C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 clutch set up behind LS7? LT4 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:36 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default LT1 clutch set up behind LS7? LT4 clutch?

Is anyone using the new LT1 clutch set up behind the LS7? Actually, behind the LS3 as well? If so, what do you think about it? Is the engagement nice?

Is the clutch behind the LT4 different? Looking to change the clutch on my Z06 for something a bit less "marbles in a can" that can perform.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Is anyone using the new LT1 clutch set up behind the LS7? Actually, behind the LS3 as well? If so, what do you think about it? Is the engagement nice?

Is the clutch behind the LT4 different? Looking to change the clutch on my Z06 for something a bit less "marbles in a can" that can perform.
The nickname "Marbles in the can" is not the clutch. It's the noise of transmission gear slack when leaving from a stop. I've had the "marbles in the can" on my 08 corvette since new. 67k miles later with a new clutch, two manual transmission fluid changes and still " marbles in the can" . It is transmission related and normal.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 08-14-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:42 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

I have the LT1 clutch on my Z06.

Originally Posted by ttx350z
Well, I finally have enough traffic use with the LT1-S to give my initial impression

My clutch was installed by Horsepower Addicts in Delaware. Yes, I drove my Z06 from ND to DE (1,700 miles one way) for a clutch install. I'll also have the monster billet release bearing support. Why you ask? Might as well swap the factory plastic support that is known to melt and cause a slave failure while a new slave was going in. $80 to prevent a slave failure, I'll take it anyday and the part is reusable so you can swap to another slave in the future. My car also has a Tick master cylinder that I installed a 8~ months ago.

After it was installed, I drove to Cornwall, New York. Then Cornwall, NY back to ND. I'm currently still in Wisconsin but I had to drive through Chicagos stop and go traffic.

Well initial impression:

Pedal feel - The same to me. Nothing jumped out of the ordinary to report. I could sit in New York City's, Chicago's, or L.A.'s traffic all day and not get a tired leg.

Engagment was a touch more aggressive then what I could recall with my stock. Nothing crazy but just a slight difference.

Noise - Very very very slight rattle at idle in neutral with clutch engage. Like i have to turn the radio off and actively try to listen to the clutch. For reference, my old TT 350z with a JWT twin disk sounded like rocks in a coffee can.

Holding power - holds 540whp fine. My old clutch was on it's last leg. I would get a long pedal after a single 60-120 pull. The new clutch took that and pedal stayed the same. I know it's only one pull but it's all I can do right now. I'll have to wait for an autocross or something later.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:25 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ttx350z
I have the LT1 clutch on my Z06.
What flywheel did you go with? Did you use the light weight option? This is the same package I was looking at.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:29 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

I went with the standard weight.

Also, from what I've researched the LT4 clutch is basically the same. The pressure plate has a different PN.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:44 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
The nickname "Marbles in the can" is not the clutch. It's the noise of transmission gear slack when leaving from a stop. I've had the "marbles in the can" on my 08 corvette since new. 67k miles later with a new clutch, two manual transmission fluid changes and still " marbles in the can" . It is transmission related and normal.
No, not necessarily. Gear rollover noise is caused by the clutch friction disc not having springs to cushion the pulsing that happens each time a spark plug fires. It's more noticeable at lower RPM's since there's more time between each boom. Some aftermarket clutches use solid friction discs, some don't.

Unstrapped/unspring floater plates will rattle and make some noise when the clutch is disengaged. This is absolutely 100% the clutch, not the transmission. This is what a lot of people know as the "marbles in a can" noise.

Mantic uses sprung floaters. Monster uses strapped floaters. Both accomplish the same thing and stop the floater plate(s) from moving around while the clutch is disengaged.

I'm sure others use strapped or sprung floaters, those are just two I'm familiar with.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by schpenxel
No, not necessarily. Gear rollover noise is caused by the clutch friction disc not having springs to cushion the pulsing that happens each time a spark plug fires. It's more noticeable at lower RPM's since there's more time between each boom. Some aftermarket clutches use solid friction discs, some don't.

Unstrapped/unspring floater plates will rattle and make some noise when the clutch is disengaged. This is absolutely 100% the clutch, not the transmission. This is what a lot of people know as the "marbles in a can" noise.

Mantic uses sprung floaters. Monster uses strapped floaters. Both accomplish the same thing and stop the floater plate(s) from moving around while the clutch is disengaged.

I'm sure others use strapped or sprung floaters, those are just two I'm familiar with.
I stand corrected. When researching clutches, I did read about unstrapped or unspring floaters increasing the "marbles in the can" noise with dual disc clutches. Fortunately, I have a Mantic clutch because I do not need any more "marbles in the my can".

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 08-15-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:30 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I stand corrected. When researching clutches, I did read about unstrapped or unspring floaters increasing the "marbles in the can" noise with dual disc clutches. Fortunately, I have a Mantic clutch because I do not need any more "marbles in the my can".
Mantic has a nice clutch for sure. I started off with one of those but made a mistake on the install, and made the mistake of buying a used clutch. I learned a lot from that one.

I got my twin disc monster in today and no noises at all from the clutch. It's exactly like stock. Very happy with how quiet it is.

(although my failing power steering pump was making plenty of noise! haha)
Old 08-16-2015, 09:17 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Mantic has a nice clutch for sure. I started off with one of those but made a mistake on the install, and made the mistake of buying a used clutch. I learned a lot from that one.

I got my twin disc monster in today and no noises at all from the clutch. It's exactly like stock. Very happy with how quiet it is.

After some miles would you consider doing a comparison between the Mantic and Monster? Those 2 appear to be the top 2 choices for street driving
Old 08-16-2015, 09:19 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

I am glad your Monster twin disc is installed and you are happy with it. I too wanted the stock feel with more holding power. Since I do not track my car, I elected to go with the organic disc which are less prone to chatter. Good luck with the power steering pump.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 08-16-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Buddy A
After some miles would you consider doing a comparison between the Mantic and Monster? Those 2 appear to be the top 2 choices for street driving
Unfortunately the Mantic I installed never worked correctly, so I can't really give a fair comparison. This is NOT the clutches fault. It is a great clutch judging by all the people that love them... I bought one used and was lied to about the condition, then made a mistake during the install. I didn't clean the ARP lube off of the flywheel bolts well enough so it slung all over the flywheel and got between the flywheel and friction disc. The flywheel looked like someone and taken a grinder to it when I removed it after a few hundred miles.

On the Monster LT1-S twin--I'll update more after I drive it some more, but so far it drives like a stock clutch. Very light pedal and grabs, etc. just like stock. No noise.

I was a tester for the Monster LT1-S triple but unfortunately we found that it made a bit too much noise for me. My car is extremely quiet, so that didn't help (probably 100lbs in sound proofing, new wheel bearings, tires, etc.) That issue has been fixed in the current revision, but I wanted to be 100% sure it would be quiet, so I went with the twin instead of re-installing a triple.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 clutch set up behind LS7? LT4 clutch?

Quick Reply: LT1 clutch set up behind LS7? LT4 clutch?