C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new slave Cylinder ++

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:41 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Installed new slave Cylinder ++

So drove around sub in 1st and 2nd was fine. Decided to go on the main road went thru 1st 2nd shifting at like 2000 2500ish. Go for 3rd bitch grinds like I tried to kill it. Like it wasn't lined up or something.. lose the clutch so got no clutch. Drift into yazaki.pushing on clutch pedal got nothing. Push it to the floor. Clutch back but engagement point really high on the pedal now. So I get it home. Bleed the clutch more. Like a whole bottle thru it.go back out. Was easy on it shifting no problems. So I get hard on it like 4500 shift. Goes fine. Go in a parking to turn around. All hard as **** to shift at higher rpms again

And I made sure it was lined up when i pushed the torque tube back in..

So Idk what that was .. any ideas?
Old 07-25-2015, 07:08 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

did you check the bearings in the torque tube when you had it taken apart?
Old 07-25-2015, 07:14 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by russ472
did you check the bearings in the torque tube when you had it taken apart?
No sir. Didn't even think to..
Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

saw your earlier post but didnt chime in. wondering if the bearings are bad and not keeping the input shaft centered? or wait a minute..... did you leave the pilot bearing out?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:06 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

You have worse luck than me. I hope you get this solved once and for all so you can enjoy the car again.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:21 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

saw your earlier post but didnt chime in. wondering if the bearings are bad and not keeping the input shaft centered? or wait a minute..... did you leave the pilot bearing out?
Pilot bearing keeps the end of the input shaft centered. Even if torque tube bearings were fried he wouldn't have these symptoms.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:57 AM
UmX
Safety Car

Pilot bearing was in. Bc when I installed the flywheel to the motor it would of just fell off the back of the block.

With out the pilot bearing.. when i stuck the flywheel to the back of the motor it would of never stayed in.. since the pilot bearings kinda holds it.. But ya its def in their.. So idk what the f is going on

I ran another bottle of dot 4 thru the line last night.. maybe air still in there? But that grinding sound makes me hella concerned..

Last edited by UmX; 07-26-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:21 AM
UmX
Safety Car

Only pic i have ..

Name:  GEPyg6c.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  88.6 KB
Old 07-26-2015, 10:34 AM
UmX
Safety Car

I have a mcleod rxt with a steel fly wheel prob 1500 miles on it.. Drove fine before the motor blew up..

Could it be the clutch? Syncros? Trans? Drive shaft lol.. I am still on a learning curve.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by UmX
Pilot bearing was in. Bc when I installed the flywheel to the motor it would of just fell off the back of the block.

With out the pilot bearing.. when i stuck the flywheel to the back of the motor it would of never stayed in.. since the pilot bearings kinda holds it.. But ya its def in their.. So idk what the f is going on

I ran another bottle of dot 4 thru the line last night.. maybe air still in there? But that grinding sound makes me hella concerned..
That is completely wrong. The pilot bearing does not center the flywheel or hold it in place. There is a lip machined into the crank that centers the flywheel.

Originally Posted by UmX
Only pic i have ..

I can't really see a pilot bearing in that picture but that doesn't mean there isn't one in there.

There are two styles of pilot bearings. A small needle bearing one and a larger ball bearing one. Mine is a 2005 and has the larger style.

Needle bearing style:

Ball bearing style:

Both

Here's what it looks like without a bearing installed
Old 07-26-2015, 11:10 AM
UmX
Safety Car

Ill have to check with the engine builder tomorrow then.. It would be on the motor not on the flywheel right? Lets say there isnt one in there.. could that be causing the issues?

Originally Posted by schpenxel
That is completely wrong. The pilot bearing does not center the flywheel or hold it in place. There is a lip machined into the crank that centers the flywheel.

I can't really see a pilot bearing in that picture but that doesn't mean there isn't one in there.

There are two styles of pilot bearings. A small needle bearing one and a larger ball bearing one. Mine is a 2005 and has the larger style.

Needle bearing style:

Ball bearing style:

Both

Here's what it looks like without a bearing installed
Old 07-26-2015, 11:13 AM
UmX
Safety Car

here is a pic of when i pulled the motor. before i took off the flywheel - now when i removed the flywheel should that bearing stayed on the flywheel?

Name:  fW2EJfZ.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  106.0 KB

Last edited by UmX; 07-26-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:42 AM
UmX
Safety Car

Well i went to the garage and look what i found

Name:  ZSU0Zum.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  65.2 KB

Engine builder next pulled it and installed it..
Old 07-26-2015, 11:49 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

that bearing stays inside the crank snout, so no... it wont come out when you remove the flywheel.
Now when handling the engine, if the bearing is worn and had a somewhat loose fit, it could have fallen out. I would assume if you had any crank work done, the machine shop would have automatically removed it.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:53 AM
UmX
Safety Car

that bearing stays inside the crank snout, so no... it wont come out when you remove the flywheel.
Now when handling the engine, if the bearing is worn and had a somewhat loose fit, it could have fallen out. I would assume if you had any crank work done, the machine shop would have automatically removed it.
Did u see the above pic ? Idk if you missed it..
gonna have to go by the engine builder tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:57 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UmX
Did u see the above pic ? Idk if you missed it..
gonna have to go by the engine builder tomorrow.
you posted that as I was writing a reply, so no i didnt see it until afterwards. but the bearing is definately still in the crank you found in the garage.

question is, did he install a new one before putting it back together.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:58 AM
UmX
Safety Car

you posted that as I was writing a reply, so no i didnt see it until afterwards. but the bearing is definately still in the crank you found in the garage.

question is, did he install a new one before putting it back together.
The engine builder built my short block together.. Only thing i installed was my heads and upper intake and was ready to go.(least I thought).. So new crank was installed by him

Get notified of new replies

To Installed new slave Cylinder ++

Old 07-26-2015, 12:08 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UmX
The engine builder built my short block together.. Only thing i installed was my heads and upper intake and was ready to go.(least I thought).. So new crank was installed by him
so...based off of what you are saying, the engine builder just built the shortblock and was completed by yourself and i am assuming you installed the engine yourself as well.

the engine builder would NOT have installed the pilot bearing during a short block build.

so unless you (engine installer) remembers putting that bearing in there, looks like its gotta come apart again.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:17 PM
UmX
Safety Car

so...based off of what you are saying, the engine builder just built the shortblock and was completed by yourself and i am assuming you installed the engine yourself as well.

the engine builder would NOT have installed the pilot bearing during a short block build.

so unless you (engine installer) remembers putting that bearing in there, looks like its gotta come apart again.
Its def not installed in there.. I mean you would think these people would say hey there is no pilot bearing u need one.. why I am paying them bc i dont know this stuff.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:49 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Looks like you got answers already, but yeah, that bearing is a royal pain to get out without a bearing puller. Doubt it's falling out.

And yes it installs in crank. Gl with it.

Quick Reply: Installed new slave Cylinder ++