C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking noise from clutch when engine off

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:32 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Hey Joe, Sorry for chiming in so late. It's been a zoo with work and it's not slowing down

To the OP, I've skimmed through the post/replies really quickly sorry if I missed something, but we really need to pin point the exact location the sound is coming from. I think Dano is on to something with the TB but to be sure get yourself a pair of these.

they are about 20$ and will really help you, along with a friend who can apply the pedal to duplicate the sound. you may also disconnect the quick connect fitting and apply pedal again. if you still hear it it most certainly will not be the clutch.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 PM
xgto
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpmextra
Hey Joe, Sorry for chiming in so late. It's been a zoo with work and it's not slowing down

To the OP, I've skimmed through the post/replies really quickly sorry if I missed something, but we really need to pin point the exact location the sound is coming from. I think Dano is on to something with the TB but to be sure get yourself a pair of these.

they are about 20$ and will really help you, along with a friend who can apply the pedal to duplicate the sound. you may also disconnect the quick connect fitting and apply pedal again. if you still hear it it most certainly will not be the clutch.

Thanks I already have a pair, and yes I have confirmed that the noise is coming from the bell housing. Thing is that other than the clutch pedal feeling like it's slightly binding at times, the trans shifts and runs great.
But the clutch pedal noise under the hood engine off can't be right.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:40 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

OK great. it's likely the slave and not the clutch then. the bearing on the end of the slave is probably the culprit as dano mentioned. it's quite a but less work to just get the slave replaced. the clutch itself requires many more steps from that point.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:22 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Rpm extra the throwout being going bad makes a lot of sense to me, except for one thing - in the old days when a throwout bearing went bad, which wasn't terribly uncommon, when you pushed in the clutch and kept it depressed with the engine running, you normally got a lot of noise as the bearing is crunchy and bad.

XGto do you have any odd noise when the clutch is depressed and held?

The fact that I believe it creaks only when being depressed would lead me to a linkage issue, except obviously that can't be the case with a hydraulic linkage like we have. I can't imagine how that simple slave would make a creaking noise when it was being operated. There's not much to them.

I absolutely could see how clutch fingers might make noise if they were going bad. I don't think this is very common, I've never heard of it but doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

What do you think about this?

And I liked your idea of removing the inner fender and unhooking the master and cycling the pedal to see if it still made noise.

Xgto have you scoped out the clutch pushrod to ensure it's not bent or out of place somehow? Something silly like the clip came off the pedal rod and the pushrod is coming off and rubbing on something?

I know I've recommended replacing the master. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:49 AM
xgto
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Rpm extra the throwout being going bad makes a lot of sense to me, except for one thing - in the old days when a throwout bearing went bad, which wasn't terribly uncommon, when you pushed in the clutch and kept it depressed with the engine running, you normally got a lot of noise as the bearing is crunchy and bad.

XGto do you have any odd noise when the clutch is depressed and held?

The fact that I believe it creaks only when being depressed would lead me to a linkage issue, except obviously that can't be the case with a hydraulic linkage like we have. I can't imagine how that simple slave would make a creaking noise when it was being operated. There's not much to them.

I absolutely could see how clutch fingers might make noise if they were going bad. I don't think this is very common, I've never heard of it but doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

What do you think about this?

And I liked your idea of removing the inner fender and unhooking the master and cycling the pedal to see if it still made noise.

Xgto have you scoped out the clutch pushrod to ensure it's not bent or out of place somehow? Something silly like the clip came off the pedal rod and the pushrod is coming off and rubbing on something?

I know I've recommended replacing the master. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part.
No there is no TB noise when the clutch is in and held to floor. I have also been under the dash 2 times to check and lube everything in the clutch pedal area. The rod is straight and the pin and clip are fine.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:38 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks like pulling the driveline down is the next step. If it's something you'd do yourself feel free to ask me anything. I've done mine 4 times this past summer alone lol along with a few customers cars. Maybe totaling the 15 mark I guess both c5 and c6

Quick Reply: Creaking noise from clutch when engine off