C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New method of changing C6 fuel pumps

Old 08-26-2015, 01:10 AM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

This looks like a Backwoods DIY fuel pump change. Damn, I would be pissed!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow! That's insane. Now I remember why I do my own wrenching. I would be livid!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Blindfingers
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

OP, what made you go looking that you uncovered this cluster?
I don't know if I would have opened up the car as I would have "trusted" the shop to do the job correctly.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:30 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by Blindfingers
I don't know if I would have opened up the car as I would have "trusted" the shop to do the job correctly.
From what I recall from previous posts...he's been fighting fuel issues for a while.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I know its common among the F body guys to cut a hole in the rear trunk floor to get to the fuel pump but Id never imagine that on a vette. I couldnt even bring myself to do it on my camaro.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

I like the idea...but I do not know if structural rigidity is compromised...and therefore this idea is a complete failure.

So, is this technique a valid technique?
There are many posts about the difficulty of steps needed when installing new fuel pumps.
Is this repair technique a need that some proven shop can better and provide?

Last generation Pontiac Firebirds have a similar issue.
The fuel pump is onto of the tank and there seems to be a proven technique to cut the trunk floor and install an access panel.
Pontiac should have made this fuel pump repair easier from the get go.
4 hour job now a 1 hour job and very easy for a DIYer.
BUT you do have to modify the OEM design.

Ferrari 355 requires engine removal to install a timing belt. Their 360 model was updated to have an access panel behind the seats for the same job.

So for a C6 cut an access hole on top behind the seats to remove the pumps and install the transfer tube and cut an access hole on the left side wheel well to access wiring and tubes. Lastly, create a study access panel to bolt in over the cut access holes.

Again I like the idea, but do not know if the idea is a complete failure.

Interesting topic.

Yet, for the OP this repair technique was a surprise and the duct tape is a fail. I hope his invoice was heavily discounted from book time with this short cut. I'd be upset if it was my Vette.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I seriously doubt it hurts it structurally, but who knows.

They didn't cut the frame. Frame is below that and not touched. They did hack into parts attached to the frame.

Even with the top hole, no idea how they would swap a pump. It only takes ~45 minutes to drop the tank in a manual car. I did it last week, it isn't bad.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Some more of the story

It is true, I have had a nightmare with a Aeromotive Fuel Pump that was heating up and causing cavitation or vapor lock or whatever you call it, but it left me stranded numerous times on the side of the road. I had a shop order a new dual pump system and had them do (what is now known as) the creative engineering install. During the install, the check valve was not put on, so I went back to have it fixed. As it turned out, the shop installed a "used" AN Fitting as part of the check valve install. Later that day we smelled gas, so I made arrangements to have a smoke test done on the fuel system. Test was negative, but there was a very strong odor of fuel coming from the rear drivers side wheel well. After removing the inner wheel well liner, I was asked if I knew anything about duct tape on what I would call the bulkhead behind the wheel. Well, after inspecting this area, the gruesome discovery was made. The smell there was coming from a "used" AN Adapter installed by the owner, so I bought a new one and shelled out another $110.00 to the dealership for doing the smoke test.

Thinking about this does cause me distress, and I am unsure of how to proceed. Everyone tells me to call an attorney, so if there are any "Corvette Attorney's" out there (please nobody with non-legal advise) please PM me with some ideas.

Originally Posted by Blindfingers
Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Before getting an attorney, see what the shop will do. If they are willing to fix it, or have a shop nicely weld in a plate, and grind/paint/etc then that is a better option. You only need a lawyer if they won't make you happy. Get some quotes to fix it, and then present them with them, and see if they pay. No reason to get a lawyer until they refuse to play ball.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:51 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Default Advise

Good advise, thank you.

