C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a lil more power. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:01 AM
DirtyOilMan
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Want a lil more power. Need advice.

Hi all. I'm 100% sure that a lot of you did the same as I want to, so I really need your advice.
Starting point: 2008 C6 base, auto, LS3, MP112 Maggie with stock 3.4" pulley (7.25 psi peak), Callaway CAI, Bassani catback. All of that is making really good power but I need a bit more I'm not crazy about 1000+ hp race cars, 600 at wheels I guess is enough for me.
So here is the list what I want to do:
1. LS7 OBX long tubes with fast flow cats, 1 7/8, already on a shelf.
2. 3" pulley for Maggie (? what psi can I expect going from 3.4" (7.25psi) to 3.0"? Target is 10 psi, unfortunately Maggie is hot )
3. LS9 camshaft (Or maybe somebody have experience with another mild supercharger cams? LSX? Want a little lope if possible)
4. 3 bolt kit for cam swap - 3 bolt timing sprocket, C5R heavy duty chain (what else do I need? Any gaskets?)
5. Tune (unfortunately I'm too far away from US and e-mail tune is my option. Please advice me good tuner to work with. Heard alot good words about Chuck CoW)

Generally that is it. Guys I need your opinion and advice.
Thanks

Vasiliy
Old 01-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Steve Haefner
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Heck if it hasn't been tuned that might be enough.

You are thinking of things in the right order, I'd maybe do the pulley first (cheapest I assume). Also consider a COMP LSR FI grind, and for sure the tune when you are "done" my .02
The following users liked this post:
DirtyOilMan (01-06-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 12:49 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Call me....

Originally Posted by DirtyOilMan
Hi all. I'm 100% sure that a lot of you did the same as I want to, so I really need your advice.
Starting point: 2008 C6 base, auto, LS3, MP112 Maggie with stock 3.4" pulley (7.25 psi peak), Callaway CAI, Bassani catback. All of that is making really good power but I need a bit more I'm not crazy about 1000+ hp race cars, 600 at wheels I guess is enough for me.
2. 3" pulley for Maggie (? what psi can I expect going from 3.4" (7.25psi) to 3.0"? Target is 10 psi, unfortunately Maggie is hot )
3. LS9 camshaft (Or maybe somebody have experience with another mild supercharger cams? LSX? Want a little lope if possible)
4. 3 bolt kit for cam swap - 3 bolt timing sprocket, C5R heavy duty chain (what else do I need? Any gaskets?)
5. Tune (unfortunately I'm too far away from US and e-mail tune is my option. Please advice me good tuner to work with. Heard alot good words about Chuck CoW)

Thanks

Vasiliy
Hey Boss... Give me a ring. I see you have some expensive options you're considering

and I've got a $99. option that will absolutely be MORE FUN than any of the things you've

mentioned.

914-332-0049
Chuck CoW
DirtyOilMan (01-06-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 03:46 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Good talking with you today....

Thanks

Vasiliy

Vasiliy,

Good talking with you today....

Here are the links I spoke about on the phone....

CoW BOOSTER!

AutoCal

CONTACT US

Call any time.
Chuck CoW
DirtyOilMan (01-06-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 03:47 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

600 at the wheels, through an A6, is a pretty tall order when you're dealing with an MP112. Do the 3" pulley, cam, and long tubes. Enjoy what it gives you. It won't be 600 wheel, but it will be a load of fun on the street and a VERY nice upgrade in power vs what you have now. With a good tensioner and the correct belt, you won't have to deal with belt slip. IAT's shouldn't be a big issue either as your boost shouldn't be much over what it is now. The cam and headers will lower the boost. The smaller pulley will bring it back up. Probably 8.5ish psi when you're done.

Ditch the LS9 cam idea. Nothing wrong with it but you won't even notice it. Runs smooth as stock. Something like a 220/234 118+2 cam would work well. A little lope, but not too difficult to tune. If you wanted more cam music, you could have the same specs ground on a 116lsa with no advance. That one would have a little more chop to it.

Last edited by old motorhead; 01-05-2016 at 03:49 PM.
DirtyOilMan (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:05 AM
DirtyOilMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Vasiliy,

Good talking with you today....

Here are the links I spoke about on the phone....

CoW BOOSTER!

AutoCal

CONTACT US

Call any time.
Chuck CoW
Thanks Chuck.
As per our discussion in my case I need EFILive Flash that is pretty expensive instead of HPTuner that I already have. I'm not able to send you a PCM. So if you have a chance to adjust my tune with HPTuner software it would be awesome.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2016, 12:19 AM
DirtyOilMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
600 at the wheels, through an A6, is a pretty tall order when you're dealing with an MP112. Do the 3" pulley, cam, and long tubes. Enjoy what it gives you. It won't be 600 wheel, but it will be a load of fun on the street and a VERY nice upgrade in power vs what you have now. With a good tensioner and the correct belt, you won't have to deal with belt slip. IAT's shouldn't be a big issue either as your boost shouldn't be much over what it is now. The cam and headers will lower the boost. The smaller pulley will bring it back up. Probably 8.5ish psi when you're done.

