C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hinson 1 7/8 Z06 stainless header review ls7 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 PM
08z51m6Ls3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco Matos
Hi all.
I'm considering these as well as Texas Speed for a 2006 Z06. These two are the only ones that make sense to me moneywise. At the moment Texas Speed is out of stock for the X pipe...Anyone has information or opinion on any of these. How do they compare to the more expensive ones?
Thanks!
I recently installed the TSP Catless Longtubes on my 08 M6 Z51 LS3 car and the quality is great (stainless steel, nice welds). The fitment, not so much.. The X-Pipe is rubbing the passenger side floorboard tunnel and vibrating under the car at a stop. The connection pipe on the driver side that mates the X-pipe to the tailpipe also touches the rear diff. Trying to figure out what to do to fix these problems.

Also, I'm not a fan of the slip-fit design. Took quite a bit of adjusting of the clamps to get it to quit leaking at all the joints. I still think I might have a small leak in a few.

Regardless, I feel like I've read countless threads on different brand headers, and every brand has it's own complaints of fitment, leaks, quality etc. I feel a lot better about paying less than $800 shipped and dealing with those issues rather than $1800

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2016, 08:14 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

To each his own....I wouldn't buy a vette with cheap headers installed, tells me the previous owner wasn't as concerned with quality and care for the car up to my standards.

I buy American Racing Headers end of story.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

This is a good demonstration of why people should shop around.

There will always be people who say "I want the most expensive piece of hardware out there, because if it is the most expensive, it HAS to be the best, right?"

Then there are those who say "This piece does the exact same thing as the most expensive piece but it is cheaper because it is built different so it must be just as good!"

Shop around and find the happy medium. I'm not rich enough to go throwing money at the highest dollar piece of anything all the time, nor am I foolish enough to buy into the "just as good" mentality. That said, paying $1500 or more for a few pieces of welded, bent metal piping struck me as silly, but so did buying the cheapest headers out there based on ****-poor reviews.
After reading the reviews of the Hinsons, I bought them. I knew they would be above average (at least a 6 out of 10), but they turned out very good (not great.) I'd rate them 8 out of 10. The only reason they would not get a 10 / 10 is due to the annoying addition of O2 extensions that need to be folded behind the motor, and the thin ceramic coating that chips easily. Beyond that, they do what they are supposed to do and make the same power as these 4-figure headers. I have no complaints.

Last edited by R_W; 08-03-2016 at 12:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by R_W:
Daviddear30 (11-25-2016), long_tall_texan (08-04-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 06:57 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
To each his own....I wouldn't buy a vette with cheap headers installed, tells me the previous owner wasn't as concerned with quality and care for the car up to my standards.

This makes absolutely no sense.

More $ =better?

I am running the Hinsons, quaility and fitment are top notch. I am making the same power others are making with $1800 headers from ARH.

Plus with Hinson, they might have some of the best customer service out there.

The $1000 I save went into a MSD intake

Just my 2 cents
The following users liked this post:
long_tall_texan (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 06:59 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

This makes absolutely no sense.

More $ =better?

I am running the Hinsons, quaility and fitment are top notch. I am making the same power others are making with $1800 headers from ARH.

Plus with Hinson, they might have some of the best customer service out there.

I have an 06 Z06, zero modifications to make them fit

The $1000 I save went into a MSD intake

Just my 2 cents
Old 08-05-2016, 04:28 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It makes the Corvette owners feel better to spend more so they know they got "the best"

It is what it is

(I would probably buy ARH too if money didn't matter, they are nice for sure)

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-05-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:41 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had my Hinson headers, cats and h pipe for several months. Awesome value and the install was cake. A no brainer
Old 08-06-2016, 08:31 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by That_White_C6
I just finished installing these. Car sounds great. I was a Guinnea pig so to speak (out of my own pocket of course) i have not had the car tuned yet we litterally just finished the install..

If your looking for a set of brand new headers I can't imagine there being any better value than this. The ceramic coating is what really and truly made me click that buy it now button without hesitation.

I had a couple of issues along the way but Hinson has assured me they will take care of them for me. And it was entirely related to shipping not the product.

Fitment was OK... There was no rubbing and the headers slid right in just like the video. My only complaint was the xpipe slip fit. It's connection was a total bear! Otherwise everything fits perfectly and my tail pipes now line up better than they did with stock parts. Very satisfied.

Sound is great! I've only idled it a couple times to break in the coating but it made my exhaust note come to life. The sound is now deeper and much throatier as a corvette should sound. It added a ton of drone but I think that's to be expected with headers.

I currently have a pretty Nasty exhaust leak which I'll be attempting to tighten up after my 3rd break in heat cycle finishes and everything cools

Power is yet to be determined but again I can't imagine it making any more or less power than any other set of headers on the market.

Bottom Line:

Edit:
I was overly impressed at first install however after a week i am dealing with the ceramic coating simply peeling off which makes the product in my opinion Something to reconsider.... I hope they get this issue fixed for others... The headers were also broken in properly as according to the instructions 3 hear cycles plus an hour of normal driving...

-Kevin
To each his own, but as I am in the market for a set of long tubes, it is unacceptable to me to have the coating chipping off a brand new product or the manufacturer saying that because the coating is free, there is no warranty
Old 09-10-2016, 09:09 PM
That_White_C6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey guys I'm here to update.

The headers are still headers. I'm sitting here talking to my dad about headers and I found my own post from last year.

I recently had the BTR stage 4 cam put in and had the car retuned it made 546 rwhp...

mods are intake, cam, headers

Im happy with them overall, I'm not blown away but these are $700 cheaper than kooks.

the pics I've seen look to be better coated than mine were. I'd say give them a shot if you aren't looking to spend top dollar but don't count on the coating.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:09 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Well that's what I did but they leaked from all four on both headers had to cut the collectors off to weld the inner tubing joints then weld the collectors back rather than shipping the headers back and keep my car on jack stands for weeks.

I'm not the fist one using ARH to complain about this.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Daviddear30
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mrk1957
I've had my Hinson headers, cats and h pipe for several months and am very happy with the setup. I did the install myself and was a piece of cake.
Hinson customer service was accessible to help out with an O2 sensor extension issue, which was easily remedied. They're willing to do what it takes, within reason, to make they're customers happy.
Did you have access to a lift? Or just jack stands? Just ordered a set.
I have a friend with a lift that will install for $250 or I may do it myself. I would like to do them myself but I have no access to a lift
Old 11-25-2016, 03:07 PM
adlpb
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daviddear30
Did you have access to a lift? Or just jack stands? Just ordered a set.
I have a friend with a lift that will install for $250 or I may do it myself. I would like to do them myself but I have no access to a lift
I did it without a lift. Put the rear tires on ramps first, then lift the front as much as you can and put jack stands. Pass the headers from the bottom up to the top. Your job will be much easier if you have someone up in the engine bay helping you pull them up.
The following users liked this post:
Daviddear30 (11-25-2016)

Quick Reply: New Hinson 1 7/8 Z06 stainless header review ls7 corvette