C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gm recall 14523

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 05:29 PM
arborday
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gm recall 14523

received recall notice from gm that the catalytic convertors needed to be replaced on my 2008 small block, which has 2,...the dealer says the recall specs say 2 more need to be added? I am only going to have this done because in CA if you don't you can't re-register your vehicle as it is an emissions recall. Does anyone know if the recall states 2 more CCs need to be added? Thanks
Old 09-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes they will add 2 more converters, you will have 4 total and they will alter your ecm tune.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by arborday
received recall notice from gm that the catalytic convertors needed to be replaced on my 2008 small block, which has 2,...the dealer says the recall specs say 2 more need to be added? I am only going to have this done because in CA if you don't you can't re-register your vehicle as it is an emissions recall. Does anyone know if the recall states 2 more CCs need to be added? Thanks
I see this is your first post, welcome.

There is a search function at the top. Try typing in the recall number or emissions recall. There have been a handful of threads on this subject lately.

Short answer is that two samaller cats are added to the replacement mid pipe along with two new down pipe and cats. I believe the mid pipe cats are not wired.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 AM
arborday
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Sativa
Yes they will add 2 more converters, you will have 4 total and they will alter your ecm tune.
OK thanks for the info
Old 10-07-2015, 10:09 AM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What will happen if you have LS7 manifolds, cats, H-pipe installed on an LS3?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

I had this done to my 08 and I now know why some others complained about a hot center consol. The only difference I noticed.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by HP JNKEY
What will happen if you have LS7 manifolds, cats, H-pipe installed on an LS3?
I see you live in California, like myself. I already passed smog this year in my 2008 with the Z06 manifolds and "H" pipe.

Then this recall came.

The letter from GM, at the bottom, states that California resident will be required to have proof of copying with this recall to register the car.

Technically it is not a recall but for us it is mandatory.

You will need to find a dealer willing to work on the car in it's present set up. Some will not want to perform the recall till you put the stock equipment back on. You will need to replace the Z06 manifolds with the stockers as well as the down pipe and the mid pipe. Then they will remove it and replace with new. I was able to find a dealer but two others refused. The other option is to do the swap yourself or pay to have it done then get the recall done.

Also an issue may arise on how the 3" mid pipe was connected to the 2 1/2" axle over pipes. My reducer was welded so I need to get replacement axle over pipes too. I have Corsa Sports so it was not easy to find replacement axle over SS pipes. Corsa finally did sell me them but is not usual practice for them to part out a kit. I was lucky to get a kind representative to conduct the sale. Others may or may not be as fortunate. Be humble and sincere and maybe you will get lucky.

You will get two new down pipe converters as well as a completely new " H" pipe with two new converters. Total of 4 cats now.

I have had this done and have a appointment with my tuner next week to see if I need a tune. The dealer does reflash the ECM nut nobody seems to know to what extent.

I can tell you that I did not have the CAGS delete come back on. If the reflash deals with fuel mapping etc maybe the tune for the Z06 manifolds can stay on the car. ( if you had a tune performed when making the change) I just do not know nor does my tuner yet, not until he gets into the ECM and sees just what exists.

I will post up Monday 10/12/15 afternoon my findings.

My dealer says I should be good to go but not having my Cags coming back on has me thinking just how much was changed. He really isn't sure either cause GM does not divulge what consists in the reflash.

Not knowing enough regarding tuning and the relationship between the tune and the cats performance part of the tune is why I am checking.

I have asked around and no one can give me a concrete answer other than to hook up and see what is what.

Stay tuned cause I will share my knowledge.

Last edited by Boomer111; 10-10-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:49 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

What a bummer.

Thanks

Wonder if the Z06 guys are getting a similar recall?
Old 10-08-2015, 01:13 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Z06's aren't involved in the recall. Here is the bulletin:

#14523A: Product Emission - Emission Compliance - (Sep 2, 2015)
Subject: 14523A – Emission Compliance

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Corvette
Equipped with 6.2L Engine (LS3) and California Emission System (NU5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to part availability, this recall is being released in phases. The first phase covered the 2009 model year vehicles; this final phase adds the 2008 model year vehicles. Please discard all copies of bulletin 14523.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to part availability, this recall will be released in phases. The first phase will cover the 2009 model year vehicles. Dealers will be notified when sufficient parts are available to begin repairs on 2008 model year vehicles.

Condition
General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emissions Recall involving certain 2008-2009 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles, equipped with a 6.2L engine (LS3) and California Emission System (NU5). The vehicles may be emitting air pollutants in excess of the California vehicle emission standards.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module and replace the catalytic converters.

