C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me understand my column lock!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Please help me understand my column lock!

So I just bought an 05 6 speed with 54000 miles with z51. Everything was fine when I test drove the car and I never had a problem with the car not starting for any reason. Once I got home though I am having issue after issue with the car not starting when I hit the button. Sometimes it will say service column lock and sometimes it won't. Sometimes the column feels locked and sometimes it does not. When I got home from work today I got out of my truck and went straight to the bette to start it up and it would not and it said service column lock. I disconnected the battery and still nothing. Later tonight I disconnected both terminals for 30 minutes then went and put them back on and tried to start it and got nothing. I hit the off button opened the door then shut it and waited 15 seconds or so and she fired up. Does this sound like a 100% column lock issue to you guys or is this a combination of that and another electrical problem? If it is that would the column lock bypass kit resolve my issue fully? I've read a lot of threads but just not sure exactly what to do. thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 01:14 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check battery first; don't be fooled by "it's a new battery" .....verify its good. The only time my column lock acts up is with a weak battery.

Also, if you have the tilt / tele column, there is a recall on the 05's for the Active Handling issue.

I'm not saying your column lock is not the problem, but a weak battery will affect almost every system in these cars.

Quick Reply: Please help me understand my column lock!