C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long term clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:18 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Long term clutch help

Well it's clutch time. I have decided to go with a twin disk setup. Question is which one. I don't have anything crazy, cam only for now but will finish up with all the intake and put nitrous on it. I am leaning toward the McLeod RST Twin Disk. What I'm looking for is people's long term experience with this clutch. I want to know that the clutch will last. I don't drag race. Just occasional track days and some fun on the street. I don't want to do a clutch again any time in the near future. If there are other options in the similar price range, I'm open to them. Do not want an on/off clutch though. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would consider one of Monster's LT1 based twin disc clutches. They basically use the C7 stingray clutch with a custom flywheel to make it work on our cars. I have their LT1-S and it drives/feels like stock and it has a self adjusting pressure plate that can adjust much more than any of the other aftermarket clutches out there (which don't have self adjusting pressure plates). I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, but I do know the owner recently removed the first one they installed after about 70K miles and it was less than 20% through the adjustment that the pressure plate has.. so it had PLENTY of miles left. I'd probably do a LT1-SC for a nitrous setup since they have so much torque. The -SC version uses a cerametallic/sprung friction disc where the LT1-S uses the stock organic friction disc found in the C7 Stingrays.

Mantic makes a good clutch too. The Mantic 9000 is used by plenty around here with next to no issues.

I don't think you can go wrong with either personally.

I don't know much about McLeod's clutches. The only thing I've seen is the hassle people have had having to measure/shim before installing them, then pulling them back apart when they still don't work right. Of course others don't have any problems at all, so perhaps just the few with issues show up on the forum.

I would install a remote bleeder with whichever one you decide to go with.

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-28-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:35 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Thanks for the input. 100% installing a remote bleeder. That's a give-in. I liked McLeod because of their price point, but I suppose I can look into the Monster as well. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:10 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Gotcha, yeah the price is a bit lower on those I think. Pretty sure they use a V6 Camaro pressure plate though
Old 08-29-2015, 01:19 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Im running a Monster LT1-S as well.

After researching the popular clutches, I chose the Monster because I found it to have the fewest complaints/issues. So that's how I made my decision. Any issues I read about Monster clutches were their single disk clutches. I don't think I saw one complaint about the LT1 series. Combine that with ALL the manual C7's and issues with the clutch is very very rare if any.

The Mantic 9000 was really the only other one I considered. The monster came in at a bit lower price point, so it won out. I am very happy with my decision and I would have no doubts replacing it with another LT1 clutch when the time comes.

Last edited by ttx350z; 08-29-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:58 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ttx350z
Im running a Monster LT1-S as well.

After researching the popular clutches, I chose the Monster because I found it to have the fewest complaints/issues. So that's how I made my decision. Any issues I read about Monster clutches were their single disk clutches. I don't think I saw one complaint about the LT1 series. Combine that with ALL the manual C7's and issues with the clutch is very very rare if any.

The Mantic 9000 was really the only other one I considered. The monster came in at a bit lower price point, so it won out. I am very happy with my decision and I would have no doubts replacing it with another LT1 clutch when the time comes.
Agree 100%. I couldn't find anything negative about the monster lt1 clutches so I figured why not.

The Camaro guys love them and their cars are a bit heavier.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:00 AM
shawnaj7731
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stay away from the center force dyad clutch. I had nothing but problems with it, I should of replaced it when i had it out the second time for a vibration in the drive line but i did not want to spend any more cash on a new clutch. 20 grams out of balance from the factory is unacceptable and they wont do anything to get it to zero balance per their customer service department. If they do accept it back for some reason you will have to pay for shipping there and back. SMH.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:17 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by shawnaj7731
stay away from the center force dyad clutch. I had nothing but problems with it, I should of replaced it when i had it out the second time for a vibration in the drive line but i did not want to spend any more cash on a new clutch. 20 grams out of balance from the factory is unacceptable and they wont do anything to get it to zero balance per their customer service department. If they do accept it back for some reason you will have to pay for shipping there and back. SMH.
I have read a few other people had the same issue.

I would recommend making sure you're comparing apples to apples no matter what choice you go with. Figure out whether the new clutch includes a flywheel, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, flywheel bolts, etc.

I do have to give Mantic credit for including a slave cylinder in their price where Monster does not

But.. the Monster is still cheaper and more adjustable. I just can't get over how smooth and factory like mine is.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:46 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Well I think you guys have talked me into the Monster. Monster clutch and flywheel already comes balanced I'm assuming?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Tell Steve I talked you into it

Yes, they come balanced and the self adjusting stuff is already setup

Are you doing the install yourself?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:23 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Not doing the install myself. Steve is with Monster I assume?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:25 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a CenterForce Dyad with a Tick Master and am very happy with the combo.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:27 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ssmoke-u
Not doing the install myself. Steve is with Monster I assume?
Yeah, he is the owner
Old 08-31-2015, 01:32 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

"long term clutch help"? if it's "clutch time" my advice would be... learn to drive a clutch. you do know their considered "lifetime"
Old 08-31-2015, 03:02 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all the votes!!!

OP give us a shout if you have any questions.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:40 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
"long term clutch help"? if it's "clutch time" my advice would be... learn to drive a clutch. you do know their considered "lifetime"
I can drive a clutch just fine. Comments like that are not helpful. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Long term clutch help

Quick Reply: Long term clutch help