C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic pin in power steering pulley ls3 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Plastic pin in power steering pulley ls3 vette?

I had the hood opened and noticed a plastic pin hanging out of the middle of the power steering pulley? I just grabbed it and takes it out. Is this suppose to be there?
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2015, 01:09 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

the ridges on it sure look new and fresh. which means it either has never been pressed in (and forced back out) to anything ever , or the hole it was pressed into was too big to hold it. there should be no way you can remove them dang things with a gentle finger pull. check hood liner and stuff above pully area for missing pins
Old 08-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
the ridges on it sure look new and fresh. which means it either has never been pressed in (and forced back out) to anything ever , or the hole it was pressed into was too big to hold it. there should be no way you can remove them dang things with a gentle finger pull. check hood liner and stuff above pully area for missing pins
Yeah I figured it fell out somewhere but what confused me was it was hanging from the middle of the power steering pulley. I just bought the car two weeks ago but I know that's not part of the power steering pulley assembly
Old 08-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

So this pin is not part of the power steering pulley assembly right lol?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

I had the same platic push in pin hanging out of the center power steering pulley. I kept pushing it back in and it kept pulling out. Eventually, it worked itself out completely and its gone. I wonder if GM installed it to prevent dirt from going into the center pulley bolt?

BTW: I could not find that part with the power steering assembly.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:01 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

well, so i looked up parts list, figured it would NOT be there. my bad , it is....

(item #12 from above , note all places it fits)

(sample of what part number looks like)
Old 08-31-2015, 12:15 PM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

well, so i looked up parts list, figured it would NOT be there. my bad , it is....

Oh wow very interesting. I still have it, do you think I should pop it back in?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I had the same platic push in pin hanging out of the center power steering pulley. I kept pushing it back in and it kept pulling out. Eventually, it worked itself out completely and its gone. I wonder if GM installed it to prevent dirt from going into the center pulley bolt?

BTW: I could not find that part with the power steering assembly.
no GM installed because guys like you who can't figure it out would be running around worrying about the "missing bolt syndrome" in the PS pump pulley and be changing the PS pump for no reason just like the HB "because it wobbles"
Old 08-31-2015, 01:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It won't hurt anything either way. It sure as heck doesn't hold the power steering pulley on. The only purpose it could have is to keep the threads nice and clean inside the power steering pump shaft.

It will be fine with or without it. Millions of cars are made without this little plastic thingie in their power steering pumps every year
Old 08-31-2015, 01:32 PM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
no GM installed because guys like you who can't figure it out would be running around worrying about the "missing bolt syndrome" in the PS pump pulley and be changing the PS pump for no reason just like the HB "because it wobbles"
I don't think your comment contributed anything to this thread other than the fact that you need something more productive to do with your time. Go troll to the next thread and amuse yourself now
Old 08-31-2015, 02:20 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I miss the "Like" button sometimes. :-)

To clarify, that's directed at you Tennis Pr0.

Chevydave, great post. I learned something too.

Last edited by Joe_G; 08-31-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:48 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

the wife said you are a very bad man. a very rude man. you dont like her comment about you, you can write a personal message to me. i will let her read it and she can tell you to go take a flying leap or what ever she will tell you. have a great day , and really , cheer up

Last edited by ChevyDave; 08-31-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: edited to make it friendly (unlike you)
Old 08-31-2015, 06:48 PM
Danno1985
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

the wife said you are a very bad man. a very rude man. you dont like her comment about you, you can write a personal message to me. i will let her read it and she can tell you to go take a flying leap or what ever she will tell you. have a great day , and really , cheer up
If you read through the threads, he's been going along trolling all of them. Don't let him get you or your wife down!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:14 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Danno1985, you reminded me of something and I thought I'd post it.

For those that don't know, Warner Robbins GA has one of the best air force museums on the planet...in my humble opinion of course.

https://www.museumofaviation.org

Super high quality, and it's free! But make a donation you cheapo. Well worth the trip, particularly if you're on i75 heading to or from Florida.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Danno1985
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Danno1985, you reminded me of something and I thought I'd post it.

For those that don't know, Warner Robbins GA has one of the best air force museums on the planet...in my humble opinion of course.

https://www.museumofaviation.org

Super high quality, and it's free! But make a donation you cheapo. Well worth the trip, particularly if you're on i75 heading to or from Florida.
It is a nice one. It's divided up into different hangars. The local Vette club actually holds their monthly meetings there.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Danno1985
It is a nice one. It's divided up into different hangars. The local Vette club actually holds their monthly meetings there.
Sounds like fun. It takes a day or more to really take in all the exhibits, it's huge.

The Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is also very good and well worth it.

Sorry for the hijack OP, just offsetting the negativity in this thread with positive thoughts and suggestions.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:12 AM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to OP, I noticed exact same thing with my '10 within days of purchasing it. Same as you, I would push it back in each time I washed it and wonder "wtf....". I assume it has since fallen out as I haven't encountered it in over a year now...
Old 09-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Wow chill out dude! I was so worried about the plastic retainer pin that it's been missing for years and I have yet to replace it.

GM did replace my wobbly HB under warranty because it caused belt fray due to misalignment. I guess GM felt like spending money on me for "no reason".

Thanks for posting absolutely NOTHING!

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 09-01-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Thanks for posting the schematic. My schematic source listed everything, but the plastic retainer pin. What was your source and year used?

Get notified of new replies

To Plastic pin in power steering pulley ls3 vette?

Quick Reply: Plastic pin in power steering pulley ls3 vette?