C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85 and Highflow Cats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:13 AM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default E85 and Highflow Cats?

I will be tuning my car on e85 here in the next few weeks.
My question is, will e85 and highflow cats be a problem? I searched and there was little to no info on it. I'm assuming it won't be, but I always like to get knowledgable opinions! I just don't want to be "blowing out the cat"
Old 08-03-2015, 03:43 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Originally Posted by emoFTW
I will be tuning my car on e85 here in the next few weeks.
My question is, will e85 and highflow cats be a problem? I searched and there was little to no info on it. I'm assuming it won't be, but I always like to get knowledgable opinions! I just don't want to be "blowing out the cat"
Not a problem,

The cats are just honeycomb ceramic that get hot by the exhaust flowing through them (heat transfer), and as any unburnt fuel flows in the exhaust gases through (even E85) the Hot honey combs , then heat of the combs helps to burn the unburnt fuel.

So fuels are not the problem with catalytic converter since they burn clean in themselves, but oil that is burnt and pushed through them instead to foul and clog the comb passages instead.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Awesome info! That's great to know! Thank you very much!

Get notified of new replies

To E85 and Highflow Cats?

Quick Reply: E85 and Highflow Cats?