C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! How to remove black rubber glue from my 427 vert.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 05:53 PM
STROKED 66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! How to remove black rubber glue from my 427 vert.

Just bought a heritage 427 vert (white w/ silver). The dealer installed a "universal" license plate frame on the stripes and white painted area. I removed the black plastic frame as soon as I got home however, now I am stumped on how to remove the three black rubbery glue spots before they dry completely. Goo-gone does not seem to touch it, any ideas (proven tactics)...
Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Can't say it's proven on the type of adhesive you have but those products, goo-gone, goof-off, etc, all need to "soak" the adhesive for a good 5 minutes or more. Then it gets fairly easy to remove. Hope it works.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:25 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Can't say it's proven on the type of adhesive you have but those products, goo-gone, goof-off, etc, all need to "soak" the adhesive for a good 5 minutes or more. Then it gets fairly easy to remove. Hope it works.
Careful on answers from non chemists. Goo Gone is a terpene- specifically d limonene. Its made from orange peels... and probably will take off the glue if left on long enough but I'd add water to it to buffer its activity. Goo Gone used straight has the same solvency as acetone so its very strong in solvency power; and it could ---could hurt the paint.

First I'd try methanol and see if that dissolved it.

If I resorted to goo gone or d- limonene - whatever you want to call it use a 50/50 mix with water, place an old rag whites wet in the microwave and heat it until hot, then use that buffered solution to carefully remove the adhesive. Try it on a small area first and make sure its clean and the paint condition is copasceptic once you're done, then clean the full larger area.
Allow to dry for 2 to 3 days and clay bar the spot, followed by carnauba wax (i use Mothers) to finish it.

Another possibility is to use a snow floss kaolin based cleaning polish like Mequiers sells, or turtle wax to remove the adhesive and then just polish it off Follow with clay bar and carnauba as well.

Many adhesives such as those used to hold paper on lean are low molecular weight adhesives and will dissolve in methanol. Other higher MW adhesives require to be dissolved away. The nice thing about polish is that the snow floss koala surrounds and adheres to the adhesive - deblocking it so that can be removed via simple polishing. It all come down to how much is on there. You might also try mental spirits, but things like thinner will attack the stripes. You can always call the manufacturer and ask how they recommend to remove it. Heated d limonene is 5 to 6 times more effective as the hot solution dissolves the glue much much faster.

Last edited by The_Raging_Bull; 07-28-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I removed the same type of front plate from mine immediately after purchase. Heat gun (or hair dryer) is best! Especially if you have vinyl stripes in that area--I would be nervous about chemicals on adhesives around stripes. Mine went very smoothly; apply heat and remove adhesive. Use Compound/polish (you can buy at any parts store) to remove remaining residue.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:08 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree hair dryer to heat will help. no fear from delamination of the stripe if methanol will clean it, vinyl stripes are insoluble in any type alcohol, nor will alcohols swell vinyls on exposure.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! How to remove black rubber glue from my 427 vert.

Quick Reply: Help! How to remove black rubber glue from my 427 vert.