C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil / Rubber Burning Smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 04:16 PM
C6 Kyle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil / Rubber Burning Smell

Had this c6 coupe about a month now and ever since I got it I have gotten a soft scent of burning oil / maybe rubber?? I can smell it after driving for a bit with the windows down, or sometimes through the AC after harder acceleration. I figured at first it may have been oil burning off after the dealership changed it when I purchased it, but its still here. Dont really know where its coming from, or if this is normal (dont think so).

Any body have any tips or suggestions? I'm new to corvettes and don't know a ton about them.

Love the car besides a few minor things.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:31 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would pick it up and look under the car. It could be too different many things to list.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:47 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Tips or suggestions ah.....ah.... this is a hard one wait.... wait...... look for oil leaking or a rubber part against something hot? did I win?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:34 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

start with examining the cover on the passenger side--- do you see any oil residue at or around the filler cap? look also down for any signs of an oil trail .. last over change the tech could have slopped oil and you are smelling the burn off.

next remove the plastic cover and look around your coils for any oil... same as above (sloppy oil change )

check the oil line that runs into the radiator ... any noticeable leaks?

this is just a start ...
Old 10-07-2015, 01:06 PM
C6 Kyle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6topless
start with examining the cover on the passenger side--- do you see any oil residue at or around the filler cap? look also down for any signs of an oil trail .. last over change the tech could have slopped oil and you are smelling the burn off.

next remove the plastic cover and look around your coils for any oil... same as above (sloppy oil change )

check the oil line that runs into the radiator ... any noticeable leaks?

this is just a start ...
I checked under both covers and didn't see any signs of oil residue or areas where something was burning.

Would dealer charge me to take a look?
Old 10-07-2015, 04:52 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

IMHO this is pretty much normal operating procedure for a C6.
Mine does this off and on. Might be a piece of plastic on the headers or the cats. I have no oil leaks except where it runs off the filter, or I splash some on the headers as the filter slips out of my hand.

Every Corvette I have owned has always had a distinct smell when hot.....very useful to tell when someone was pushing my car a little to hard.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:04 AM
dlind4
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

after an oil change I used to get that smell. I was putting 6 quarts in as it says in the manual. I decided to put 5.5 quarts in this last time and got no smell. It puts the level in the middle of the crosshairs. Its still in the safe operating zone and i get no smell. I think 6 quarts is too much. JMO

Get notified of new replies

To Oil / Rubber Burning Smell

Quick Reply: Oil / Rubber Burning Smell