C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New clutch and wtf

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:27 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by garye
did you hear it, I don’t think its break in noise. I didn’t start hearing it until I and driven about 100 miles, it got a little jerky in 1st after driving it back to my town.
Can you pinpoint to noise location with a friend. It would be nice to know if it's coming from the bellhousing, tube, or trans.

Listening to it, to me, sounds like clutch disc chatter. I'd bet it's there, but again it's hard on a vid
Old 08-28-2015, 07:57 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The reason I didn't mention chatter was because it was happening when the clutch is engaged. That makes me think it's happening when the torque tube/transmission input shaft starts spinning.

If it were happening when the clutch is disengaged I'd be more inclined to say chatter
Old 08-28-2015, 08:10 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schpenxel
The reason I didn't mention chatter was because it was happening when the clutch is engaged. That makes me think it's happening when the torque tube/transmission input shaft starts spinning.

If it were happening when the clutch is disengaged I'd be more inclined to say chatter
My Trans Am did the same or very similar noise when my clutch failed. I'd press it nothing, I'd begin to release, and the discs was jumping all around.

I just kinda feel that, even though it's possible, it's more likely the clutch because that is what was just replaced. I am a tech, and if I ever get a comeback, before ever looking elsewhere, I make sure what I did is ok to begin with. It isn't impossible, but if I where a betting man, I'd say it's not the torque tube bearings purely on odds and that sounds like the clutch disc flapping around under engagement.

Brake in is so crucial on new clutches, I wonder if the tech got on it to "test' it out, or if the ride home was a little more spirited than it should have been. I didn't know any better and blew up my trans am's clutch in about 300km shifting at redline lol Stupid kid back then lol.

My LSXR clutch stated no more than 50% throttle, and very light driving for 150miles NA or 300miles on FI applications
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by rpmextra
My Trans Am did the same or very similar noise when my clutch failed. I'd press it nothing, I'd begin to release, and the discs was jumping all around.

I just kinda feel that, even though it's possible, it's more likely the clutch because that is what was just replaced. I am a tech, and if I ever get a comeback, before ever looking elsewhere, I make sure what I did is ok to begin with. It isn't impossible, but if I where a betting man, I'd say it's not the torque tube bearings purely on odds and that sounds like the clutch disc flapping around under engagement.

Brake in is so crucial on new clutches, I wonder if the tech got on it to "test' it out, or if the ride home was a little more spirited than it should have been. I didn't know any better and blew up my trans am's clutch in about 300km shifting at redline lol Stupid kid back then lol.

My LSXR clutch stated no more than 50% throttle, and very light driving for 150miles NA or 300miles on FI applications
Yeah it certainly would make more sense that what was just worked on is what's messed up, vs. the torque tube that they didn't disassemble. The sound is very much like mine when the torque tube bearings were messed up, but without having it in front of me it's really tough to say. I think a mechanics stethoscope would do wonders.

I suppose it's also possible the "forgot to add any transmission fluid" theory is correct..
Old 08-28-2015, 09:12 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I will not be condescending, but can't wonder why you took it to a dealer. If it were a warranty item, I would understand. Ditto for an oil change with them running a great deal. It may be only me, but I can't think of a worse place to go for out of warranty repair work. Now, if I had millions of dollars, literally, maybe I would use a dealer simply for the follow-on warranty. As it is, for me, not a chance.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Yeah it certainly would make more sense that what was just worked on is what's messed up, vs. the torque tube that they didn't disassemble. The sound is very much like mine when the torque tube bearings were messed up, but without having it in front of me it's really tough to say. I think a mechanics stethoscope would do wonders.