Ditch the LS9 cam idea. Nothing wrong with it but you won't even notice it. Runs smooth as stock. Something like a 220/234 118+2 cam would work well. A little lope, but not too difficult to tune. If you wanted more cam music, you could have the same specs ground on a 116lsa with no advance. That one would have a little more chop to it.
Thanks for your response. Never know that headers and cam decrease boost pressure. Now understand that it is going due to increased flow and that is good point, because I will stay almost at the same IAT. And still have some room to make Maggie pulley a bit smaller.
Another question is about camshaft. I am absolutely new to this and never had any experience with cams. Tried to find cam with figures you wrote and had no luck. Btw I've read that lift should be not more than 0.600 to keep stock head internals. Is this right? Also I want to keep stock torque converter. Maybe you have some links that can help me?

Thanks and really appreciate your help

Last edited by DirtyOilMan; 01-06-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:20 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

600 at the wheels (675 on the motor) is doable with just changing the S/C pulley, but you need to add in a Meth kit as well.
Note, need to check your injector sizes, and even your fuel pump for the added demand they will need to supply.

The meth kit is going to be your safety margin for octane rating/cooling, so the timing can be pushed with the added boost in the re-tune.

For 700hp at the motor, then headers added with high flow cats so the exhaust/heads can scavenge better to hit the higher number.

As for cam, the higher the lift, the faster your going to wear out valve springs, and the more often they will need to be changed. So cam not needed to hit 700HP, just smaller pulley, Meth kit, and headers with high flow cats.

As for Meth mix (50 percent meth-50 percent distilled water), if you check around, should be able to buy 100% methanol from a chemical supply store for under 150 ruble per litter (so the meth mix fluid is kept on the cheap side of under 200 ruble a liter, instead of buying store pre mix that will run you around 800 ruble a liter isntead).

As for meth mix usage, 6 litters should hold you off for a month of normal street driving. and since the mix is just a higher meth content than windshield wiper fluid (wiper fluid has around 20% meth-80% water), you can keep a extra gallon of mix in the back if you run low and need to fill back up on the road.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-06-2016 at 01:42 AM.
DirtyOilMan (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 01:08 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Thanks Chuck.
As per our discussion in my case I need EFILive Flash that is pretty expensive instead of HPTuner that I already have. I'm not able to send you a PCM. So if you have a chance to adjust my tune with HPTuner software it would be awesome.

Thanks
Actually, the EfiLive V2 cable I use is about $900.

What I was advising is the EfiLive AutoCal that is only $350. That is all you need.

Once you e-mail your HP TUNER tunes to me, I'll be able to tell the best way to go.

EfiLive is much easier for me to do remote tunes with, but I may be able to help you with HPT.

Just so everyone reading knows, This customer is in Russia. Just a bit more complicated on the

mail order tune side of things.

Send that e-mail and I'll have a look.

CHUCK CoW's E-MAIL - CLICK HERE

Thank you.
Chuck CoW
DirtyOilMan (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 03:42 AM
DirtyOilMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
As for cam, the higher the lift, the faster your going to wear out valve springs, and the more often they will need to be changed. So cam not needed to hit 700HP, just smaller pulley, Meth kit, and headers with high flow cats.

As for Meth mix (50 percent meth-50 percent distilled water), if you check around, should be able to buy 100% methanol from a chemical supply store for under 150 ruble per litter (so the meth mix fluid is kept on the cheap side of under 200 ruble a liter, instead of buying store pre mix that will run you around 800 ruble a liter isntead).

As for meth mix usage, 6 litters should hold you off for a month of normal street driving. and since the mix is just a higher meth content than windshield wiper fluid (wiper fluid has around 20% meth-80% water), you can keep a extra gallon of mix in the back if you run low and need to fill back up on the road.
Wow, more and more interesting info. I doubt that I can find methanol somewhere here, but I can find pure medical alcohol (ethanol) for 3$ per liter or 11$ per gallon. Can I use it instead?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:37 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Remember....

Wow, more and more interesting info. I doubt that I can find methanol somewhere here, but I can find pure medical alcohol (ethanol) for 3$ per liter or 11$ per gallon. Can I use it instead?
Remember.... The A6 transmission will not like power levels in that area.

You are in Russia and it might not be soo easy to rebuild or get a replacement transmission.

Again, let's look over the overall tune you have before we upgrade the car..

I suspect you have a Maggie "starter tune" and there might be much more on the table.

Chuck CoW
DirtyOilMan (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 05:24 AM
DirtyOilMan
Instructor

Remember.... The A6 transmission will not like power levels in that area.

You are in Russia and it might not be soo easy to rebuild or get a replacement transmission.

Again, let's look over the overall tune you have before we upgrade the car..

I suspect you have a Maggie "starter tune" and there might be much more on the table.

