C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dull banging noise when turning left only during hard turns 40mph+

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:43 PM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Dull banging noise when turning left only during hard turns 40mph+

Just picked my car up from the shop for unrelated work and noticed when making hard left turns there is some sort of grinding or banging noise coming from what sounds like the passenger side door. So much so that I thought the door wasn't closed. It never happened before, and only happens during hard turns at any speed above 40 mph.

The car has a complete set of new wheel bearings only about 15,000 miles old.

It almost sounds like I am running over a bunch of debris on that side but much more muffled and I do not get any kind of physical feedback through the car or steering wheel.

There is nothing hanging from or abnormal about the rocker panels, wheel wells, or suspension from what I can see on quick inspection

The car has whatever stock suspension is on a f55 optioned car but shocks swapped with a set of LG GT2 coilovers. The ride height nor quality has not changed since the noise started

Otherwise it drives completely normal

Any thoughts or possible things to look at?
Old 07-31-2015, 10:21 AM
WasVette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Illusion Of Progress
Just picked my car up from the shop for unrelated work and noticed when making hard left turns there is some sort of grinding or banging noise coming from what sounds like the passenger side door. So much so that I thought the door wasn't closed. It never happened before, and only happens during hard turns at any speed above 40 mph.

The car has a complete set of new wheel bearings only about 15,000 miles old.

It almost sounds like I am running over a bunch of debris on that side but much more muffled and I do not get any kind of physical feedback through the car or steering wheel.

There is nothing hanging from or abnormal about the rocker panels, wheel wells, or suspension from what I can see on quick inspection

The car has whatever stock suspension is on a f55 optioned car but shocks swapped with a set of LG GT2 coilovers. The ride height nor quality has not changed since the noise started

Otherwise it drives completely normal

Any thoughts or possible things to look at?
I had similar issue on a different sports car (non-Corvette). Took weeks and multiple forum postings. Looked at everything, shocks, strut mounts, sways, etc, etc, etc.

Turned out to be a loose motor mount. Went with solid mounts during a header install and one of the mounts came slightly loose. Prob not your problem but something to rule out.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:05 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exhaust making contact with something underneath? Tran or diff for example?

When car is warm gently shake exhaust pipes from rear see if you hear or feel contact?

Something easy to rule out if nothing else...........

LA
Old 08-06-2015, 01:28 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you inspected your suspension end links? they tend to wear out. that is where I would start.

remove each one and inspect the boot and how they swivel -- I am willing to bet one or more is blown.

Last edited by C6topless; 08-06-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Alien
Exhaust making contact with something underneath? Tran or diff for example?

When car is warm gently shake exhaust pipes from rear see if you hear or feel contact?
A

This was my first thought, as I've had this exact issue before. If the exhaust was loosened or removed, and then reinstalled without watching the spacing during tightening, it will hit with a sound like you describe, and usually just in hard turns.

Grab the tailpipe and shake hard left to right.

PROTIP: Make sure exhaust isn't too hot before grabbing the pipe... LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Dull banging noise when turning left only during hard turns 40mph+

Quick Reply: Dull banging noise when turning left only during hard turns 40mph+