to be replaced.

I also noticed by the "reverse lamp" fuse that there is a "BCK/UP lamp" thing but I'm not sure what it is and it just looks like there's terminals in it so I'm not sure how it could go bad.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Old 07-03-2015, 01:51 AM
slowc6z
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to mention that when I unlock the car usually the reverse lights stay on but they do not turn on with the fob nor when in reverse.

Am I missing anything obvious to check?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

put car in reverse, push the start button without touching the clutch pedal for 15 seconds and this will put the car into run mode without the motor started.

Unplug the reverse light switch from the trans plug, then just the two connectors out on the plug connector with a paper clip. Do the reverse lights come on now? clean the plug connectors and plug the connector back into the switch and check the reverse lights again.

If they the reverse lights come on with jumping the switch connector pins on the plug, but not when you plug the connector back into the switch on the trans, then your reverse light switch in the trans has gone south and needs to be replaced.

As for the reverse light switch, search the GM number on amazon, and you can find the ac/delco switch for around $35 with free shipping instead.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 89060011 GM Original Equipment Back-Up Lamp Switch: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 89060011 GM Original Equipment Back-Up Lamp Switch: Automotive

Last edited by Dano523; 07-04-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Changed a reverse light and now neither work

Quick Reply: Changed a reverse light and now neither work