Vehicles Involved
All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A). Please refer to your “involved vehicles listing” before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Part Number
Description
Quantity/Vehicle

Pipe, Catalytic Converter (Left)

Pipe, Catalytic Converter (Right)

Pipe (Underbody Converters, 2008 Only)

Pipe (Underbody Converters, 2009 Only)

Gasket, Exhaust Manifold Pipe

Seal, Exhaust Manifold Pipe

Service Procedure
 1. Reprogram the engine control module. Refer to K20 Engine Control Module: Programming and Setup in SI.
Note: Install the new intermediate pipe with the new underfloor converters.

 2. Remove the left and right catalytic converter. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement - Left Side and Catalytic Converter Replacement - Right Side in SI.
 3. Install a new left and right catalytic converter. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement - Left Side and Catalytic Converter Replacement - Right Side in SI.
 4. CALIFORNIA, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, OREGON, VERMONT, & WASHINGTON VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a “Proof of Correction” certificate upon recall completion.
Recall Identification Label – California/Connecticut/Delaware/Maryland/Massachusetts/Maine/Oregon/Vermont/Washington Vehicles Only
Place a Recall Identification Label on each vehicle corrected in accordance with the instructions outlined in this Product Recall Bulletin. Each label provides a space to include the recall number and the five-digit dealer code of the dealer performing the recall service. This information may be inserted with a ballpoint pen.

Put the Recall Identification Label on a clean and dry surface of the radiator core support in an area that will be visible to people servicing the vehicle.

When installing the Recall Identification Label, be sure to pull the tab to allow adhesion of the clear protective covering. Additional Recall Identification Labels for US dealers can be obtained from Dealer Support Materials by ordering on the web from DWD Store, www.gmglobalconnect.com, and then click on the DWD Store link. Request Item Number S-1015 when ordering.

Warranty Transaction Information
Submit a transaction using the table below. All transactions should be submitted as a ZFAT transaction type, unless noted otherwise.

Labor Code
Description
Labor Time

Replace Catalytic Converters and Reprogram ECM

Customer Notification
General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

In order to ensure full protection under the emission warranty, and the right to participate in future recalls, the customer notification letter recommends tha t customers have their vehicles serviced as soon as possible. It also advises that failure to do so could legally be determined to be lack of proper maintenance. The vehicle may fail a state or local emission inspection test if the recall work is not completed.

Dealer Recall Responsibility
All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this recall bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

When a California emissions recall is completed by a GM dealer, the dealer must provide the vehicle owner a “Proof of Correction Certificate” which the owner may need to present to the California Department Of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when renewing their vehicle registration. Without this correction certificate, the owner may be unable to renew their vehicle registration.

Additional Certificates can be obtained, at no charge, from Dealer Support Materials by ordering on the web from the DWD Store, www.gmdealerworld.com, and then click on the DWD Store link; request GM Item Number 1825 when ordering.

Dear General Motors Customer:

This notice is sent to inform you that General Motors is conducting a voluntary emission recall that includes your vehicle.

Reason For This Recall: General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emissions Recall involving certain 2008-2009 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles, equipped with a 6.2L engine and California Emission System. The vehicles may be emitting air pollutants in excess of the California vehicle emission standards.

What Will Be Done: Your GM dealer will reprogram the engine control module and replace the catalytic converters. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

What You Should Do: Please contact your GM dealer as soon as possible to arrange a service date and to assure parts availability. Instructions for making this correction have been sent to your dealer. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know how much time will be needed to schedule, process, and repair your vehicle.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020 or 1-800-833-2438 (TTY).

Emission Law Information: In order to ensure your full protection under the emission warranty made applicable to your vehicle by state and federal law, and your right to participate in future recalls, it is recommended that you have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could legally be determined to be lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle. Also, your vehicle may fail a state or local emission inspection if this recall is not accomplished.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires vehicle emission recalls be completed prior to California registration renewal. Uncorrected emission recalls will result in the inability to renew your California vehicle registration.

At the time of emission recall completion, your California dealer will issue a "Proof of Correction Certificate". Keep this certificate and, if required, present it to the Department of Motor Vehicles when renewing your California registration as proof of recall completion.

We are sorry to cause you this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I see you live in Californai, like myself. I already passed smog this year in my 2008 with the Z06 manifolds and "H" pipe.

Then this recall came.

The letter from GM, at the bottom, states that California resident will be required to have proof of copying with this recall to register the car.

Technically it is not a recall but for us it is manitory.

