C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinking Check Engine Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:48 AM
kricket
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blinking Check Engine Light Help

Just finished a recent build new short block, cam, headers, wcch heads, airaid intake and the car ran great. Now I am getting a blinking check engine light. From what I read that sounds like a misfire but I have no symptoms of a misfire. Engine still runs smooth. I've also installed new wires with shields. It also only comes on usually around 3000 or more rpms and is very intermittent and doesn't stay on long. I've checked all the plugs, plugs wires all popped on, 02 sensors wires are not on the exhaust pipes. Any help would be appreciated. Also the tuner said the misfire codes are shut down because of the cam. Is that normal? Otherwise I think this might be easier to isolate.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by kricket
Just finished a recent build new short block, cam, headers, wcch heads, airaid intake and the car ran great. Now I am getting a blinking check engine light. From what I read that sounds like a misfire but I have no symptoms of a misfire. Engine still runs smooth. I've also installed new wires with shields. It also only comes on usually around 3000 or more rpms and is very intermittent and doesn't stay on long. I've checked all the plugs, plugs wires all popped on, 02 sensors wires are not on the exhaust pipes. Any help would be appreciated. Also the tuner said the misfire codes are shut down because of the cam. Is that normal? Otherwise I think this might be easier to isolate.
You don't say whether you've read the codes, but that has to be the first step versus guessing at what may be the problem. Could be something besides the misfire codes.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:37 PM
kricket
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave S
You don't say whether you've read the codes, but that has to be the first step versus guessing at what may be the problem. Could be something besides the misfire codes.
The codes are shut down so they cannot be read, nothing appears. That's why I asked if that's normal. We tried with multiple scanners including a Snap On Solus.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:55 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Flashing CEL is normally an indication of MAJOR problems with the OBD system. If it is only an intermittent condition, it could be something with the new cam, intake, etc. Try to connect to the computer with the engine off to see if you can even establish communication, if so, use the real time function of the Souls to check that all of the sensors are reading correctly.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

have you watched to see if your voltage is dropping when this occurs? I would load test your battery and then check your alternator ...
Old 10-10-2015, 09:25 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

blinking check engine light is caused by a missfire. you most likely have a cracked spark plug or arching ignition wires. a broken valve spring can also, but you are likely to hear that. make sure the #1 wire is away from the alternator, that usually gives you a check charging system message.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:46 AM
c6moneypit
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kricket
I'm experiencing the same blinking CEL. New ls3 build with forged internals new cam and lower s/c compression. Mine happens every so often at wot under boost. No symptoms of misfire, the car runs strong. My tuner is working on it. Also no codes are saved once the blinking stops.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:28 PM
jusmillz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c6moneypit
I'm experiencing the same blinking CEL. New ls3 build with forged internals new cam and lower s/c compression. Mine happens every so often at wot under boost. No symptoms of misfire, the car runs strong. My tuner is working on it. Also no codes are saved once the blinking stops.
whatever happened?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:28 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jusmillz
whatever happened?

I'm sure that they never performed crank relearn procedure after the short block replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To Blinking Check Engine Light Help

Quick Reply: Blinking Check Engine Light Help