C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best 2 pc light weight rotor for grand sport...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:39 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
Actually I can set you up with a less expensive RB option. This is a more economical option created to compete with other lower cost traditional surface mount rotor offers.

http://www.racingbrake.com/ProductDe...oductCode=2148
Is there any carbon ceramic replacement bolt on rotors for the grand sport Ben thanks...
Old 01-05-2016, 01:31 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

specs for z06/gs front rotors can be had through wilwoods website on the spec sheets for their direct replacement rotors:

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...tion=C-6+-+Z06

14" x 1.25" rotor ring

0.23" offset and 0.3" face thickness rotor hat so 0.53" from the face of the rotor to the face of the wheel/hub

Note: this is all assuming wilwood's specs are correct

As far as "best" - there are too many brands to really go through, but most will be 800 to 1000 bucks. The best ones will have floating retainers rather than bolting the rotor straight to the hat.

Also if you get the brakes custom made, you can spec out titanium for the hats (a couple companies make Ti rotors too but the cost is ridiculous for something that is consumable); this will further help weight and heat transfer to the hubs.

Last edited by el es tu; 01-05-2016 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xBoostx (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 02:18 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

The above parts are the basic 2pc non floating type.

The full floating parts for the Corvette are

As found in the Aero6 race kit with the desired 20mm pads.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

They have complete carbon kits but no ring replacements
Old 01-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Actually I can set you up with a less expensive RB option. This is a more economical option created to compete with other lower cost traditional surface mount rotor offers.

Group buy, middle of winter, online retailer...how can I get sweet deal on a full set of your center mounts????
Old 01-16-2016, 09:21 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Group buy, middle of winter, online retailer...how can I get sweet deal on a full set of your center mounts????
I agree!!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:34 PM
highlift8374
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX View Post

I'm really surprised you guys would even consider rotors made in Taiwan, at least all the Coleman stuff and Girodisc is made in America.

Last edited by highlift8374; 01-19-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:11 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by highlift8374
I'm really surprised you guys would even consider rotors made in Taiwan, at least all the Coleman stuff and Girodisc is made in America.
The radial mounting is appealing to me. If I'm dropping $2K on rotors for my car, I want the best.

If someone can convince me that the others are equivalent, or superior, then I'd listen.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:50 PM
highlift8374
Heel & Toe

The radial mounting is appealing to me. If I'm dropping $2K on rotors for my car, I want the best.

If someone can convince me that the others are equivalent, or superior, then I'd listen.
The radial mount is a horrible design, any engineer knows that cast iron is not meant to be put in shear like that. Just do a little research, there's a number of those that have failed...

It also has no functional advantages, I would think it only creates more turbulence at the base of the rotor ring making it more difficult for air to flow through the rotor. My guess is they did it so they only had to make tooling for one rotor instead of having to make left and right hand specific castings.

Last edited by highlift8374; 01-20-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

That radial design is exactly how they build high end motorcycle rotors.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:55 PM
highlift8374
Heel & Toe

That radial design is exactly how they build high end motorcycle rotors.
You do realize that most motorcycle rotors are made of stainless steel not cast iron right? The shear strength of cast iron is less than 2/3 to that of stainless steel.

Even if they were cast iron 3000+ lbs. and big wide tires is a far cry from a motorcycle...
Old 01-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

lol you know how many parts of your car are made out of the country? I buy American when I can.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

You do realize that most motorcycle rotors are made of stainless steel not cast iron right? The shear strength of cast iron is less than 2/3 to that of stainless steel.

Even if they were cast iron 3000+ lbs. and big wide tires is a far cry from a motorcycle...
The cheap ones are made of SS. The race rotors are cast steel which I why they rust so much. SS doesn't dissipate the heat well.

You mentioned failures, I'd love to see a link or something as I'd like to get educated on the topic. I realize that I can't go back to the track until I get more brake under me so after my car gets back from Dedicated motorsports for some engine work, brakes will be on the list shortly.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:47 PM
highlift8374
Heel & Toe

lol you know how many parts of your car are made out of the country? I buy American when I can.
Oh I know, well aware which is unfortunate but hey that's the world we live in. I guess my point is that with something like brakes when there are a couple options that are 100% American made for the same price it would seem like a no brainier.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:54 PM
highlift8374
Heel & Toe

The cheap ones are made of SS. The race rotors are cast steel which I why they rust so much. SS doesn't dissipate the heat well.

You mentioned failures, I'd love to see a link or something as I'd like to get educated on the topic. I realize that I can't go back to the track until I get more brake under me so after my car gets back from Dedicated motorsports for some engine work, brakes will be on the list shortly.
Interesting, I'm not a motorcycle guy but I know that the Brembo rotors are SS. Regardless the abuse they need to put up with is a far cry from what we put rotors through on our cars.

Just do a quick google image search, this link popped up for me right away with a few examples, scroll to the bottom.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...3#post11129413

I'm sure they've sold a lot of these and most work just fine but it's an inherently bad design so it's not surprising to see it cause issues.

Last edited by highlift8374; 01-20-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

The radial mount is a horrible design, any engineer knows that cast iron is not meant to be put in shear like that. Just do a little research, there's a number of those that have failed...

It also has no functional advantages, I would think it only creates more turbulence at the base of the rotor ring making it more difficult for air to flow through the rotor. My guess is they did it so they only had to make tooling for one rotor instead of having to make left and right hand specific castings.
Thanks for the heads up. After reading around a bit online, it's clear the Racing Brakes have has some breakage likely due to their radial design and that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Thanks again.

I have a little time to think about it. I don't fully understand the differences with the Zips, Colemans, Giros, etc...
Old 01-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

What direction is the shear on the bracket are you looking at???? Have you seen the size of the brackets, if you look at any real race car they have radial mount calipers on them. I would never run a caliper that ears on it in a race car, the radial mount is much stronger.

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 01-21-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best 2 pc light weight rotor for grand sport...

Old 01-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. After reading around a bit online, it's clear the Racing Brakes have has some breakage likely due to their radial design and that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Thanks again.

I have a little time to think about it. I don't fully understand the differences with the Zips, Colemans, Giros, etc...
Coleman does not make two piece rotors for the Corvette. They make brake rotor disks and then custom machine them for their customers (Zip). They do not make the hats and they do not share the deminsion that they machine the rotors for us. Coleman is simply the manufacture of the rotor disk.

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 01-21-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Coleman does not make two piece rotors for the Corvette. They make brake rotor disks and then custom machine them for their customers (Zip). They do not make the hats and they do not share the deminsion that they machine the rotors for us. Coleman is simply the manufacture of the rotor disk.
Thanks for the clarification. What are the practical differences between all the manufacturers that seem to use Coleman rotors as part of their 2 piece discs?

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
68LS2Camaro (01-31-2018)
Old 01-21-2016, 02:44 PM
highlift8374
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
What direction is the shear on the bracket are you looking at???? Have you seen the size of the brackets, if you look at any real race car they have radial mount calipers on them. I would never run a caliper that ears on it in a race car, the radial mount is much stronger.
We're talking about the RacingBrake convergent mount design thing they do to attach the rotors to the hats, he just happened to call it radial mount so I did the same. I was confused at fist as well and was thinking calipers when he said radial mount, don't worry I'm all about radial mount calipers.

Quick Reply: Best 2 pc light weight rotor for grand sport...