C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Fuel Filter location

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6 Fuel Filter location

Where is the fuel filter on a 2005 C6 located, and when should it be changed? Thanks
Old 07-27-2015, 12:52 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,696 Posts

They have been non-serviceable since about 2003. The EPA weenies don't want normal idiots dripping fuel on the ground when changing fuel filters.

There is only a fuel strainer/filter on the inlet side of the fuel pump now so you have to drop the tank if you want to change it. It's supposed to be a "lifetime" filter.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Originally Posted by Timothy Barth
Where is the fuel filter on a 2005 C6 located, and when should it be changed? Thanks
Thanks for your reply. Hopefully "lifetime" does not have me sitting on the side of the road one day.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:04 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully "lifetime" does not have me sitting on the side of the road one day.
if the "fuel filter: doesn't leave you stranded there is always the "fuel level sender" that can take up the slack.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
if the "fuel filter: doesn't leave you stranded there is always the "fuel level sender" that can take up the slack.
I have not heard about this. Does this problem effect the fuel gauge or shut down the engine?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:42 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
just use some "techron" every once and a while
Old 07-30-2015, 02:34 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

What they said...
Old 07-30-2015, 09:20 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

I have not heard about this. Does this problem effect the fuel gauge or shut down the engine?
Fuel gauge only.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:03 PM
Dan K
Advanced

Default Fuel leaking back to tank

I have a base 05 Vette and some times it takes a few seconds to start because the fuel has leaked back into the tank. I just hate to think that I have to take the tank out to fix this problem. I know there is a fuel filter/regulator back near the tank that regulates fuel pressure and returns un needed fuel back to the tank. Is there a one-way valve in this filter/regulator? Could the leak be in the regulator part allowing fuel to leak back through the return line? Also, if not and the only check valve is in the tank is there a way to install one between the filter/regulator and the tank? If not there should be! Any ideas of a fix without having to pull the tank would be appreciated.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:27 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dan K
I have a base 05 Vette and some times it takes a few seconds to start because the fuel has leaked back into the tank. I just hate to think that I have to take the tank out to fix this problem. I know there is a fuel filter/regulator back near the tank that regulates fuel pressure and returns un needed fuel back to the tank. Is there a one-way valve in this filter/regulator? Could the leak be in the regulator part allowing fuel to leak back through the return line? Also, if not and the only check valve is in the tank is there a way to install one between the filter/regulator and the tank? If not there should be! Any ideas of a fix without having to pull the tank would be appreciated.
The pressure regulator/check valve are all part of the fuel pump module inside the left tank. There is no return line.

Confirm that you have a fuel pressure problem with a gauge on the test port at the fuel rail. If you do, make sure there isn't an external leak or leaking injector.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:20 PM
Dan K
Advanced

Thanks for your reply. I did the fuel pressure check and did not find a problem but it is intermittent so it well could have been working fine when I did that check. I had the injectors tested and cleaned so there should not be a problem there. I have not smelled gas in the garage so I do not think it is a leak anywhere and I would think if it was a leak that the problem would be there all the time not intermittently. Has anyone ever tried putting a fuel line with a check valve between the tank outlet and the line that attaches to it heading to the fuel rail? It seems like it might solve the problem or at the least lessen the time it takes to get fuel to the injectors.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:47 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dan K
Thanks for your reply. I did the fuel pressure check and did not find a problem but it is intermittent so it well could have been working fine when I did that check. I had the injectors tested and cleaned so there should not be a problem there. I have not smelled gas in the garage so I do not think it is a leak anywhere and I would think if it was a leak that the problem would be there all the time not intermittently. Has anyone ever tried putting a fuel line with a check valve between the tank outlet and the line that attaches to it heading to the fuel rail? It seems like it might solve the problem or at the least lessen the time it takes to get fuel to the injectors.
Check the fuel pressure after letting the car sit for a few days. Your starting problem may be unrelated to fuel pressure. It could be a cam sensor, for example.

If you do have a leaky check valve, I just fix it right. Dropping the tank isn't that bad.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:22 PM
Dan K
Advanced

Here is some more info. I have just had to replace the cam and install new lifters. I am sure you know what that intales. The issue with starting and having to wait for fuel to get to the injectors happened just before I started tearing the car down for the cam and lifter job. The car has always run fine after it started up. The first few starts after I finished the cam/lifter job were fine but the last few I have had to wait for fuel to get the the injectors then once it starts it is fine. What are the symptoms of a cam sensor problem? If that is having a problem would that show up on a scan? Would a cam sensor problem just show up when starting the car and then be fine after it started running? Appreciate your help, Dan
Old 04-11-2021, 07:35 PM
Dan K
Advanced

I just posted a new thread in C6 tech/performance and explained the problem and steps I have taken to find out what is going on. It is still very baffling to me. Hoping to get some help from my new post.
Thanks,
Dan

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Fuel Filter location

Quick Reply: C6 Fuel Filter location