C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best 2 pc light weight rotor for grand sport...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Quick search and there,s several 3d scan service around my area.

Thank you for your answer.
What are you going to do with a 3D scan?????? Coleman doesn't make a 1 piece rotor. I can't wait to see how everyone thinks they are going to save money by doing this. First off the 3D scan is not going to tell you anything different about the stock rotors that a good tape measure will not. From there you have to design a hat, you have to write a program to make the hat on your cnc lathe. You have to use a cnc lathe to then mill the hat and machine the holes which that will also need to have a program written for it. So to get Machine shop to this for you is possibly, but they are not going to make one set. So unless you want 100 sets of rotors sitting in your garage, probably buying them from someone is the way to go.
Justin
Old 01-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by highlift8374
We're talking about the RacingBrake convergent mount design thing they do to attach the rotors to the hats, he just happened to call it radial mount so I did the same. I was confused at fist as well and was thinking calipers when he said radial mount, don't worry I'm all about radial mount calipers.
I can't say because I have not looked at what anyone else has put together. First Coleman has a bunch of different rotor options, so they can use different rotors. Then you have the hat, ours are 6061T6 Aluminum that is then hardcoated. I also have provisions for parking brakes or without. I also use Aerospace grade mil-spec fastners. I can only tell you about mine. We tested for several years on SCCA race cars before we sold any of these to the public, the only street car that had them was my C5. I used to race this car with NCCC and that was in 03 time frame. I don't own the car anymore but it also had some track days on it and it still has the same rotors and AP calipers on it that I installed.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Zip Corvettes

Well we have a floating as well, and all of our stuff is made in the USA.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:28 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

J.Abbott, I'll be giving you a call before too long. After all you support our forum but it also appears you offer a solid product.

If a sale comes along beforehand however, be sure and post a notification!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Racing Brake rotor components were made in Taiwan, since they started their business 30 years ago.

RB was the first brake company introduced two piece rotors for Corvette ZR1 since 2006 (10 years ago), so the consensus of their reputation is "not surprising" at all.

Here are a couple of links... I have had my CTS V2 clients running their rotors for years on the very heavy 4400lb supercharged beast and they've been fantastic.

"When we were questioned or purposely ill-portrayed by some "users", it usually from those who associated with competitions that are in lower level than us, so we feel honor about that."

1. RB addressed competition's false claims
http://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/6...ml#post6681739

2. Review on RB two piece rotors by BMW driver
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474395
Old 02-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Ben, are you a vendor for RBs?
Any forum discounts?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

I did do a lot of research on the reported failures with the Racing Brake product.

They had one high profile failure on a CTS in 2014 and the reason for that failure was the customer combined some parts to build his big brake kit. Here is a response from RB about it explaining exactly whay happened.

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=1482

There are several older documented Subaru failures and RB point blank told me that an entire batch for hats were not done correctly about 10 years ago and several broke before they figured it out.

If you study brake technology, I'm left with the absolute opinion that RB is the best product for our cars and I intend to buy some before my next track day. The (high) price is my last hurdle.

If I can get a deal now, I'll buy them now. If not, I'll bite the bullet after summer time but before my next track day.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:08 PM
Warren-RB
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just replied to a thread here.

RacingBrake rotors vs AP Racing J hooks

Since AP's agent/rep. made a comparison
about how AP rotors are designed including some critics about RB design which holds no ground, so we like to clarify and present to members of our design based on the proven theory and facts.*

Other than the material of cast iron which micro-structure is of prime importance, how the rotor is designed is crucial for an efficient heat removal from the brake system, and how the disc and hat are attached together for delivering consistent brake torque under extreme heat is where RB design stands out.

We expect to post two more replies, so if you are interested in learning more please follow above thread.

I am glad to have this opportunity to share these design principle with you, and we appreciate the supports and confidence that Corvette track racers have placed on RB since our first release of two piece rotor for Z06 in 2006.

Thank you.

Warren-RB

*Discussion is focused on brake designs than some of the incidents that were noted here.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Warren-RB
8th Gear

We just replied to this thread here which related to this discussion:
Racing Brake rotors vs AP Racing J hooks

Since AP representative presented AP rotor design and had some critics about RB design which not only doesn't hold the ground but can be misleading. So we like to present our design principle* and why they work better, and leave it to members' judgement.

We expect to post two more replies for this topic, so for those who are interested in learning more please follow above thread.

We appreciate the support and confidence that Corvette track racers placed on us since our release of two piece rotors for Z06 in 2006.

Thank you.

Warren-RB

*Discussion is focused on design theory only than some brake incidents noted here.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Warren-RB
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Ben, are you a vendor for RBs?
Any forum discounts?
Yes, Ben is RB's authorized dealer, very knowledgeable and patient in helping with Corvette owners for their brake replacement/upgrade.

RB two piece rotors are also favored by CamaroSS/ZL1 and CTS-V (G1/G2) track racers.

So tell Ben what you need, including the complete brake system w/RB calipers and I am sure Ben will not disappoint you.

Last edited by Warren-RB; 06-07-2016 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Best 2 pc light weight rotor for grand sport...