Originally Posted by Unreal
Before getting an attorney, see what the shop will do. If they are willing to fix it, or have a shop nicely weld in a plate, and grind/paint/etc then that is a better option. You only need a lawyer if they won't make you happy. Get some quotes to fix it, and then present them with them, and see if they pay. No reason to get a lawyer until they refuse to play ball.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Good Post!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,003 Likes on 2,167 Posts

If a shop cut into my vet like that, they would be writing me a check to buy the car, and pay for my time to find a replacement vet as well.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I agree in general about not lawyering up unless necessary, but in this case, given the butchering and attempt to hide it -- I don't think I'd trust them to 'fix' it unless I had the time to sit in their shop and watch how they did it.

I'd also be VERY leery about anyone welding in close proximity to the gas tank, especially with the history of fuel leakage in that area (boom!), and, given the tank is plastic, it could easily be damaged by careless welding splatter. I would think the only proper way to do it would be to drop the tank and *then* perform the frame repair.

Last edited by Kent1999; 08-26-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Either way, get some quotes, figure out what it takes it fix, then go ask them in writing, to cut you a check for whatever that is that makes you happy. I wouldn't let them fix it either, but I would expect them to pay for it.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:10 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

wow what a butcher job, nothing against butchers.
I did the trap door mod on my Camaro Z28 and I did a real nice job.
If it becomes necessary to replace the fuel pump on my Corvette I might do something similar to my Camaro but nothing this Horrible. I've heard people talk about having to drop the rear to Change the pump, I will not go that route.

On another note.....If I did not authorize a shop to cut into my Corvette like what has happened here I would contact legal help because for me there is nothing that could make this car "as good as original" in my mind. Shame on them.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:21 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ls1121
wow what a butcher job, nothing against butchers.
I did the trap door mod on my Camaro Z28 and I did a real nice job.
If it becomes necessary to replace the fuel pump on my Corvette I might do something similar to my Camaro but nothing this Horrible. I've heard people talk about having to drop the rear to Change the pump, I will not go that route.

On another note.....If I did not authorize a shop to cut into my Corvette like what has happened here I would contact legal help because for me there is nothing that could make this car "as good as original" in my mind. Shame on them.
You'd have to cut a fairly large hole in the trunk to have any chance of getting the pump out of a Corvette with the tanks still in. It's quite a long assembly and has to come out straight due to it being such a tight fit

You can pull the tank out without dropping the rear cradle. It is easier with the transmission out of the way for sure.. but many have done it without dropping everything. I've pulled the passenger tank before with everything installed and the driver tank with everything removed

I would not cut into the car regardless..
Old 08-29-2015, 01:35 PM
FormulaLS1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This works really well on F-bodys but idk about doing it on a Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To New method of changing C6 fuel pumps

Old 08-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It seems like you'd waste more time with that hack job. Granted, removing the tank is a PITA job with tight access and a virtual guarantee of skinned knuckles, but once you've done it a few times it really doesn't take all that long.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:04 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Default Mechanics

It is funny you should say that, I heard these rocket scientists have done some real "chop jobs" on a few of those too, I think they found a time saving method of removing those tanks too.

It is really nice to know there are shops out there that after spending thousands of dollars, they do such juvenile ****** surgery on a nice Vette and don't blink an eye. After confronting the surgeon with his handy work, he made it sound so "as a matter of fact" it was scary. Some people just don't give a f__k, I see this business nose diving as the list of **** work continues thru the performance vehicle scene in this city..

Originally Posted by FormulaLS1
This works really well on F-bodys but idk about doing it on a Vette.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:46 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by secrt0007agt
It is funny you should say that, I heard these rocket scientists have done some real "chop jobs" on a few of those too, I think they found a time saving method of removing those tanks too.

It is really nice to know there are shops out there that after spending thousands of dollars, they do such juvenile ****** surgery on a nice Vette and don't blink an eye. After confronting the surgeon with his handy work, he made it sound so "as a matter of fact" it was scary. Some people just don't give a f__k, I see this business nose diving as the list of **** work continues thru the performance vehicle scene in this city..
He's just trying to justify it and act like it's no big deal. He knows it's ****** work. Or, he should anyways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New method of changing C6 fuel pumps