C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:46 PM
dphins
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default A/C Compressor Problem

My A/C belt came off and cracked the air conditioner compressor wiring connector. Is that replaceable or do I need a new compressor?
Old 07-24-2015, 10:36 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

well, first , i assume you mean the connector in the red circles...

your compressor part number appears to be 89019337 , and i see it listed about $375 the lowest avg price. the part number 3 in the blowup is NOT listed anywhere i can find in GM parts manuals. since they show it as a single item, it can be bought (somewhere???????????) i sure cant find it.

sold as items 3 thru 8 as clutch.... (not item 3 by itself that i can find) , gm # 88958094 , acdelco 154955 , about $130 lowest avg price
Attached Images    

Last edited by ChevyDave; 07-24-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: found the part #
Old 07-25-2015, 07:02 AM
dphins
Instructor

Thank you for your help and yes I am talking about the red circle. I wonder if anybody has change it before?
Old 07-26-2015, 09:23 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by dphins
Thank you for your help and yes I am talking about the red circle. I wonder if anybody has change it before?
Yes found the same info a chevydave

Fairly simple job btw
Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Also sounds like you might need the A/C belt tensioner.

removal

install

Old 07-27-2015, 09:51 PM
dphins
Instructor

It does look pretty straight forward. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:46 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dphins
It does look pretty straight forward. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:15 PM
c6moneypit
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This happened to my car as well
Old 08-03-2015, 12:13 AM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure how easy it is to do while comp. Is in the car?

Has anyone done this?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH
Not sure how easy it is to do while comp. Is in the car?

Has anyone done this?
I've done it.

I unbolted the compressor and pulled it forward/up while leaving the refrigerant connection connected. It will barely squeeze through enough so you can point the front of the compressor "up" to get to the snap rings.

There are a few snap rings that hold the clutch on which are a pain to get off.. it becomes much easier if you can get good access to the front of the compressor.

I used an AC Delco version of the clutch and it has worked fine now for 6-8 months

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-03-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:57 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Great pics, Thanks for posting that.

My AC has gone INOP in the past couple of weeks, need to figure out why and what to replace if the refrig. is on par.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Rogillio
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2009 Vette and tried for 2 days to get the clutch off with no luck. Just too dang tight in there to get the spanner wrench on the clutch to hold it while trying to back out the screws. I had thought about removing the compressor but didn't want to have to drain the refrigerant. Sounds like you found a way to make it work. Did you have to completely remove 4 bolts to move the compressor? I talked to a shop and they said the "book" says they have to remove the front end....and then re-align the car after putting it back on.....all to the tune of $650 or so.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah I removed the bolts to the compressor and with a big of tugging was able to pull the compressor up which gave much easier access to the clutch. In hindsight I wish I had just replaced it while I was at it but I didn't

It's possible I had to loosen the front cradle bolts to give me a little more room to get to the bolts, I'm not 100% sure. I am 100% sure I didn't have to take the front end apart, I did it in the driveway in an afternoon.
The following users liked this post:
Rogillio (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Rogillio
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Yeah I removed the bolts to the compressor and with a big of tugging was able to pull the compressor up which gave much easier access to the clutch. In hindsight I wish I had just replaced it while I was at it but I didn't

It's possible I had to loosen the front cradle bolts to give me a little more room to get to the bolts, I'm not 100% sure. I am 100% sure I didn't have to take the front end apart, I did it in the driveway in an afternoon.
What/where are the 'front cradle bolts'?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:29 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

These nuts. Sorry, working from phone so that’s the best I can do. Loosen them and you can lower the front cradle 1/2” or so, if needed
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Great pics and info
Old 02-20-2018, 09:14 PM
kcotte59
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COMPRESSOR CLUTCH BEARING SPUN- why?

iI removed the broken compressor clutch from the AC compressor and found that the inner bearing race had spun on the fit on the front of the compressor. However the clutch bearing spins freely and smoothly.I was hoping to replace only the clutch but the compressor nose is scoured by the bearing race spinning on it. I could use gap-filling bushing adhesive- it may work, maybe. Anyone else have the same dilemma? Hoping to avoid replacing the compressor and whatever else needs to be replaced. Getting the clutch off of the compressor was easy compared to getting the A/C compressor out. Just needed to remove the bolts holding the compressor in place to re-orient it slightly, and get the right snap ring pliers. I realize that the compressor may be the root cause of the clutch failure but I do not see the reason for the bearing race to spin . One of the 3 spring arms had disconnected on the clutch disc..

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Compressor Problem

Old 02-20-2018, 09:26 PM
kcotte59
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor replacement

Why do you wish that you had replaced the AC compressor? Did it fail soon after you put a new clutch onto it?
I am debating whether to replace only the clutch but the bearing fit on the compressor is compromised.
Clutch only is much easier than trying to get the compressor out.
I didn't have to remove anything to get the AC comp. clutch off- except the bolts holding the compressor to the motor and a radiator hose that was preventing access to the pulley snap ring.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Because it’s not much more work to just replace it and mine is rattling now. I spent $100 on a clutch and did the pita install (mine has a supercharger so I had to remove that and work around some of the piping). Could have spent another $150 and replaced it with a new one and been done
Old 02-21-2018, 04:58 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kcotte59
Why do you wish that you had replaced the AC compressor? Did it fail soon after you put a new clutch onto it?
I am debating whether to replace only the clutch but the bearing fit on the compressor is compromised.
Clutch only is much easier than trying to get the compressor out.
I didn't have to remove anything to get the AC comp. clutch off- except the bolts holding the compressor to the motor and a radiator hose that was preventing access to the pulley snap ring.
I guess here is the proof.

Because it’s not much more work to just replace it and mine is rattling now. I spent $100 on a clutch and did the pita install (mine has a supercharger so I had to remove that and work around some of the piping). Could have spent another $150 and replaced it with a new one and been done
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that schpenxel.. I just seconds ago commented on another thread this guy posted in explaining this identical condition unfortunately being a common occurrence.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Problem