C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with dead drivers door and dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 02:48 PM
TR3HUGR
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with dead drivers door and dash

so I finally decided to put in the wideband and innovate gauge however since I work so much, I did it a little here and a little there till it was done. one of the days I had left the door ajar and of course the battery died. I just used the emergency latch in the back until I had it all back together and ready to crank. I plugged up the battery charger and 24 hours later, the car fired right up.... but that's where the problem starts.

1. the first thing I noticed is that the gauges aren't lit at all. I just happen to tap the dimmer switch and they come right on but the gauges don't work. they all sit at 0 and don't move. and every time I crank the car after that, I still have to hit the dimmer switch to get them to light back up.

2. the drivers door doesn't work at all. the red security light is on and when you touch the pad on the outside, the relay clicks but the door does nothing. from the inside, none of the buttons on the door panel work either. passenger door works fine.

I know you will ask if I hooked it all back up correctly and the answer is yes. I even took the panels out from the knee and dash area to make sure they were all plugged in. and I also did the battery disconnect idea which im starting to think is a myth cause it hasn't worked for me yet!

I can drive the car. it goes into gear but I wont know how fast im going lol. and I cant roll the drivers window up but before I drive to the dealer and seriously overpay to find out whats wrong, I figured id ask here to see if its a problem that has happened before.

should I change the battery even though the one I have will crank the car just fine? any ideas im willing to try! otherwise........ its a trip to the local dealership......................
Old 11-29-2015, 05:33 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Something went amiss when you charged the battery and started the car. Before u go to the dealer, remove the battery and get it load tested. A battery that goes completely dead often shorts out a cell or 2, and the battery is toast and does all sorts of weird electrical things to a C6.

Worse case, the battery is fine. You disconnected the battery to get it tested, so when u re-connect it, all those electrical issues just may reset themselves.

I have electrical schematics of all the systems if you want a copy....shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I;'ll send u the PDF of the schematics

Old 11-30-2015, 08:29 AM
TR3HUGR
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Something went amiss when you charged the battery and started the car. Before u go to the dealer, remove the battery and get it load tested. A battery that goes completely dead often shorts out a cell or 2, and the battery is toast and does all sorts of weird electrical things to a C6.

Worse case, the battery is fine. You disconnected the battery to get it tested, so when u re-connect it, all those electrical issues just may reset themselves.

I have electrical schematics of all the systems if you want a copy....shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I;'ll send u the PDF of the schematics

looks like I will be taking out the battery tonight! thanks again for your time and ill send you that pm asap...... hopefully I wont have to learn to be an electrician.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by TR3HUGR
looks like I will be taking out the battery tonight! thanks again for your time and ill send you that pm asap...... hopefully I wont have to learn to be an electrician.
Received the PM...e-mail sent
The following users liked this post:
TR3HUGR (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 10:17 AM
TR3HUGR
Heel & Toe

well just to provide an update, the battery wasn't a complete waste but since it had died before in the past and it was several years old I changed it anyway. I will admit that with the new battery even the lights on the interior seemed brighter....(may have been me just wishing the problem was fixed). however, the door still didn't work and the dash was still black as night.

I did use the schematics (thanks again LV2TOUR) and go through everything I could to see if there was a problem but eventually I figured out I was in over my head with all of the electrical components that don't involve changing a fuse! so I took it to my local gm dealer....

so far, the drivers door module is out and has to be replaced before they can move on to looking at the dash. hopefully that will fix all of the problems, but somehow I doubt it. only time will tell (and money too) but ill keep you guys posted just in case anyone in the future has the same thing happen to them.....
Old 12-08-2015, 04:43 PM
TR3HUGR
Heel & Toe

ok, in closing......... the door module was the fix for all of the problems. who knew that the door shorting out could make everything else stop working.... anyway, at least it was only a $575 repair! could have been way worse!

Get notified of new replies

To need help with dead drivers door and dash

Quick Reply: need help with dead drivers door and dash