C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 shifter linkage problem resolved.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:55 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default c6 shifter linkage problem resolved.

Thanks to corvetteforum member LV2TOUR for posting the shifter linkage fix post. Do a search to find it.
Went to the mall, shifted from D to P but car stayed in N and wanted to roll downhill. Dreaded calling the tow truck. Took center console apart with no instructions. Got to shifter, lifted it up and found plastic bushing that connects shifter lever with trans cable had broken. I was
able to push shifter lever pin back into trans cable. Used two zip ties to hold both shifter and trans cable together. I was than able to carefully shift into any and all gears. Drove home. Went to GM dealer, requested a new plastic bushing. Dealer said I have to buy the entire cable for $70.00. Went to Service tech, he said to R and R cable cost would be over $400.00. It didn't matter that I had the whole center console apart already. Got to the internet, searched forum, found post about shifter linkage bushing kit at Autozone. Found said kit at NAPA for $6.00. Went home replaced broken/worn bushing with a new one from the kit. The kit comes with five various size bushings. I used the one that just snapped right into the end of the trans cable. I did not use the next bigger size bushing that would have needed to be vise-gripped into cable. I loosely put the two zip ties back that I had used for a week as a temp fix, incase bushing goes bad after another 65,000 miles. Put console back together. Than I was able to drive back to the dealer and get a refund for their $70.00 cable. There is a vid on youtube that shows how to take you center console apart.
The following users liked this post:
SPSandman (04-16-2019)
Old 07-09-2015, 11:43 AM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

Kudos to you

DIY is always to way to go
Old 07-09-2015, 12:25 PM
daveholl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMONSVETTE
Thanks to corvetteforum member LV2TOUR for posting the shifter linkage fix post. Do a search to find it.
Went to the mall, shifted from D to P but car stayed in N and wanted to roll downhill. Dreaded calling the tow truck. Took center console apart with no instructions. Got to shifter, lifted it up and found plastic bushing that connects shifter lever with trans cable had broken. I was
able to push shifter lever pin back into trans cable. Used two zip ties to hold both shifter and trans cable together. I was than able to carefully shift into any and all gears. Drove home. Went to GM dealer, requested a new plastic bushing. Dealer said I have to buy the entire cable for $70.00. Went to Service tech, he said to R and R cable cost would be over $400.00. It didn't matter that I had the whole center console apart already. Got to the internet, searched forum, found post about shifter linkage bushing kit at Autozone. Found said kit at NAPA for $6.00. Went home replaced broken/worn bushing with a new one from the kit. The kit comes with five various size bushings. I used the one that just snapped right into the end of the trans cable. I did not use the next bigger size bushing that would have needed to be vise-gripped into cable. I loosely put the two zip ties back that I had used for a week as a temp fix, incase bushing goes bad after another 65,000 miles. Put console back together. Than I was able to drive back to the dealer and get a refund for their $70.00 cable. There is a vid on youtube that shows how to take you center console apart.
You're lucky to have had the necessary tools to remove console with you at the mall.
Dave
Old 07-09-2015, 12:54 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

could you post that specific you tube video link for the center console removal please??
Hunter245 (04-22-2019)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:09 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Wow I replaced the cable on a customers car last month and the cable was only $35.00.
Their cable needed replacement due to the plastic guide end at the shifter had broken.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:01 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Wow I replaced the cable on a customers car last month and the cable was only $35.00.
Their cable needed replacement due to the plastic guide end at the shifter had broken.

I am 'lucky' to live in Hawaii.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GOLD72
could you post that specific you tube video link for the center console removal please??
The following 2 users liked this post by DMONSVETTE:
JLN81vette (03-03-2020), MLRS (09-11-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 03:16 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by daveholl
You're lucky to have had the necessary tools to remove console with you at the mall.
Dave
Carry a Companion 40 piece tool kit in all of my cars. Saved me many a time. Bought it at Sears for like $30.00.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:28 AM
Magik
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like I have the same problem and I'm going to try and tackle it tomorrow. What do you know, we both live in Hawaii too. Maybe it's the crazy heat we've been having lately.

