C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Clutch Fluid Flush and Replace DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Gizmo5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C6Z Clutch Fluid Flush and Replace DIY

Empty/fill the reservoir only does so much, this is by far the easiest way I can show people how to flush ALL of the fluid.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the video--nicely done. However, it doesn't really help those of us who don't have a remote bleeder line on the slave cylinder. I've been changing my reservoir fluid in my '13 every 2-3 months and it seems to be staying a little cleaner with less of the black floaters and gunk that was showing up early in the car's life.

Now, if you could just make a nice instructional video on how to install a remote bleed line without dropping the driveline.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

I read that you need to push and hold the clutch down with the remote bleeder. Is that only necessary if you do not have a Mityvac pump?

Also, I read not to pump up too much vacuum so not to damage the seals.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:15 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
Thanks for the video--nicely done. However, it doesn't really help those of us who don't have a remote bleeder line on the slave cylinder. I've been changing my reservoir fluid in my '13 every 2-3 months and it seems to be staying a little cleaner with less of the black floaters and gunk that was showing up early in the car's life.

Now, if you could just make a nice instructional video on how to install a remote bleed line without dropping the driveline.
Take the intake manifold off
Old 08-28-2015, 08:39 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I read that you need to push and hold the clutch down with the remote bleeder. Is that only necessary if you do not have a Mityvac pump?

Also, I read not to pump up too much vacuum so not to damage the seals.
I have a mityvac (air bleeder) it doesn't create enough vacuum to hurt any seals.

As far as holding the clutch down, that i would imagine is only necessary without the vacuum method and doing the 2 man pump and hold bleed procedure.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

The trick to power flushing the clutch line, is to get cavitation in the slave cylinder space to unsettle the clutch dust in the bottom of the slave cylinder, and get the clutch dust to come out with the old fluid as well.

As for air, since the slave is the lowest point, and the reserve tank the highest, it will self bleed small air bubbles out on it own.

So although the remote bleeder makes bleeding the system easy in general, with the hose now above the slave cylinder, now a place for air to collect that will not self bleed out of the system, and worse in regards to clutch dust that you may have cavitated into the fluid with the fluid flowing fast enough through the slave cylinder, now has a long distance upwards that the suspended clutch dust in the fluid has to travel in the fluid/remote hose as well.

So in the video with the clutch fluid being drawn out so slowly via the hand pump , all I'm seeing is the air trapped in the remote bleeder line really being drawn out alone.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:16 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If you try to use a mityvac on a remote bleeder with the clutch pedal down you won't get far. Fluid can't flow from the reservoir through the rest of the system unless the pedal is all the way at the top. I usually stick a ratchet or something behind the pedal to hold it up when bleeding the clutch with a mityvac (this is assuming you have removed the factory pedal spring)

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Clutch Fluid Flush and Replace DIY

Quick Reply: C6Z Clutch Fluid Flush and Replace DIY