C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Brake Pads; Now Loud Click from Shifter (A6)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 PM
TexVette01
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Changed Brake Pads; Now Loud Click from Shifter (A6)

So I replaced my brake pads and now when I press the brake pedal to shift out of park I have a loud click sound happen from the shifter. This was not occurring prior to the pad replacement.

I suppose its the shift interlock activating but I'm wondering why its loud now. It sucks when you go to do something and another totally unrelated problem pops up.

Is a new A6 shifter in my future? I'm kind of worried its going to start that 'won't shift out of park' crap that early C6s are so famous for.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:19 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by TexVette01
So I replaced my brake pads and now when I press the brake pedal to shift out of park I have a loud click sound happen from the shifter. This was not occurring prior to the pad replacement.

I suppose its the shift interlock activating but I'm wondering why its loud now. It sucks when you go to do something and another totally unrelated problem pops up.

Is a new A6 shifter in my future? I'm kind of worried its going to start that 'won't shift out of park' crap that early C6s are so famous for.
Don't worry about it not shifting out of Park. If it doesn't one day, just push down on the right side of the middle of the shifter boot, and it will unlock the shifter pawl.

If it continues, either tie back the locking pawl, or get a new shifter (which is not always the answer) as the new shifter can do it as well.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:59 PM
TexVette01
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Don't worry about it not shifting out of Park. If it doesn't one day, just push down on the right side of the middle of the shifter boot, and it will unlock the shifter pawl.

If it continues, either tie back the locking pawl, or get a new shifter (which is not always the answer) as the new shifter can do it as well.
Thanks I'll keep this in mind for the future. Just got back from a dinner run and the loud clicking has gone away. I'm hoping it was a one time thing, but it probably wasn't
Old 01-26-2016, 08:53 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR

Awesome and thanks for the PDF!

My buddies '08 is having this trouble more and more, will have to fix him up now!

Thanks,Matt

Get notified of new replies

To Changed Brake Pads; Now Loud Click from Shifter (A6)

Quick Reply: Changed Brake Pads; Now Loud Click from Shifter (A6)