You will need to find a dealer willing to work on the car in it's present set up. Some will not want to perform the recall till you put the stock equipment back on. You will need to replace the Z06 manifolds with the stockers as well as the down pipe and the mid pipe. Then they will remove it and replace with new. I was able to find a dealer but two others refused. The other option is to do the swap yourself or pay to have it done then get the recall done.

Also an issue may arise on how the 3" mid pipe was connected to the 2 1/2" axle over pipes. My reducer was welded so I need to get replacement axle over pipes too. I have Corsa Sports so it was not easy to find replacement axle over SS pipes. Corsa finally did sell me them but is not usuall practice for them to part out a kit. I was lucky to get a kind representative to conduct the sale. Others may or may not be as fortunate. Be humble and sincere and maybe you will get lucky.

You will get two new down pipe converters as well as a completely new " H" pipe with two new converters. Total of 4 cats now.

I have had this done and have a appointment with my tuner next week to see if I need a tune. The dealer does reflash the ECM nut nobody seems to know to what extent.

I can tell you that I did not have the CAGS delete come back on. If the reflash deals with fuel mapping etc maybe the tune for the Z06 manifolds can stay on the car. ( if you had a tune performed when making the change) I just do not know nor does my tuner yet, not until he gets into the ECM and sees just what exists.

I will post up Monday 10/10/15 afternoon my findings.

My dealer says I should be good to go but not having my Cags coming back on has me thinking just how much was changed. He really isn't sure either cause GM does not devulge what consists in the reflash.

Not knowing enough regarding tuning and the relationship between the tune and the cats performance part of the tune is why I am checking.

I have asked around and no one can give me a concrete answer other than to hook up and see what is what.

Stay tunes cause I will share my knowledge.
They probably just load a standard tune for a car with 4 cats into the ECM. They don't bother trying to tune specific areas. Just dump the whole thing in.

Bill
Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Crap
Old 10-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by HP JNKEY
Crap
Ya after I removed the long tubes and passed smog with the Z06 stuff I thought it was all over then the recall and more hoops to jump through.

For one I will be glad when this is over. Just not worth it in California to do performance mods that are not CARB legal.

I really just want to get back stock, but want to have a good tune at the same time.

Now with what has gone on I feel compelled to have the tune checked out due to the restrictive system in place now.

More will be known Monday afternoon.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
They probably just load a standard tune for a car with 4 cats into the ECM. They don't bother trying to tune specific areas. Just dump the whole thing in.

Bill
Since Boomer111 did not have his CAGS return after the reflash, I wonder if GM is only flashing the changed parameters in the tune and not the whole tune? We won't know until someone posts the new tune file to compare?

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 10-10-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Since Boomer111 did not have his CAGS return after the reflash, I wonder if GM is only flashing the changed parameters in the tune and not the whole tune? We won't know until someone posts the new tune file to compare?

This is what is suspected by the dealer.

I will know more tomorrow, and hopefully not looking at a locked ECM like another forum member posted.

Either way with the more restrictive exhaust than the Z06 stuff I need the tune to be updated to be assured all is ok.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Boomer111
This is what is suspected by the dealer.

I will know more tomorrow, and hopefully not looking at a locked ECM like another forum member posted.

Either way with the more restrictive exhaust than the Z06 stuff I need the tune to be updated to be assured all is ok.
Which dealership are you going to?
Old 10-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Which dealership are you going to?
PM sent.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Going to Rick for the tune.

Get notified of new replies

To gm recall 14523

Old 10-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Update information in a new thread titled "update emission recall'

Thanks
Old 10-15-2015, 08:23 PM
superfast
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3X2- So only 3 new cats? 1 left, 1 right & 1 underbody cat under different p/n depends if your is an 08 or 09. I went to 2 local Chevy dealers in Southern Cal this afternoon & they both showed me the replacement parts for this emission recall but it only consist of 2 replacement left & right cats plus new gaskets & new seals. Mine is an 08 Z51. What's going on?
Old 10-15-2015, 11:32 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by superfast
3X2- So only 3 new cats? 1 left, 1 right & 1 underbody cat under different p/n depends if your is an 08 or 09. I went to 2 local Chevy dealers in Southern Cal this afternoon & they both showed me the replacement parts for this emission recall but it only consist of 2 replacement left & right cats plus new gaskets & new seals. Mine is an 08 Z51. What's going on?
Along with the left and right side cats, there is a mid pipe replacement which consist of an X pipe and two smaller cats, 4 cats total. Also, reprogram the ECM. Read post #9 for parts list. Dealerships are clueless.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 10-15-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Quick Reply: gm recall 14523