C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch return spring installation tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Whisky
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Clutch return spring installation tips?

Hi all,

Just replaced my clutch master cylinder due to clutch pedal sticking to the floor. I had to remove the spring to align the rod with the pedal. For the life of me I can't get that bugger back on. Laying on my back/side just doesn't give enough leverage to pull it back onto the pedal.
Help!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:10 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

you just have to keep trying you'll get it, it is a PITA!! BTW since your doing it put a C5 spring in you'll like it better, and it's really not a "return spring" it gives you the "feel" of the clutch, thats why the C5 spring IS better.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:44 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

since I have never actually tried to replace the spring (I have A6) , I can NOT vouch for this installation instructions...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-in-c6.html
or here..............
http://www.utahcorvette.com/2012/03/...return-spring/

Last edited by ChevyDave; 07-24-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:40 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

When I did mine, I just put the two ends in their respective holes and then just pushed the pedal down by hand to hook the center of the spring...there was no need for any leverage. And I agree, the C5 spring feels better.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:46 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you get a Tick Master, you get to remove the spring!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:48 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

and your pedal didn't go to the floor because it was bad, it was only dirty, google" the ranger method" or do what I do Roll some paper towels up so it fits in the clutch fluid res. push it in slowly so it soaks up the oil it WILL absorb it all replace with clean fluid. don't touch the pedal while your doing this! wa-la clean fluid 76000 miles and NEVER a pedal on the floor!
Old 07-29-2015, 05:57 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
When I did mine, I just put the two ends in their respective holes and then just pushed the pedal down by hand to hook the center of the spring...there was no need for any leverage.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:34 PM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting y'all say to put in a c5 spring. I pulled mine out of my c5 and preferred it that way. Much more linear feeling. That's probably my biggest gripe is the lack of pedal feeling. My 350z has a better clutch feel on it than the c6.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:47 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Interesting y'all say to put in a c5 spring. I pulled mine out of my c5 and preferred it that way. Much more linear feeling. That's probably my biggest gripe is the lack of pedal feeling. My 350z has a better clutch feel on it than the c6.
C6 springs were prone to breaking when the C6 first came out 05-07 and the C5 spring does give a better "feel" the C6 spring was to "heavy" IMHO
Old 07-31-2015, 05:56 PM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

By heavy do you mean make the pedal to light then yes I agree entirely.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:22 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I wonder if he ever got it done???
Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Lmao, maybe his setting aren't set to get notifications. Probably thinking, lousy forum, no one wants to help lol

I have a friend that took it out and left it out. Some won't handle higher levels of rpm (aftermods) and clutch would stick to the floor after shifting at say 7400 instead of 7000. By taking it out and leaving it out, it remedied the problem.

The spring makes the pedal easier to press for your wife
Old 08-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Whisky
Pro

Default Got it!

I haven't had time to fool with it lately and just got to it this morning.

Thanks for all the advice! Like most things technique is every thing. I attached it on both sides and pushed the pedal down with one hand and pulled the spring with the other and it snapped in!

As a related subject, lots of talk on the forums about dark clutch fluid and keeping it clean etc. My replacement master cylinder came pre filled with clutch fluid, reservoir attached and everything. And it was dark, not clear. Comments?
Old 08-01-2015, 03:41 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Whisky
I haven't had time to fool with it lately and just got to it this morning.

Thanks for all the advice! Like most things technique is every thing. I attached it on both sides and pushed the pedal down with one hand and pulled the spring with the other and it snapped in!

As a related subject, lots of talk on the forums about dark clutch fluid and keeping it clean etc. My replacement master cylinder came pre filled with clutch fluid, reservoir attached and everything. And it was dark, not clear. Comments?
not sure about that. all dot4 brands i know are pretty clear. is this after driving it? might have mixed with the old fluid in the line and slave. there could be a brand that's darker on color
here is what mine looks like. I flush it after every day at the track or once a month if I don't go.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:38 PM
Whisky
Pro

[QUOTE=rpmextra;1590178996]not sure about that. all dot4 brands i know are pretty clear. is this after driving it? might have mixed with the old fluid in the line and slave. there could be a brand that's darker on color
here is what mine looks like. I flush it after every day at the track or once a month if I don't go.

Nope, no driving.
The new master cylinder came with the reservoir attached and pre primed/filled with clutch fluid and it was dark.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:45 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Whisky;1590179562]
Originally Posted by rpmextra
not sure about that. all dot4 brands i know are pretty clear. is this after driving it? might have mixed with the old fluid in the line and slave. there could be a brand that's darker on color

Nope, no driving.
The new master cylinder came with the reservoir attached and pre primed/filled with clutch fluid and it was dark.
define dark. can you show a pic? I'm sure it's fine, I'm just curious
Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Whisky
Pro

[QUOTE=rpmextra;1590179592]
Originally Posted by Whisky

define dark. can you show a pic? I'm sure it's fine, I'm just curious

This is how the fluid looked when I got the new master cylinder.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:32 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm sure that fluid is dark by design. But given the issue with the fluid getting contaminates from the clutch dust in it, personally, if that was my car, I'd flush it with new fluid. Not because I don't trust what's in there, but to keep an eye of the cleanliness of the fluid, it's best that it starts clear so you can see it get dirty. Again, I flush mine minimum once a month
Old 02-22-2017, 04:02 PM
awbnj1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get the spring on the clutch pedal in 2 seconds with one person

I think I read every post on every site and watched every video but I could not fit both arms under the dash due to my wide shoulders. I fought for about ten minutes, got nowhere and then it dawned on me... Take a piece of string and put it in the middle of the spring where it should clip to the pedal. With one hand push the clutch to the floor and with the other hand pull on the string (by the door jam) and it will pop right into the plastic slot on the clutch pedal. There is no need to have both arms/shoulders under the dash at the same time. If done correctly it should only take a few seconds. I hope this little trick helps someone in the future!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch return spring installation tips?

Quick Reply: Clutch return spring installation tips?