C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasty Cam/Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:20 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Check his thread. Dyno numbers in his sig.

Yes a big cam will buck even with a converter. My friend had a huge cam in his a6 car with a 3200 stall that about shook my teeth out. Theofel. He took it out and put in a smaller cam. Slowed down a little but the car was a lot more pleasant to drive. PM him if you'd like to hear more.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:31 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Check his thread. Dyno numbers in his sig.

Yes a big cam will buck even with a converter. My friend had a huge cam in his a6 car with a 3200 stall that about shook my teeth out. Theofel. He took it out and put in a smaller cam. Slowed down a little but the car was a lot more pleasant to drive. PM him if you'd like to hear more.
Ok. Thanks very much for the input. I might just a converter and install (Yank) before cam to see what the difference feels like then install cam.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:35 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Smart move. The car will be amazing with the converter.

Hoxxoh and Theofel both turned 10's with just converter and headers and tune. It's a great mod.
The following users liked this post:
Proud Owner (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 08:03 AM
Proud Owner
Racer

Smart move. The car will be amazing with the converter.

Hoxxoh and Theofel both turned 10's with just converter and headers and tune. It's a great mod.
By chance do you know what Converter they used? And I would imagine that after installing a converter tune is needed or no? I am tuned at moment with HP.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Proud Owner
By chance do you know what Converter they used? And I would imagine that after installing a converter tune is needed or no? I am tuned at moment with HP.
I think 3900 got them the 10 second slip. Might have been 3600. I've asked Theofel to step in and report what he used.

Yes you need a transmission tune for the converter. And you can ruin your transmission very easily with the wrong tune. Be sure and use someone well experienced in tuning the A6 transmission for your work.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:11 AM
Proud Owner
Racer

I think 3900 got them the 10 second slip. Might have been 3600. I've asked Theofel to step in and report what he used.

Yes you need a transmission tune for the converter. And you can ruin your transmission very easily with the wrong tune. Be sure and use someone well experienced in tuning the A6 transmission for your work.
Oh GOD please. I do feel the transmission searching for gears occasionally. Tuner told me it is because I requested for hard shifts. My tune is locked so no adjustments can be made without my tuner at moment unlocking it. I hate that these tuners lock everybody out. Hell, it is my car. I wonder how I can just pull the tune to look at it??

Last edited by Proud Owner; 01-19-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Tuners DO NOT lock tunes any more. That was so "2001".

Demand he unlock your tune and then, consider going to another tuner. Blaming a tranny problem on your desire for firm shifts smells like to me.

Good tuners can unlock your tune as well I believe if this guy gives you a hard time. I seem to recall chuck COW stating that he can do it.

If you have HP Tuners try to load the tune and see what it says. I've never seen a locked tune so I don't know. Normally HP will download a tune then ask if you want to license it, you say no thanks, then you can look at the tune to your heart's content, just can't change it and reflash it.

Last edited by Joe_G; 01-19-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 AM
Proud Owner
Racer

Demand he unlock your tune and then, consider going to another tuner. Blaming a tranny problem on your desire for firm shifts smells like to me.

Good tuners can unlock your tune as well I believe if this guy gives you a hard time. I seem to recall chuck COW stating that he can do it.

If you have HP Tuners try to load the tune and see what it says. I've never seen a locked tune so I don't know. Normally HP will download a tune then ask if you want to license it, you say no thanks, then you can look at the tune to your heart's content, just can't change it and reflash it.
Actually I asked a couple shops here in Dallas and they told me that they lock their tunes (HP) because they do not want customer doing things to it. I might go to a neutral shop and have them pull tune. But I am just wanting a HONEST PROFESSIONAL OPINION and that is hard to get. Most tuners will find something they do not like then sell you their tune. Egos is the problem here.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:45 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Call LG and see what they can do for you. I've purchased only a cam from them but their customer service has been exemplary and I've seen them help many people on this board over the years.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Proud Owner
Racer

Call LG and see what they can do for you. I've purchased only a cam from them but their customer service has been exemplary and I've seen them help many people on this board over the years.
I will search for their #. Joe you seem to know some stuff. When can I drop off car for install?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Steve Haefner
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by russ472
who is doing all that work for 1300?
CBI Streetcars near St. Louis.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Proud Owner
I will search for their #. Joe you seem to know some stuff. When can I drop off car for install?
Here you go. https://www.lgmotorsports.com

I've been a shade tree guy for 35 years. I do NOT know, currently, how to tune an A6 but I know enough to know it's imperative to get someone who does. LG fits that bill.

Stick around this forum, ask questions and keep being kind to others so they respond to you. Virtually anything you need to know about a Vette is here, either search for your question or just ask it, and you will get your answer.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Proud Owner
Racer

Here you go. https://www.lgmotorsports.com

I've been a shade tree guy for 35 years. I do NOT know, currently, how to tune an A6 but I know enough to know it's imperative to get someone who does. LG fits that bill.