I need to find that post from LV2TOUR. Hope I can find it.

Hope my problem is at the shifter end and not the tranny side.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:54 AM
Magik
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Now I'm thinking that my problem is different. I've had the problem with the shifter not wanting to come out of park, so I know I need to do this mod to bypass the solenoid. My new problem is that the shifter can now move all through the gears and if feels like there's no connection to the cable. If moves freely through all gears and remains in park, making me think the actual linkage or cable came loose.

Anyone know if the C6 uses the same type of linkage as the C5, as there seems to be a fix using plastic bushings you can get from the auto parts store for about $6.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:52 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Default Now I have a Problem!!

I have had intermittent problems with shifting out of Park with my 07 A6 but pushing forward on the stick has always allowed the shift solenoid pawl to rotate out of the way. Came home today and tried an alternate solution that I read here on the forum that involved pushing down on the right side of the shift lever boot to release it from Park.

I was able to get out of Park but now I am stuck in either Drive or Neutral. The shift lever trigger button will not depress and allow me to either go to Reverse from Neutral or into Sport from Drive. Car will go forward in Drive with the engine running and will be out of gear when in Neutral.

Did I break the shifter to cable plastic bushing?? Or is the lockout solenoid and computer just confused by what I did?? If the system is confused, will disconnecting the battery make it reboot back to normal?? Or do I need to take the console apart to disable the solenoid or replace the cable connection bushing??
Old 10-10-2015, 03:20 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

UPDATE: Got the console apart and did the parking pawl mod by drilling a hole thru it and wiring it back to disable it permanently. That allowed the gear shift lever to move thru the entire range from Park to Sport rather than be stuck in either Drive or Neutral. Didn't have to look for any cracked transmission cable bushings underneath the shift module. Console went back together quickly and easily. One surprise that had me scared for a moment. I did the work with the vert top down. After driving to test everything, I couldn't get the vert top to cycle closed again. The ECM refused to accept the pushbutton command to close the top. I knew I needed to reindex the side windows when I reconnected the battery so I cycled the windows up and down twice to reindex them. That was all it took then for the ECM to then close the vert top the next time I hit the command button.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:04 AM
mcmannjdm
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to me that the linkage problem is a design flaw. My C6 has 36,000 miles and it went out yesterday. No warning that there was a problem with the cable. A bit scary that you could get stranded at any time. We were stuck for almost 3 hours in 96 degree heat. I am selling the car because I do not feel comfortable driving a vehicle that could leave me or my wife stranded at any time or place.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:13 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,079 Likes on 633 Posts

You're lucky it wasn't the bushing on the transmission......It's a bear to get to and mine has failed 2 times in 6 months. Picked up the cable this past weekend for 50.00 from Chevy and will have dealer install next week...
mcmannjdm (06-25-2018)
Old 04-10-2019, 08:55 AM
aramkhelawan
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been trying to find that Post by LV2TOUR and having issues.

Maybe you can help me out. I got the console out and the box out on my c6 auto. The bushing was worn severely and most if it had broken up and fell out. I got a replacement part from Advance Auto that fit well (Dorman 14055 i believe). It came with two bushings the one that was white not clear fit well. I was able to insert with some effort and pliers to get the bushing place in the receptacle inside.

Having the hardest time getting the gearbox connection(stabbing point) into that bushing now to connect. The clearance is so bad and i have big hands so its hard for me to get down there. Any suggestions on this part? I am thinking of getting a long reach thin curved needle nose and try to eyeball it. Just seems impossible to get that fit right. I am really hoping i don't have to get at it from under the car.

Hope you guys can help. If not i will make a new post asking for advice.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To c6 shifter linkage problem resolved.

Quick Reply: c6 shifter linkage problem resolved.