C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:17 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default TPMS Question

When running drag radials at pressure below the psi cutoff that "fools" the system into thinking the tires are flat and limiting speed to 55MPH what is the better of the following actions. The car will be trailered to the track so mileage between stop/start cycles will be short.

1. No TPMS sensors installed.
2. TPMS sensors installed but not synced.
3. TPMS installed and synced but but since the mileage will be so little between stop/start cycles the TPMS will not kick in.

Thanks in advance.

BIGMAC
Old 11-04-2015, 10:20 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

TPMS would be a waste of time and money in your situation. If the car is going to be trailered it will have very little run time above the minimum psi anyway.

You only really NEED TPMS when you have runflats in my opinion. The only ill-effect of not having them will be a lack of traction control once the car realizes that they aren't there.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

TPMS is mandatory with runflats, because otherwise you might have a low or flat tire and not know it.
TPMS is very useful even with non-runflats, so you can perhaps detect a slow leak before tire damage or heading out into the boonies where help and cellphone service may not be available.

Our 2009 and a friend's 2007 would both allow us to drive faster than 55 on a flat, but kept warning us.

With no sensors or sensors not synched, once the car realizes it's not getting any TPMS info (different years of C6 seem to take different amounts of time to figure it out) then it acts like you have a flat and you can't turn off TC or AH, and the AH becomes very intrusive if you try any hard cornering.

If you install & sync the sensors, it will know immediately when you start the engine, and it will act accordingly.
IIRC, "low" pressure only gave a warning, "flat tire" caused the TC/AH to continually try to save us.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 11-05-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:44 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
TPMS is mandatory with runflats, because otherwise you might have a low or flat tire and not know it.
TPMS is very useful even with non-runflats, so you can perhaps detect a slow leak before tire damage or heading out into the boonies where help and cellphone service may not be available.

Our 2009 and a friend's 2007 would both allow us to drive faster than 55 on a flat, but kept warning us.

With no sensors or sensors not synched, once the car realizes it's not getting any TPMS info (different years of C6 seem to take different amounts of time to figure it out) then it acts like you have a flat and you can't turn off TC or AH, and the AH becomes very intrusive if you try any hard cornering.

If you install & sync the sensors, it will know immediately when you start the engine, and it will act accordingly.
IIRC, "low" pressure only gave a warning, "flat tire" caused the TC/AH to continually try to save us.
Not quite.

While it is certainly true that the car takes a fair bit of time before it even realizes there are no TPMS sensors present, when it finally does all that happens is you get a warning message on the dash and it prevents you from turning off AH. It still however lets you turn off TC and does not act like you have a flat tire at any point. That part only ever happens when you do have TPMS sensors and the tire pressure is really low or at zero.

To the OP - your best option is just to not run any sensors whatsoever. I've been racing this way since 2007 and never had a problem.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

I installed two sensors in a pressure vessel (I used gas pipe). I pump up the pressure vessel and set the assembly in the back of the car and program those sensors to satisfy the cars need to see sensors.

Good Luck,

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 11-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Not quite.

While it is certainly true that the car takes a fair bit of time before it even realizes there are no TPMS sensors present, when it finally does all that happens is you get a warning message on the dash and it prevents you from turning off AH. It still however lets you turn off TC and does not act like you have a flat tire at any point. That part only ever happens when you do have TPMS sensors and the tire pressure is really low or at zero.

To the OP - your best option is just to not run any sensors whatsoever. I've been racing this way since 2007 and never had a problem.
Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 11-05-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:23 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
When running drag radials at pressure below the psi cutoff that "fools" the system into thinking the tires are flat and limiting speed to 55MPH what is the better of the following actions. The car will be trailered to the track so mileage between stop/start cycles will be short.

1. No TPMS sensors installed.
2. TPMS sensors installed but not synced.
3. TPMS installed and synced but but since the mileage will be so little between stop/start cycles the TPMS will not kick in.

Thanks in advance.

BIGMAC
I forgot to add my car is a 2012 A6 Grand Sport. It seems how the AH/TC system reacts to the TPMS sensors has changed over the model years. I appreciate the replies but they illustrate the difficulty in obtaining a definitive answer. I guess the only way to find out for my car is trial and error.

BIGMAC

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Question

Quick Reply: TPMS Question