C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What direction to go with short block, build? ERL users please chim in.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:12 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default What direction to go with short block, build? ERL users please chim in.

I will try to keep this short and simple. I love how my 06 Z06 runs and drives. I will be using it for the street with some road course and some drag but mostly just street.

I was not sure how I would like the z06 because I was a Mustang guy all my years. when I got the Z I just added a ECS and ran it on a safe tune before committing to what direction I want to go. after a few 1,000 miles and driving mine vrs some friends that are all motor, I have decided that I want to build a short block that is ideal for boost.

Goals are to be at 800-850 tops on pump with meth and boost. Car will have coatless exhaust and mild cam for boost. Stock intake and T/B.

My questions are:

1) Do I use my short block and just replace the pistons to a forged 10.0/10.5:1? Can I use my rods and crank or will there be an issue?
What are the issues with just replacing the pistons and rod bolts?

2) Do I just sell my stock low mile short block and just order an ERL short block. If so do I use an LS7 core or any Gen4? What block is best to use as a core and what blocks cores do I need to stay away from? ERL says they are all the same at this point and a 5.3 would be fine. Id rather stick with an LS7 but I'm learning.

As I replace items in my current short block the coast goes up. Once this coast is 1/2 or more of just ordering a sleeved short block, I feel its better to make the jump, sell mine, find a core and recover some of my coast.

I don't plane on driving the car extremely hard, I just want to be sure it will hold together when I do lean on it.

I just don't want to wish I spent the extra money later. If it makes better sense to go a little over board that's fine.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The LS7 has fragile pistons (and valves) and thin cylinder liners. Although many people have SCed them, they are not ideal. When they blow, it's expensive. There is a reason why GM used the LS3 block for the ZR1, the LS3 block is more stout.

Also, having an LS7 you have to get the heads done. If it was my car I'd keep it a roadrace car and build a proper NA engine. You have a great platform for it and that's what it was designed to do. But if you want SCed I'd personally sell that block and start over.

If you were closer to Austin I'd try and talk you into swapping blocks with me and we could both get what we want!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by GeneSch
I will try to keep this short and simple. I love how my 06 Z06 runs and drives. I will be using it for the street with some road course and some drag but mostly just street.

I was not sure how I would like the z06 because I was a Mustang guy all my years. when I got the Z I just added a ECS and ran it on a safe tune before committing to what direction I want to go. after a few 1,000 miles and driving mine vrs some friends that are all motor, I have decided that I want to build a short block that is ideal for boost.

Goals are to be at 800-850 tops on pump with meth and boost. Car will have coatless exhaust and mild cam for boost. Stock intake and T/B.

My questions are:

1) Do I use my short block and just replace the pistons to a forged 10.0/10.5:1? Can I use my rods and crank or will there be an issue?
What are the issues with just replacing the pistons and rod bolts?

2) Do I just sell my stock low mile short block and just order an ERL short block. If so do I use an LS7 core or any Gen4? What block is best to use as a core and what blocks cores do I need to stay away from? ERL says they are all the same at this point and a 5.3 would be fine. Id rather stick with an LS7 but I'm learning.

As I replace items in my current short block the coast goes up. Once this coast is 1/2 or more of just ordering a sleeved short block, I feel its better to make the jump, sell mine, find a core and recover some of my coast.

I don't plane on driving the car extremely hard, I just want to be sure it will hold together when I do lean on it.

I just don't want to wish I spent the extra money later. If it makes better sense to go a little over board that's fine.
You will be better off selling your short block and purchase an ERL short block for boost. When you keep your crank and replace the piston/rods, the crank will need heavy metal to balance correctly. By the time it's all said and done, you won't save that much money by using your block/crank and won't be as strong compared to ERL sleeved set up.

We have a 2008 Z06 in the shop that had a P1 SC on a stock LS7 and there is coolant in the oiling system. We haven't disassembled the engine yet but I'm sure the liner is cracked. He wanted big power so we went with M5 Superdeck 6 bolt for boost and Brodix 6 bolt heads some by WCCH. With F1C Procharger, it should make over 1,000 RWHP.

Oh by the way, we are an ERL dealer.

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The LS7 has fragile pistons (and valves) and thin cylinder liners. Although many people have SCed them, they are not ideal. When they blow, it's expensive. There is a reason why GM used the LS3 block for the ZR1, the LS3 block is more stout.

Also, having an LS7 you have to get the heads done. If it was my car I'd keep it a roadrace car and build a proper NA engine. You have a great platform for it and that's what it was designed to do. But if you want SCed I'd personally sell that block and start over.

If you were closer to Austin I'd try and talk you into swapping blocks with me and we could both get what we want!
I'm sure you meant GM used LS9 block and not a LS3 block. They are same displacement but different blocks.

Last edited by Rick@RKT Performance; 11-14-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

I'd sell the short block or the whole assembly and start fresh with an ERL bottom end. I have an ERL M2, sold my complete motor.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:11 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Rick@RKT Performance;1590906152]You will be better off selling your short block and purchase an ERL short block for boost. When you keep your crank and replace the piston/rods, the crank will need heavy metal to balance correctly. By the time it's all said and done, you won't save that much money by using your block/crank and won't be as strong compared to ERL sleeved set up.

We have a 2008 Z06 in the shop that had a P1 SC on a stock LS7 and there is coolant in the oiling system. We haven't disassembled the engine yet but I'm sure the liner is cracked. He wanted big power so we went with M5 Superdeck 6 bolt for boost and Brodix 6 bolt heads some by WCCH. With F1C Procharger, it should make over 1,000 RWHP.

Oh by the way, we are an ERL dealer.

What Gen4 block should I look for if I don't use mine?
What block is best and what block should I avoid. Or list them in order of top to bottom..

What kind of a deal can I get if I order a short block thru you rather then ERL direct?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
I'd sell the short block or the whole assembly and start fresh with an ERL bottom end. I have an ERL M2, sold my complete motor.
How many miles have you put on it? Any issues? how mush boost are you running?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Top of the list will be the 5.3L, LS9, LSA, LS2, LS3 and LS7. The 5.3 block is stronger since there aren't any "windows" between the main webbing for "breathing". All the others will be fine to start from.

Give us a call for a quote, we give better deals for forum members. Also, depending on who is installing your new engine, we can take your LS7 in trade.

Last edited by Rick@RKT Performance; 11-15-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:52 AM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT Performance
Top of the list will be the 5.3L, LS9, LSA, LS2, LS3 and LS7. The 5.3 block is stronger since there aren't any "windows" between the main webbing for "breathing". All the others will be fine to start from.

Give us a call for a quote, we give better deals for forum members. Also, depending on who is installing your new engine, we can take your LS7 in trade.
That sounds great, I will give you a call today when I get out of work. Around 4pm
Or pm me an email address and we can talk about it through email
Gene

Last edited by GeneSch; 11-16-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What direction to go with short block, build? ERL users please chim in.

Quick Reply: What direction to go with short block, build? ERL users please chim in.