C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Instrument Cluster, Windows, Radios, and Locks Go Crazy, BCM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ClashBandicoot
Really? Is there a recall? Can I call a dealer and provide them with my VIN to see if they did the recall on my car yet for that? 2008 C6 LS3. Should i check the headlight fuse? Even when i click on the first light switch, not the headlights, but just the taillights, the car still goes bonkers, wonder if this is all triggered by the same thing?
You have something going on in the lighting circuit. So the parking light circuit causes this as well. I wonder if the recall fix had anything to do with this...should be free to check that.

What's funny is that a short to ground will normally blow a fuse, not just draw the alternator to zero output... You could go one by one and unplug each parking light bulb and see if anything changes, perhaps one is shorted.

I wonder if perhaps the recall fix shorted out the parking light relay. You might pull that relay and swap it with another one and see if anything changes (relays are all the same).

You could also pull apart the fusebox (disconnect negative terminal first) and see if anything looks amiss, normally something like you are experience will be evidenced by corrosion that will help you pinpoint a problem. I had a crazy power backed on my 1997 F150 and turns out the windshield was leaking onto the fusebox and caused corrosion on the back of the fusebox wiring, I cleaned it and it was perfect from then on (I replaced the windshield as well). There was green corrosion showing me what the problem was.

Here's some pics on the fusebox dismantled.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...omer-care.html
Old 11-04-2015, 12:30 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
You have something going on in the lighting circuit. So the parking light circuit causes this as well. I wonder if the recall fix had anything to do with this...should be free to check that.

What's funny is that a short to ground will normally blow a fuse, not just draw the alternator to zero output... You could go one by one and unplug each parking light bulb and see if anything changes, perhaps one is shorted.

I wonder if perhaps the recall fix shorted out the parking light relay. You might pull that relay and swap it with another one and see if anything changes (relays are all the same).

You could also pull apart the fusebox (disconnect negative terminal first) and see if anything looks amiss, normally something like you are experience will be evidenced by corrosion that will help you pinpoint a problem. I had a crazy power backed on my 1997 F150 and turns out the windshield was leaking onto the fusebox and caused corrosion on the back of the fusebox wiring, I cleaned it and it was perfect from then on (I replaced the windshield as well). There was green corrosion showing me what the problem was.

Here's some pics on the fusebox dismantled.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...omer-care.html
I think i'll leave the fusebox as is for now, i might check the parking light relay too. or perhaps the bulbs themselves, how many are there in total?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:30 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Oh an my air conditioning doesn't work when i turn on my headlights, i lose power to ALOT of things unfortunately.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I think i'll leave the fusebox as is for now, i might check the parking light relay too. or perhaps the bulbs themselves, how many are there in total?
2 DRL's (you don't have Led switcher DRL's do you? your resistor may have gone bad and is really resisting)

4 taillights

4 marker lights
Old 11-04-2015, 01:51 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
2 DRL's (you don't have Led switcher DRL's do you? your resistor may have gone bad and is really resisting)

4 taillights

4 marker lights
what do you mean by LED switcher DRLs? Where can i check the resistor
Old 11-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Some people install LED bulbs in their turn signals or tail lights. When you do that, you need to install resistors or the car thinks a bulb is burned out and the blinkers blink too fast.

If you didn't install LED bulbs you don't have resistors for them.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Spoke to a dealer on the phone, and they said my car had the headlight recall was already done in april, as the low-beams were inoperable?

Ok so maybe this wasn't fixed all the way? Time to take the car into the dealer?
Hello ClashBandicoot,

Apologies for the headlight concern you are experiencing with your Corvette. I see that other forum members are offering some great advice, but please let us know should you decide to bring your vehicle in to your dealership. We would be more than happy to provide an additional layer of assistance while your vehicle is in service. Feel free to send us a private message containing your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership if this is of interest to you.

Kindly,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
The following users liked this post:
ClashBandicoot (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 11:24 AM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello ClashBandicoot,

Apologies for the headlight concern you are experiencing with your Corvette. I see that other forum members are offering some great advice, but please let us know should you decide to bring your vehicle in to your dealership. We would be more than happy to provide an additional layer of assistance while your vehicle is in service. Feel free to send us a private message containing your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership if this is of interest to you.

Kindly,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hi Julie,

Just sent you a private message. Let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks,

Brett

Quick Reply: 2005 Instrument Cluster, Windows, Radios, and Locks Go Crazy, BCM?