C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air in clutch system.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 05:39 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

well finally found the problem and if its not that id be amazed..

There is no pilot bearing on the crank.. Engine builder never put it on and never informed me of it,

hard to tell but here is some pix

prior to removing it first time when motor pulled

Attachment 48366582

Old crank shaft u can see bearing..

Attachment 48366583

and what mine looks like before i installed it back into the car

Attachment 48366584

Last edited by UmX; 07-26-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:22 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

so much work for something so simple. what a pain. you must be just livid
Old 07-26-2015, 07:00 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rpmextra
so much work for something so simple. what a pain. you must be just livid
what really sucks is i put it back together saturday morning, found out saturday night. I have to take it all apart again..
Old 07-26-2015, 07:06 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UmX
what really sucks is i put it back together saturday morning, found out saturday night. I have to take it all apart again..
Did you installed the Clutch? if so, did the alignment tool not feel a little loose?

Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 PM
UmX
Safety Car

since it waas the plastic one was a lil snug so i didnt think anything of it
Old 07-26-2015, 07:35 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

well at least you'll be a damn wizard once you're finished with it.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:55 PM
UmX
Safety Car

well removal #2

So far what is broken is slave #2, top disk in the clutch is mangled, not sure about drive shaft have to look up how to remove it from the torque tube..

Attachment 48366552

Attachment 48366553

Attachment 48366554

Attachment 48366555

Attachment 48366556

Attachment 48366557

Attachment 48366558

Attachment 48366559
Old 07-28-2015, 05:59 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm on my phone so it's too long to scroll back, but I was sure your driveshaft looked damaged the first time. Did you put it all back together with the driveshaft like that? The splines looked terrible. Clutch discs could have spun around with any kind of power.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Did you heat your flywheel to install it? It shouldn't be pulled on with the bolts. You're supposed to heat the flywheel to 200f in the oven or hot plate and quickly settle it on the crank before it cools. Pulling it on with the bolts can result in warping the flywheel. It kind of looks like something is spinning and wobbling. The wear pattern on the slave very odd. Turn that driveshaft (put in neutral) and see if it spinning straight. We need to get to the bottom of this. These parts ain't cheap. Let's try to stop the bleeding.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:12 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Did you heat your flywheel to install it? It shouldn't be pulled on with the bolts. You're supposed to heat the flywheel to 200f in the oven or hot plate and quickly settle it on the crank before it cools. Pulling it on with the bolts can result in warping the flywheel. It kind of looks like something is spinning and wobbling. The wear pattern on the slave very odd. Turn that driveshaft (put in neutral) and see if it spinning straight. We need to get to the bottom of this. These parts ain't cheap. Let's try to stop the bleeding.
No i never heated the flywheel. Not sure when the clutch was installed last year if it was or not. I dont talk to the guy that did the work any more..

I do know i Can not get that flywheel off the crankshaft i did some minor prying with a screw driver but it didnt want to budge.. And as you can see no pilot bearing was ever present.. which is why the slave is most likely smoked.. as well as the disk
Old 07-28-2015, 06:22 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

At this point it looks like the best route (not cheapest) would be to .
1: remove that flywheel and have it checked. If it's good, have it resurfaced. Then new clutch, pressure plate, slave, and that driveshaft needs to be repaired for sure.
I would get a clutch kit that includes the flywheel and slave. My katech zr1 clutch came with flywheel, pressure plate, disc(s), and the slave. Added the remote bleeder for good measure.
I just don't think it's wise to not replace all supporting cast. If you take a chance and have to disassemble the car again, you'll likely burn the car down.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 PM
UmX
Safety Car

At this point it looks like the best route (not cheapest) would be to .
1: remove that flywheel and have it checked. If it's good, have it resurfaced. Then new clutch, pressure plate, slave, and that driveshaft needs to be repaired for sure.
I would get a clutch kit that includes the flywheel and slave. My katech zr1 clutch came with flywheel, pressure plate, disc(s), and the slave. Added the remote bleeder for good measure.
I just don't think it's wise to not replace all supporting cast. If you take a chance and have to disassemble the car again, you'll likely burn the car down.
That is a mcleod RXT clutch.. so i need to get with them on a rebuild..
Old 07-28-2015, 06:41 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UmX
That is a mcleod RXT clutch.. so i need to get with them on a rebuild..
Fair enough, either way, whatever the brand. I think you should start from scratch. things are bent, twisted and out of round. I don't think mcleod would rebuild that clutch disc. if the photo is good, it looks bent. maybe send them some pics and have them tell you before hand. I just don't think I would take that route with my car, and certainly even less with a customers because doing it again for free is from ideal. I doubt 2 slaves in and all that work, you'd like a repeat.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Fair enough, either way, whatever the brand. I think you should start from scratch. things are bent, twisted and out of round. I don't think mcleod would rebuild that clutch disc. if the photo is good, it looks bent. maybe send them some pics and have them tell you before hand. I just don't think I would take that route with my car, and certainly even less with a customers because doing it again for free is from ideal. I doubt 2 slaves in and all that work, you'd like a repeat.
from when i talked to them the other ay they said a full rebuild is $560.. So ill have to call em again and see what they say.. or just buy a new disk..
Old 07-28-2015, 08:11 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UmX
from when i talked to them the other ay they said a full rebuild is $560.. So ill have to call em again and see what they say.. or just buy a new disk..
again, doing just the disc might bring more of the same. how can you be sure the pressure plate is ok. if the disc looks the way it does, being squeezed between the flywheel and pressure plate, i wouldn't dare take the chance. if they can do that type of service and properly check the flywheel and pressure plate for out of spec, at the very least get that done.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:11 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

how much is a slave btw
Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 PM
UmX
Safety Car

how much is a slave btw
slave is like 180-220 range.. unless i can find someone selling one,,.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:45 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UmX
slave is like 180-220 range.. unless i can find someone selling one,,.
I had my good used one out and threw it in the garbage. never wanted to risk the chance of selling it and a issue with it arrives and a guy with a similar story to yours calls me saying I owe him $$$.

just be sure you only do this one more time. remember, if you pull that flywheel off (which you should to have it checked) you need 6 new oem flywheel bolts

Quick Reply: air in clutch system.