I suppose it's also possible the "forgot to add any transmission fluid" theory is correct..
guess we will know soon enough. hope OP gets to the bottom of this asap
Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Indeed. I hope so as well.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:44 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

thanks for the well wishes, it may be interesting which one of you will be the closest to the reason for the noise. My drive home was 100 miles at 70, I stayed between 70 and 75. I’m not sure if that had anything to do with it or not. Its being picked up by a flatbed truck by the dealer on Monday, so I should know something by Wed.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:08 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Highway driving is pretty easy on clutches. High RPM/load shifting is what's hard on them
Old 08-29-2015, 09:52 AM
garye
Melting Slicks

I forgot to thank rpmextra for posting the video, awful nice of you bro . Its also nice to see those that chimed in to brainstorm the issue, vette guys are so cool
Old 08-29-2015, 10:05 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by garye
I forgot to thank rpmextra for posting the video, awful nice of you bro . Its also nice to see those that chimed in to brainstorm the issue, vette guys are so cool
Not a problem
Old 08-30-2015, 10:31 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

It is a pretty good sized task

http://powernationtv.com/episode/EP2...-powerstop-z06
Old 08-31-2015, 02:44 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Here is the latest in this cluster%#@#$#*. Dealer picked up my vette on Sat. called today and said my transmission is bad and it was due to the clutch, and oh by the way, the guy that hauled your car didn’t strap it down right and the strap on the driver side beat the hell out of your driver side door but we are going to get the body shop to fix it.

What course do we have when these shops do this. My tranny is screwed up according to the dealer and they blame the clutch, it was fine when I gave it to them. I’m waiting on a call from Doug at ECS where I got the clutch so he can give me his thoughts, but if no one accepts blame and pays get the tranny fixed then what? I’m sure I’m going to miss the biggest car show in these parts this weekend (Motor Mania) and now I have a bad tranny and a $#%@ up door WTF I am so pissed I don’t even know which way to turn.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:52 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

The clutch caused the transmission to go bad? I would love to hear their explanation on that one. Total BS.

The only way the clutch made the transmission go bad is if they forgot to put oil in it after changing the clutch. Oh wait, that'd be their fault.. not the clutches
Old 08-31-2015, 03:26 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Gary, I feel so bad for I don't know where to begin

I say, get your car and transmission out of there and call your lawyer. Get a written damage report from another shop with proof it's not the trans. Don't call them (dealer) just surprise them and take the car away. I wouldn't want to give them a chance to cover their tracks. A nice written letter from your lawyer with some good cold hard facts may be enough for them to not them it go further. Also, don't even let them fix it, make them pay another shop do what they obviously can't.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:51 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Holy ****. This is with Kupper Chevrolet?
Old 08-31-2015, 03:53 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I tend to agree.

You're kind of stuck in a pickle.. on one hand I would have wanted to check the transmission fluid level before sending the car back to them. But, on the other hand.. they could try to use that against you and say you messed with the transmission fluid, etc. and then try to say it's your fault.

I think I would consider getting it out of there and trying to find another shop. Try looking on the locals section of this forum and see if you can find a recommendation for another shop.

I really don't see how the clutch could have damaged the transmission. If they said it wore out the synchronizers by not disengaging entirely or something like that... ok, probably bs, but maybe. To say it's the cause of the noise you're hearing? I'm just not seeing it.

Get notified of new replies

To New clutch and wtf

Old 08-31-2015, 04:18 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ttx350z
Holy ****. This is with Kupper Chevrolet?
yep, banged up my driver door as well while shipping. I called to get a picture of the damage and they said it was already over at a body shop

I have the Mantic US rep talking with the dealer now, I’m going to wait to see how that conversation ends up, this could get ugly
Old 08-31-2015, 06:22 PM
10thumper
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Is there a way for you to get the car quickly (well, sounds like the body shop has it) and dispute the charges on your credit card? It may be easier to get them to comply if they are trying to get $ from you rather than you trying to get $ from them. If the transmission was working properly when you brought it in I don't believe it's acceptable for this to happen within 100 miles of the repair. Also, if the clutch ruined the transmission how exactly? Did it shatter and tear apart the housing? Did it bend the shaft? I don't buy it...
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude, this sux, prayers and well wishes for you, be calm, don't rush to accept anything less than what you deserve

Quick Reply: New clutch and wtf