Stick around this forum, ask questions and keep being kind to others so they respond to you. Virtually anything you need to know about a Vette is here, either search for your question or just ask it, and you will get your answer.
Thank you Joe. They open in 3 minutes I already tried calling.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:45 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you Joe....

Good tuners can unlock your tune as well I believe if this guy gives you a hard time.
No, they can't. The number of tuners that CAN unlock a tune is close to zero or could be counted on one hand.

Thank you Joe.

YES, I can unlock just about any Tuner's engine tune. Also, I've had very good luck "UN-BRICKING"

E38s where the tuner flashed the wrong year OS into it and it crashed the ECM... It takes a while

but I can usually do it. I suppose I could unlock a TCM in principal, but I have not tried it.

I would need to have any ECM or TCM here on the bench a few days to do it.

On the locking topic.... I do understand why people do it. Back in the day there were not many tuners

out there.... Less potential for someone to mess with your work. Not really stealing your secrets, like

people like to think.... But, being responsible for the tune....Just so long as nobody else messes with it.

Times are different now.... EVERYONE is tuning it seems... Most do not have the knowledge or experience

to do it right, and more people are going to suffer than ever before.

Tuners that lock their tunes are obviously looking to limit liability rather than protect intellectual property.

Agreed. Let it blow up and then (cause it's still locked) try to make him responsible....

Some people never learn. They run from tuner to tuner and never get anywhere...

Smells like BS to me too.

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 01-19-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:48 AM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

Don't go to a large cam with the A6. My ride ran a 10.6...10.7 with a 230/234 on a 114+2 ( Spinmonster spec) with a a3600 stall. Same set up with an A&A ran a flat 10. If you go to a larger cam or a cam on a 112 you'll get a lot of surging on a A6 tranny and you will loose a lot of driveability. Bigger is not always better. Good luck with you decision.

Last edited by theofel; 01-21-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:17 AM
Proud Owner
Racer

Originally Posted by theofel
Don't go to a large cam with the A6. My ride ran a 10.6...10.7 with a 230/234 on a 114+2 ( Spinmonster spec) with a a3600 stall. Same set up with an A&A ran a flat 10. If you go to a larger cam or a cam on a 112 you'll get a lot of surging and you will loose a lot of driveability. Bigger is not always better. Good luck with you decision.
Thanks for input. What other mods do you have?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Big cam here on a stock stall...........shakes, rattles and rolls..........just the way I want it!

http://vid1097.photobucket.com/album...pssym6m6qi.mp4

Tip: Don't take your foot off the brake at a red light.

Last edited by Speedforhire; 01-21-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Nasty Cam/Torque Converter

Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Proud Owner
Racer

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
Big cam here on a stock stall...........shakes, rattles and rolls..........just the way I want it!

http://vid1097.photobucket.com/album...pssym6m6qi.mp4

Tip: Don't take your foot off the brake at a red light.
I was waiting for camera to go to the rear. Now that is what I am searching for. Wife approved your video Presently looking at a LG Motorsports setup. G6X3 What do ya think of the Specs with that cam?
Old 01-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Comp Cams 227/243 .611/.624 113+2 with all supporting mods except heads. The LS3 heads flow extremely well so I did not replace/port them. I've bought a BIGGER cam (23* overlap) that I plan to install when it warms up; and I plan to add the GM CNC heads also. I wrench it all myself, including a custom exhaust that turns down in front of the rear trans axle. I'll try t upload a new video soon.

I can't vouch for LG as I've had negative encounters with them. I will say this: Do not buy the Street Series setup, it fits like crap. :-(
Old 01-21-2016, 01:46 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
Comp Cams 227/243 .611/.624 113+2 with all supporting mods except heads. The LS3 heads flow extremely well so I did not replace/port them. I've bought a BIGGER cam (23* overlap) that I plan to install when it warms up; and I plan to add the GM CNC heads also. I wrench it all myself, including a custom exhaust that turns down in front of the rear trans axle. I'll try t upload a new video soon.

I can't vouch for LG as I've had negative encounters with them. I will say this: Do not buy the Street Series setup, it fits like crap. :-(
Yes please upload video. Not sure what you mean buy street series fits like crap? (G6X3 - 2,000-7,000rpm - Needs headers, lumpy idle change, 2,600-3,200 stall converter suggested, 60+hp) That is the Cam package that I am looking to get from LG. Not sure if this is the Street Series that you are talking about. Everything that I have heard about LG has been awesome. Even a buddy in Maryland recommended them. As far as their communication and customer service they are outstanding. As far as installs I have not done that yet and can give feedback then. Anthony is their tuner and he went over everything with me. Took quality time to explain things to me.

Last edited by Proud Owner; 01-21-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Nasty Cam/Torque Converter