C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS7 in my Z06 - Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Default New LS7 in my Z06 - Question

A new LS7 was installed into my Z06. Work finished this afternoon. I talked with the technician briefly late this afternoon. I said to him "after its all together, just do a basic "street" alignment." Nothing drastic, I'm not taking this car to the track anymore. I'll return to the track next year with a C7Z06.

He tells me an alignment isn't necessary. How could that be? After removing the engine cradle and everything else that's involved when removing an engine how can the front end of the car not need to be aligned?
It just seems impossible to me.
I WILL get it aligned at Phoenix once the car gets out of the Chevrolet dealership but I'm just shocked that they think an alignment is not needed. Am I missing something here? Or is the Chevrolet tech missing something here.
Interested in what people think about this.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:50 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
A new LS7 was installed into my Z06. Work finished this afternoon. I talked with the technician briefly late this afternoon. I said to him "after its all together, just do a basic "street" alignment." Nothing drastic, I'm not taking this car to the track anymore. I'll return to the track next year with a C7Z06.

He tells me an alignment isn't necessary. How could that be? After removing the engine cradle and everything else that's involved when removing an engine how can the front end of the car not need to be aligned?
It just seems impossible to me.
I WILL get it aligned at Phoenix once the car gets out of the Chevrolet dealership but I'm just shocked that they think an alignment is not needed. Am I missing something here? Or is the Chevrolet tech missing something here.
Interested in what people think about this.
Glenn, it should be ok. the Cradle is aligned with tapered pins so it goes back real close to original. If the steering wheel isn't centered that is your clue that it needs done probably then the cradle would need shifted to equalize camber settings and center the wheel
Old 07-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I agree with both of you, and I would have it checked anyway, as you plan to do.

I would also pay very close attention to the oil system, to ensure that the new engine breaks in properly.

Depending on why you had to have it replaced would play into how much attention I gave it.

Meaning, if it was because of an engine failure, hopefully they really flushed out the entire dry sump system thoroughly, etc.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Thank you both. I appreciate your replays.

I will keep an eye on the oil. I'll change it at 500 miles and 2000 for starters.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Previous responses are correct. Still worth checking, but you'd be surprised how much of the suspension stays together when dropping either front or rear cradles. You can keep all the alignment stuff as-is actually. As long as the cradles go back on in the same place, alignment should remain the same.

Again.. still probably worth checking.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:51 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Previous responses are correct. Still worth checking, but you'd be surprised how much of the suspension stays together when dropping either front or rear cradles. You can keep all the alignment stuff as-is actually. As long as the cradles go back on in the same place, alignment should remain the same.

Again.. still probably worth checking.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2015, 07:52 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
Thanks

If it hasn't been aligned for a while, and you used to be somewhat hard on it, Id do it anyway.
Think he probably test drove it, felt it was ok, and figured he'd save you money.
Fact is, they dropped the ball a bit. They could have and probably should included the alignment in the estimate. Always better safe than sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To New LS7 in my Z06 - Question

Quick Reply: New LS7 in my Z06 - Question