C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Base Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:40 PM
ramaccc
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 05 Base Exhaust Question

Looking for some assistance with a couple exhaust questions..

I have an 05 base LS2 - Automatic and looking at Corsa Sport axle back . A guy locally has a set of the sports used for sale however they are off an 09 - P/N 14108. When I look that up on Corsa website it says for 09 but also indicates 2.5" axle back.. I'm curious, what is the difference between the 05 to 09? It says 2.5" which is same size as 05, is there a difference in the rear end that would not allow for 09 axle pipes to fit 05?

Second question more complex IMO, I also have a chance to pick up full 07 - Z06 exhaust (front to back). Can anyone share theie experience with installing the Z06 system on a 05 Base Automatic? I'm aware there are some mods to make as the Z06 is 3" and space will be tight.

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Originally Posted by ramaccc
Looking for some assistance with a couple exhaust questions..

I have an 05 base LS2 - Automatic and looking at Corsa Sport axle back . A guy locally has a set of the sports used for sale however they are off an 09 - P/N 14108. When I look that up on Corsa website it says for 09 but also indicates 2.5" axle back.. I'm curious, what is the difference between the 05 to 09? It says 2.5" which is same size as 05, is there a difference in the rear end that would not allow for 09 axle pipes to fit 05?

Second question more complex IMO, I also have a chance to pick up full 07 - Z06 exhaust (front to back). Can anyone share theie experience with installing the Z06 system on a 05 Base Automatic? I'm aware there are some mods to make as the Z06 is 3" and space will be tight.

Appreciate any feedback.

09 up had a different bend in the end of the muffler pipe that connects to the back of the X pipe. But since the pipes of the mufflers are removable and the muffler themselves will fit fine, you can just have a shop bend up a new pipe to fit your needs instead. 05 to 08 all had the same pipe bends, and it was 09 up that had the different pipe bends.

On the z06 system, it uses OEM shorty type headers in that system that will scavenge better than the base system manifold, so you will pick up around 15hp over the stock system. Plus the mufflers are NPP so no after market mufflers needed either (will just need to install a NPP controller is you want to be able to put the mufflers into quiet mode).

As for a NPP controller system, around $40 to build it your self for simple quiet/loud with remotes, or you can buy a pre-built kit for around $150 instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-28-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:00 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I just connected the vacuum valve things on the NPP mufflers straight to a vacuum source. They open at about the right time on their own for me.

(running z06 npp exhaust, manifolds to tips on 2005 Z51 M6)
Old 08-29-2015, 08:45 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

keep searching and reading as I believe I read that the a4 tranny will hinder the install because if the 3" exhaust.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:39 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

auto's WILL take some rework to adapt the Z06 system, in a manual car it's a direct bolt in, you keep looking around you should be able to get the ENTIRE{ manifolds,cats h-pipe,mufflers} system for around $500 I did!
Old 08-29-2015, 01:07 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
auto's WILL take some rework to adapt the Z06 system, in a manual car it's a direct bolt in, you keep looking around you should be able to get the ENTIRE{ manifolds,cats h-pipe,mufflers} system for around $500 I did!
I ended up paying I believe it was $200 for the manifolds, cats and H pipe from a local member

Then I paid I think it was $450 (shipped) for an NPP axle back system that had already been "modded".

This is a mod where they cut the muffler open and make the "loud" section of the exhaust louder. Google NPP mod and you should find it. Basically they cover the perforations in the pipe shown below to make the straight through setting truly straight through. It makes it sound a bit better/louder supposedly.

I am very happy with this setup. Factory ceramic cats are nice and it gets loud at the right times!

Old 08-31-2015, 01:14 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I ended up paying I believe it was $200 for the manifolds, cats and H pipe from a local member

Then I paid I think it was $450 (shipped) for an NPP axle back system that had already been "modded".

This is a mod where they cut the muffler open and make the "loud" section of the exhaust louder. Google NPP mod and you should find it. Basically they cover the perforations in the pipe shown below to make the straight through setting truly straight through. It makes it sound a bit better/louder supposedly.

I am very happy with this setup. Factory ceramic cats are nice and it gets loud at the right times!

I wanted the performance of the bigger system, I wasn't worried about how it sounded at the traffic light next to the 6 CYL. mustang or in the driveway with my mini-van buddies standing around, I always love the guys that come up behind me at the finish line and say " boy it really didn't sound like you had anything under the hood" priceless!

Get notified of new replies

To 05 Base Exhaust Question

Quick Reply: 05 Base Exhaust Question