C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Ranger Method Results - Clutch Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Rik O'Shay
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My Ranger Method Results - Clutch Fluid Change

2010 GS with only 5,500 miles-

I read up on & watched The Ranger Method video HERE

The master cylinder was replaced 2 days ago by my local Chevrolet dealer to address the TSB. After the MC was replaced the fluid was still very dark as the reservoir fluid mixed with the fluid from the slave cylinder, so I decided to change the fluid.

I picked up a syringe from Wal Mart, located near the gas cans in the automotive section and 2 bottles of DOT 4 fluid from O'Reiley Auto-

Here is how the fluid in the reservoir looked at the start-

What I removed with the syringe-

I then filled the reservoir with fresh fluid, replaced the cap and pumped the clutch pedal 30 times. Then I used the syringe to remove the fluid in the reservoir. I repeated this 10 times, each time the fluid cleared a bit.

This after the 4th time-

After 10 times -

And the final result, filled with fresh fluid-

During the test drive the clutch felt firmer, better able to feather it.

Last edited by Rik O'Shay; 10-13-2015 at 02:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 06:44 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

That was how my clutch fluid was at 1000 miles on my GS. from now on once a month ( depending on how much you drive, or when the fluid slightly turns darker) just replace the fluid in the reservoir, and let clutching during the driving do all the work (mixing) rather than sitting there and pumping the clutch which is extra wear and tear. That will keep the fluid constantly clean. At 12000 miles my fluid is very clean and i never had any clutch or master cylinder problems.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

With 4,000 yearly miles I use the Ranger method maybe 3-4 times a year. Takes just one cycle and the fluid always looks clean.

Cheap insurance.

Just remember to cover the fender cause a mishap with the fluid will take paint off. I use a rag when withdrawing the syringe to stop the fluid from leaking out.

Last edited by Boomer111; 10-11-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Whoop
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

Rick,

My MC was replace about a week ago and my fluid is factory fresh clear. I would also check your part number as my new MC (new part number verified) is black and not the whitish color of the original part. Also my new cap says DOT 4.

Something just doesn't sound right.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Rik O'Shay
Instructor

I kind of feel that way too, like the dealer didn't really change the part.

I did ask to see the old part and they did show me one. When I told them about the color of the fluid they told that was how it came, and I told them that was BS.

I will be going back to the dealer tomorrow to raise the issue with the service manager. On to Chevrolet after that....

Last edited by Rik O'Shay; 10-11-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:11 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

for those that have done it, any difference in feel, engagement point, etc?

I ordered the syringe on amazon and will be doing the ranger method in the next week or so.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:00 PM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

thabks for the info. Very easy procedure. This is what mine looked like with less than 2,000 miles on my ZR1 conversion.

After 4 flushed.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:01 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I am curious just what does the owners manual say about replacing the fluid? How many miles or time before you need a change.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Dunno but you want to keep contaminants from building up because this is what wears out the seal and causing failure.

Best is to follow the Ranger method and do it depending on mileage often.

My fluid is always clean and it is changes at least every 1500 miles. By changed I mean just the reservoir fluid.

This might be overkill but it is every 3-4 months. So it only takes maybe 5 minutes.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
I am curious just what does the owners manual say about replacing the fluid? How many miles or time before you need a change.
Clutch Fluid change every two years per the service manual.

As for the reason for the dark fluid to start with, the lube that is used on the master cylinder plunger parts to assembly it to begin with when it being produced, and the pigment that is first leach out of the seals material it self.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Clutch Fluid change every two years per the service manual.

As for the reason for the dark fluid to start with, the lube that is used on the master cylinder plunger parts to assembly it to begin with when it being produced, and the pigment that is first leach out of the seals material it self.
A fluid change every two years? I thought there was some major heartache replacing the fluid by pumping it out at the slave cylinder end.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoop
Rick,

My MC was replace about a week ago and my fluid is factory fresh clear. I would also check your part number as my new MC (new part number verified) is black and not the whitish color of the original part. Also my new cap says DOT 4.

Something just doesn't sound right.
My replacement (and every other one that I have seen) is a black reservoir with a "DOT4" cap.

I do agree with the OP, you will get some blending of old and new fluid. I plan on flushing mine in a month or so, when the humidity is low on one of my FL weekends. I'll be replacing my brake fluid at the same time.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Rik O'Shay
Instructor

This has turned into a cluster with communications with the dealer, Chevrolet and the BBB.

Brought in my 2010 Corvette to address 2 issues, Customer Satisfaction Program number 14203 for a low beam electrical problem and the Clutch Activation System Service bulletin number 14717. Both of these issues were created by Chevrolet to correct potential problems. After delivering the car I was assured by ****** that the electrical issue would be fixed and that the clutch system would be examined. I called the dealer about 3 hours after dropping off the car to check on it's status, ******** told me on the phone that the electrical issue was almost complete and that the part for the hydraulic clutch had to ordered as it was not in stock. I was then called 30 min later by ******** and he told me that they had the part now. I came to pick the car up at 530 pm as instructed and was told that I could not have the service order because the Technician was not through with it, and that it would be mailed to me. I asked repeatedly for the completed work order and was denied.

