C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run flats or not that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:03 PM
ULOSECLOWN
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Run flats or not that is the ?

2009 c6 z51 A6 Michelin run flats 38K mi
Looking to replace tires. Like the michelins but looking at
Yokohama and General tires. Any suggestions for a comfortable, good handling tire that will last. Looking to move away from run flats.
Also looking at Forgestar F14 semi gloss black wheels. Any recommendations? Love this site great info.

Last edited by ULOSECLOWN; 07-26-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:42 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Did you get 38,000 miles all on those tires? Didn't you say you like them? If the answers are yes, why are you looking to change lol? I know they cost a little more but a high performance tire and 38,000 miles, seems OK with me... I love mine
Old 07-26-2015, 04:54 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

kumho ecsta, you won't believe your driving the same car without runflats! once you lose the runflats you'll NEVER go back!
Old 07-26-2015, 04:55 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by psp6158
Did you get 38,000 miles all on those tires? Didn't you say you like them? If the answers are yes, why are you looking to change lol? I know they cost a little more but a high performance tire and 38,000 miles, seems OK with me... I love mine
written by the guy who never drove a vette with out runflats, 38,000 miles?
Old 07-26-2015, 05:32 PM
ULOSECLOWN
Instructor

Originally Posted by psp6158
No this is my second set of tires.. 10K miles on tires about 40% tread left... Just curious, I have never driven the car without run flats.
I have no complaints.. other than not crazy about driving car at 80mph in the rain.... with the michelins. I hear great things about the run flats
and I hear you will never go back once you drive with non run flats.
Thanks for your reply...
Old 07-26-2015, 05:38 PM
ULOSECLOWN
Instructor

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
kumho ecsta, you won't believe your driving the same car without runflats! once you lose the runflats you'll NEVER go back!
Exactly, just curious what the difference is between run flats and normal high performance tires. I use my vette 6 months out of the year...
almiost all highway miles never tracked..

Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:30 PM
c6moneypit
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Run flats tend to be outperformed during cornering because of the way the sidewalls are constructed. If its just for highway driving and you're willing to compromise hard cornering performance than runflats give peace of mind on long trips. A non runflat that I've seen perform well in corners and in the rain are Michelin pilot super sports. Also lasted me 20k miles (highway city and road racing lol) and still have 4.5/32. Great all around tire. Cheaper than equivalent runflats as well.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:03 AM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will get lots of opinions on this. Ultimately, you just have to weigh your personal priorities. When my first tire change time came around about a year ago; I weighed this issue too. I concluded with purchase of Michelin Pilot Super Sports non-runflat. I saved 400$ upfront (non-rft vs run flat). I also purchased small compressor that fits in cubby along with patch kit. Michelin provides 2 years free roadside and tow. Plus I have insurance. Traction and cornering are well beyond OEM Goodyears and with plenty of options available with compressor, Michelin, State Farm if flat occurs. 1300 mile roadtrip last month with no issues Good luck with the decision!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:00 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Wampa
You will get lots of opinions on this. Ultimately, you just have to weigh your personal priorities. When my first tire change time came around about a year ago; I weighed this issue too. I concluded with purchase of Michelin Pilot Super Sports non-runflat. I saved 400$ upfront (non-rft vs run flat). I also purchased small compressor that fits in cubby along with patch kit. Michelin provides 2 years free roadside and tow. Plus I have insurance. Traction and cornering are well beyond OEM Goodyears and with plenty of options available with compressor, Michelin, State Farm if flat occurs. 1300 mile roadtrip last month with no issues Good luck with the decision!
plus, non-runflats give you a quieter and smoother ride.
Thats why i went with them, we all have our personal choice of tires, i went with Nitto Invo.

You will want to invest on the best compressor that will fit in your cubby, one that can fill a nearly flat tire in under 2 minutes. The idea is that it should get you quite a long ways before another refill would be required, unless its a gash. (other tire fix-it stuff can be purchased)
my best compressor...
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
Thats why i went with them, we all have our personal choice of tires, i went with Nitto Invo.

You will want to invest on the best compressor that will fit in your cubby, one that can fill a nearly flat tire in under 2 minutes. The idea is that it should get you quite a long ways before another refill would be required, unless its a gash. (other tire fix-it stuff can be purchased)
my best compressor...
what's the model number of this compressor?
thanks
Old 07-29-2015, 09:20 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Before you go non runflats, get a plug kit and try plugging a tire on your driveway. Then imagine doing it by the side of the road at 10:00 pm or so.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:51 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Before you go non runflats, get a plug kit and try plugging a tire on your driveway. Then imagine doing it by the side of the road at 10:00 pm or so.
thats why i want the best compressor (that will fit in a cubby) , good insurance tow service. i do have a kit, and yes, it will most likely never get used and fail if i even try.

compressor.. 00085 also listed as 85P. i had air-up times doc but lost it.
(slightly better one, uses battery clips, is.. http://www.viaircorp.com/88P.html )
Attached Images  

Last edited by ChevyDave; 07-29-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: update of another viair compressor
Old 07-29-2015, 11:48 AM
lowes48
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see how many guys that think you MUST have run flats have them on EVERTHING they own??? Evan nascar doesn't use run flats!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:51 AM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Non run flats. Most people have road side assistance and a phone. I also have a plug kit and a small pump too. Never experienced a total flat but I have used the pump to air up a low tire. Worked great. Ill never go back to the run-craps.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:01 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,408 Likes on 847 Posts

No run flats
Carry this:

and this:

And be happy
Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ChevyDave

my best compressor...
I would get the 720 P viair but I agree anbout the pump
Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM
kfede1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c6moneypit
Run flats tend to be outperformed during cornering because of the way the sidewalls are constructed. If its just for highway driving and you're willing to compromise hard cornering performance than runflats give peace of mind on long trips. A non runflat that I've seen perform well in corners and in the rain are Michelin pilot super sports. Also lasted me 20k miles (highway city and road racing lol) and still have 4.5/32. Great all around tire. Cheaper than equivalent runflats as well.
I switched to a slightly upsized set of these. Night and day traction for me, so much better, and rated to run for a lot more miles that my original Goodyear tires. I will not go back to run flats.

Get notified of new replies

To Run flats or not that is the ?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:00 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Michelin SS non run flats best move you could make.

I think I've had 2 flats in the past 20 years and one was a blow out from hitting something on the highway.

I had to ask myself one question.....do I get a lot of flat tires????
Answer...NO!

Between the regular tires and removing the Z51 shocks the comfort-ability of the drive is like night and day. I am not going to spend this much money on a car and deal with a suckjob ride.

I'm also not one of those guys who live in Fear of what "could" happen. If I were I would be worried about the big rock coming on 9/23.

Last edited by ls1121; 07-29-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
I'm also not one of those guys who live in Fear of what "could" happen. If I were I would be worried about the big rock coming on 9/23.
OK, making a note on my calendar for 9/23.........keep Vette in garage that day....
Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 PM
NC-LT4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
Michelin SS non run flats best move you could make.

I think I've had 2 flats in the past 20 years and one was a blow out from hitting something on the highway.

I had to ask myself one question.....do I get a lot of flat tires????
Answer...NO!

Between the regular tires and removing the Z51 shocks the comfort-ability of the drive is like night and day. I am not going to spend this much money on a car and deal with a suckjob ride.

What kind of shocks did you replace the Z51 shocks with?

Quick Reply: Run flats or not that is the ?