C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme steering wheel shake on 07 Z51 A6?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:44 PM
speedman
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Extreme steering wheel shake on 07 Z51 A6?????

Hi everyone,

I just finished a road test after replacing both front wheel hub assemblies on my 07 Z51 A6 and also replaced all rotors and pads on the car. The rotors and brake parts are all OEM AC Delco parts and the front wheel hubs are Timken. I torqued all of the components to spec as per my FSM, I also have aftermarket Z06 replica wheels with Pilot PS2 tires.

Before I replaced the front hubs, rotors, and pads i noticed a mild shake in my steering wheel at around 55-60 MPH, however, after i replaced the hubs and rotors, during my road test my steering wheel shakes much worse than before.

I have read the threads on this issue and most have solved this problem by removing those metal retainer washers from the rotor. And i have also read that a wheel balance has solved this issue as well.

The aftermarket rims have less then 2500 miles on them and were balanced before installation by the dealership and i discarded the retaining washers when I replaced the rotors.

What could possibly be causing such a increase in steering wheel shake? I can only think of either a worn tie rod or my wheels are somehow out of balance again?

What do you think? Thanks in advance for your reply!
Old 12-31-2015, 10:00 PM
tuboy19
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a junk set of replicas that would not balance out perfect, could get them close but replicas are almost always a lower quality than OEM. Double check you didn't have any wheel weights come off... may also want to go somewhere else and have them check the balance on the wheels.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:17 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Have you tried to check your rotor runout where the rotor and wheel meets?

remove your wheels and install two lug nuts to secure the rotors.

Set up a dial indicator and set your zero on the outer most diameter of the rotor wheel interface.

Rotate your rotor and watch the runout.

DJ

Get notified of new replies

To Extreme steering wheel shake on 07 Z51 A6?????

Quick Reply: Extreme steering wheel shake on 07 Z51 A6?????