I opened the hood of my car and found that the hydraulic clutch fluid reservoir was unchanged. The old reservoir fluid cap was still in place and the reservoir was full of dirty, deep brown/black fluid when it was supposed to contain clear DOT 4 fluid. The dirty original reservoir cap was still in place with what appeared to be the original Clutch Hydralic Reservoir. I asked the Service Rep why they did not change the part and he told me they did and that the filthy fluid was normal. New fluid is clear with a slight yellow tint. I asked to see my old part. ****** marched off and returned about 5 minutes later with a technician and a box. A hydraulic clutch master cylinder assembly was removed from the box and they told me that it was the one from my car. I pointed out the filthy fluid in my car and the tech told me that they ship from the factory with the fluid. I asked if the system was bled and he told me that he just added fluid. I told the two of them that the Service Bulletin #14717 states that the master cylinder assembly is to be replaced and that the new unit will have a new reservoir fluid cap that states "DOT 4" on it. This is to ensure that the correct fluid is used according to the service bulletin. I have asked The Service Manager (via email) and Chevrolet Customer Service (2 telephone calls) for my completed service order and they have not provided it to me. I have spoken with GM Customer Service representatives on multiple occasions and they have not offered any solutions other than calling the dealer. Not one person from the dealer has attempted to call me directly even though I have provided my telephone number. I did receive an automated call from Service Department computer thanking me for the business.....

Complaint filed with the BBB, Chevrolet and via email to the service manager.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:16 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik O'Shay
This has turned into a cluster with communications with the dealer, Chevrolet and the BBB.

Brought in my 2010 Corvette to address 2 issues, Customer Satisfaction Program number 14203 for a low beam electrical problem and the Clutch Activation System Service bulletin number 14717. Both of these issues were created by Chevrolet to correct potential problems. After delivering the car I was assured by ****** that the electrical issue would be fixed and that the clutch system would be examined. I called the dealer about 3 hours after dropping off the car to check on it's status, ******** told me on the phone that the electrical issue was almost complete and that the part for the hydraulic clutch had to ordered as it was not in stock. I was then called 30 min later by ******** and he told me that they had the part now. I came to pick the car up at 530 pm as instructed and was told that I could not have the service order because the Technician was not through with it, and that it would be mailed to me. I asked repeatedly for the completed work order and was denied.

I opened the hood of my car and found that the hydraulic clutch fluid reservoir was unchanged. The old reservoir fluid cap was still in place and the reservoir was full of dirty, deep brown/black fluid when it was supposed to contain clear DOT 4 fluid. The dirty original reservoir cap was still in place with what appeared to be the original Clutch Hydralic Reservoir. I asked the Service Rep why they did not change the part and he told me they did and that the filthy fluid was normal. New fluid is clear with a slight yellow tint. I asked to see my old part. ****** marched off and returned about 5 minutes later with a technician and a box. A hydraulic clutch master cylinder assembly was removed from the box and they told me that it was the one from my car. I pointed out the filthy fluid in my car and the tech told me that they ship from the factory with the fluid. I asked if the system was bled and he told me that he just added fluid. I told the two of them that the Service Bulletin #14717 states that the master cylinder assembly is to be replaced and that the new unit will have a new reservoir fluid cap that states "DOT 4" on it. This is to ensure that the correct fluid is used according to the service bulletin. I have asked The Service Manager (via email) and Chevrolet Customer Service (2 telephone calls) for my completed service order and they have not provided it to me. I have spoken with GM Customer Service representatives on multiple occasions and they have not offered any solutions other than calling the dealer. Not one person from the dealer has attempted to call me directly even though I have provided my telephone number. I did receive an automated call from Service Department computer thanking me for the business.....

Complaint filed with the BBB, Chevrolet and via email to the service manager.
have you determined what you would value as "success criteria" for this? Is your clutch working correctly?

If the fluid is dirty but it is working correctly, you have already proven capable of replacing the fluid to your satisfaction. Maybe you should just chalk this up to a lackluster service department and vow to take your business to another place.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Yep, you got screwed, since they just installed a new, Old type design Master cylinder back in the car at most.

Again, the new master cylinder plunger assembly was redesigned so the end plunger does not pop off like the old design, and the way to tell if if the dealer installed the new design master cylinder, is that it will come with a new reservoir tank with a Dot 4 marked cap on it.