Chuck CoW
I do understand that. That is why I wrote that I'm not crazy about thousands of horses. Stock 6L80E has safe limit at 650-670 crank hp according to the info gathered from this forum. So it is exactly around my target 600 whp. And thats enough for me... I hope... My wife hopes when counting family budget

Check e-mail please.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Methanol has a better cooling effect over ethanol, while ethanol has a higher octane rating than methanol.

So if push comes to shove, then run windshield washer fluid that has about 20% meth/80% water (blue winter blend windshield washer fluid), then bump it with 30% ethanol to bring it up to a 20% meth/30% ethanol/50% water mix for the mix to have the car tuned to, and to run on.

If all you can find is summer windshield washer fluid, then figure that its about 16% meth isntead, and go with more 34% ethanol so your only running about 50% water in the mix.

As for 100% Ethanol or Methanol, it not what you want for the TVS-2300, since with it spooling faster and we need water as well in the mix to keep the S/C from just becoming a heat pump instead.

Plus the water in the mix give you more powder, since at it burns, it expands into the steam, which not only give you more push on the down stroke, but keeps the cylinder and exhaust steam cleaned as well. Hence less oil on the piston/ in the cylinders from the steam cleaning effect of the meth kit with water, the less octane loss effect from oil in the combustion chamber as well.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Steve Haefner
Racer

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

You will want the -20 washer fluid. Most washer fluids rated between -20 and -35 degree's below zero contain between 30-40% methanol. You can then "spike" it with heat (12 oz of pure meth) yay

Or order boost juice from local speed shop or order direct.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html
Old 01-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve Haefner
You will want the -20 washer fluid. Most washer fluids rated between -20 and -35 degree's below zero contain between 30-40% methanol. You can then "spike" it with heat (12 oz of pure meth) yay

Or order boost juice from local speed shop or order direct.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html
Problem is most of the winter off brands, are not true -20 below fluids. Throw in the fact that he is in Russia ,and much safer bet to just bank on that fluid being 20% on the average for winter blend instead. Hence take Florida, and there local summer windshield wiper fluid only contains about 7% meth only.

Hence a little higher octane rating on the added alcohol, is much safer, than not enough for the timing advance safety margin, and even with a slight less amount of water, still enough to prevent heat soak.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:18 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Checked out your e-mail.... Check yours...

I do understand that. That is why I wrote that I'm not crazy about thousands of horses. Stock 6L80E has safe limit at 650-670 crank hp according to the info gathered from this forum. So it is exactly around my target 600 whp. And thats enough for me... I hope... My wife hopes when counting family budget

Check e-mail please.

Thanks
Checked out your e-mail.... Check yours... Logs do not show wide band from what I see.

It looks like its very boring to drive and I'm concerned about the trans.

Trans is totally stock and the engine is nothing special.

There's LOTS of room to play not even getting into other mods and such....

Call when you have time.
Chuck CoW
Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Steve Haefner
Racer

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Checked out your e-mail.... Check yours... Logs do not show wide band from what I see.

It looks like its very boring to drive and I'm concerned about the trans.

Trans is totally stock and the engine is nothing special.

There's LOTS of room to play not even getting into other mods and such....

Call when you have time.
Chuck CoW
I figured, so basically no tune. He will be happy then
Chuck CoW (01-06-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 01:40 AM
DirtyOilMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve Haefner
I figured, so basically no tune. He will be happy then
I bet on safe Maggie tune. To tell the truth I'm running 4.64 sec 0-60 and 12.61 sec 1/4mi on 305/30-19 Michelin PS, usual road and 68F outside. Forum says that stock cars show these numbers
Name:  photo158.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  164.7 KB
Name:  photo586.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  160.7 KB
And the log of this best run
Name:  photo980.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  136.9 KB

Really confused. Probably I can safe my money, stay with headers only plus proper tune and be happy?..
Old 01-07-2016, 12:57 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default YES, you can.

I bet on safe Maggie tune. To tell the truth I'm running 4.64 sec 0-60 and 12.61 sec 1/4mi on 305/30-19 Michelin PS, usual road and 68F outside. Forum says that stock cars show these numbers
Attachment 47944409
Attachment 47944408
And the log of this best run
Attachment 47944410

Really confused. Probably I can safe my money, stay with headers only plus proper tune and be happy?..
YES, you can. I'll GUARANTEE that my Tune and CoW BOOSTER! alone will change the car drastically.

You can easily go to the next level my way for hardly any money and NO RISK to the car.

Long after that, when you become bored again, then make the other "power" mods.

Having a blower with a STOCK transmission tune does not make you much faster than a stock car.

You're seeing that right now with your photos.

MORE POWER is always nice, but too many people think that MORE POWER is always the answer.

I seem many, many cars that have big mods like blowers that are running nowhere near their potential...

Just like your car.

FOR SURE that's why you're disappointed..... I can fix that easily and inexpensively.

Let me know when you're ready.

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To Want a lil more power. Need advice.

Quick Reply: Want a lil more power. Need advice.