So pop the hood and don't see a new reservoir and cap that is marked dot 4, then they did not replace the master cylinder with a new designed unit. The fact that your unit still has the old reservoir and not dot 4 cap, at best they just flushed the fluid and changed it out to dot 4 instead (did not solve the plunger problem of the old design master cylinder at all instead).

Last edited by Dano523; 10-12-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Rik O'Shay
Instructor

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
have you determined what you would value as "success criteria" for this? Is your clutch working correctly?

If the fluid is dirty but it is working correctly, you have already proven capable of replacing the fluid to your satisfaction. Maybe you should just chalk this up to a lackluster service department and vow to take your business to another place.
Yeah, the clutch seems to be working alright but it's still very sensitive.

What I want is paperwork from the dealer or Chevrolet directly that states the 2 repairs were done as I was told.

No paperwork has been given to me from anyone.

In the end I can always install an aftermarket assy and have any warranty work done elsewhere.

Last edited by Rik O'Shay; 10-13-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Rik O'Shay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yep, you got screwed, since they just installed a new, Old type design Master cylinder back in the car at most.

Again, the new master cylinder plunger assembly was redesigned so the end plunger does not pop off like the old design, and the way to tell if if the dealer installed the new design master cylinder, is that it will come with a new reservoir tank with a Dot 4 marked cap on it.

So pop the hood and don't see a new reservoir and cap that is marked dot 4, then they did not replace the master cylinder with a new designed unit. The fact that your unit still has the old reservoir and not dot 4 cap, at best they just flushed the fluid and changed it out to dot 4 instead (did not solve the plunger problem of the old design master cylinder at all instead).
That has been explained to the dealer and Chevrolet Customer service, and Chevy is laying it all off on the dealer because they "trust" them and not me or the evidence (like the installed part) that I have.

What is most troubling is that IF the dealer calls and offers to install the new part (in order to resolve the active BBB complaint) free of charge I will be very uneasy releasing my 5,500 mile new to me GS to them. i think the only way that I would allow them to change the part is if I was allowed to sit in the bay and watch the work being done. Then I would wash my hands of them for good.

Get notified of new replies

To My Ranger Method Results - Clutch Fluid Change

Old 10-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Dano523
Race Director

That has been explained to the dealer and Chevrolet Customer service, and Chevy is laying it all off on the dealer because they "trust" them and not me or the evidence (like the installed part) that I have.

What is most troubling is that IF the dealer calls and offers to install the new part (in order to resolve the active BBB complaint) free of charge I will be very uneasy releasing my 5,500 mile new to me GS to them. i think the only way that I would allow them to change the part is if I was allowed to sit in the bay and watch the work being done. Then I would wash my hands of them for good.

Just go to a new dealer (give them enough time to receive in the new design master cylinder if they don't have one in stock/still waiting for GM to swap them out any old design master cylinders that they still do have in stock), point out that the TSB needs to be done still since a New design master cylinder was not installed in the car from the other dealer, and let them go at it instead. Again, all you need to do is pop the hood and let them see the cap that does not have the Dot 4 label on it to begin with, and it will prove that the new plunger design master cylinder was not installed on the car.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:57 PM
Peter_Reinhard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually can't believe they did what they did. You would think that GM would be concerned if the dealer billed them for warranty work that wasn't done. But you have done your part by notifying them.

I would just never, ever, go there again. You have lost trust. Go to another dealer. After what they have done, you certainly don't want them working on anything you own.

I like my dealer who I used when my car was under GM pre-owned warranty. When I asked that they check the harmonic balancer, they said, "Yes, it is bad. We need to order the part and can you bring it back in a week?" After all the stories I've heard, these guys were pretty good. It wasn't even squeaking yet.

That's why it is good to join a local Corvette club if you haven't already. The long-time members really know the cars.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:46 PM
Rik O'Shay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peter_Reinhard
I actually can't believe they did what they did. You would think that GM would be concerned if the dealer billed them for warranty work that wasn't done. But you have done your part by notifying them.

I would just never, ever, go there again. You have lost trust. Go to another dealer. After what they have done, you certainly don't want them working on anything you own.

I like my dealer who I used when my car was under GM pre-owned warranty. When I asked that they check the harmonic balancer, they said, "Yes, it is bad. We need to order the part and can you bring it back in a week?" After all the stories I've heard, these guys were pretty good. It wasn't even squeaking yet.

That's why it is good to join a local Corvette club if you haven't already. The long-time members really know the cars.
I just talked to the GM and the service manager (1st telephone call) and explained my position. I was told that they installed the wrong part and since they got the correct part in they are willing to change the part.

I told them that the only way that I would allow them to work on my car is if I was allowed to supervise/monitor the replacement right in the maintenance bay. If they agreed to do that then I would call the BBB issue resolved.

They agreed.

Last edited by Rik O'Shay; 10-13-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: My Ranger Method Results - Clutch Fluid Change