C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world data of Vararam vs Halltech?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
I have had a vararam on my C6 for 9 years this one in the pic for 7, my first one I gave to LS1LT1 and he went 10s also with bolt/ons and still has it on with no problems, the reason I changed was they made a new design with a different bottom, and filter with a new design, both work great, and no water leaves or dirt past the filter and I have been de screened, I put my first one on, followed the instructions and didnt even tune and picked up 5/10s 5 mph in the 1/4, its all documented in the C6performance list.
Dennis, I am somewhat new to the Vette world. I did see your link to your N/A times on the other forum. Very nice times. I would love to get into the 10s and then stop. The wife has a way of controlling me. I am concerned of the hydrolocking comments I have been reading. I am in a 2012 Grand Sport about to do a Cam/Torque Converter.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:51 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by Proud Owner
Dennis, I am somewhat new to the Vette world. I did see your link to your N/A times on the other forum. Very nice times. I would love to get into the 10s and then stop. The wife has a way of controlling me. I am concerned of the hydrolocking comments I have been reading. I am in a 2012 Grand Sport about to do a Cam/Torque Converter.
Don't drive through water that approaches the fog lights and you won't hydrolock it.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:30 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I live in the north east south jersey, lots of thunder storms and down pours deep puddles, I have hit them at speed and filter is dry, just dont drive threw any deep washouts streams or lakes, if it looks deep try to avoid or what and check, stuff like that would drown out the stock or any intake. just use common sense
Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

I live in the north east south jersey, lots of thunder storms and down pours deep puddles, I have hit them at speed and filter is dry, just dont drive threw any deep washouts streams or lakes, if it looks deep try to avoid or what and check, stuff like that would drown out the stock or any intake. just use common sense
Has anyone put up one of these CAIs next to a stock intake? Reason I ask is that these manufacturers stretch #s big time. I have seen claims by manufacturers of 30 HP on 4 cylinders. At moment I have a drop in AFE dry filter. And for $500 that is probably where I will stay.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:01 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Has anyone put up one of these CAIs next to a stock intake? Reason I ask is that these manufacturers stretch #s big time. I have seen claims by manufacturers of 30 HP on 4 cylinders. At moment I have a drop in AFE dry filter. And for $500 that is probably where I will stay.
I ran stock to vararam within a 10ft DA difference and gained 5/10 5 mph if i remember correctly 12.90 to 12.38
Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

I ran stock to vararam within a 10ft DA difference and gained 5/10 5 mph if i remember correctly 12.90 to 12.38
Your times in your sig in other forum? That was with NOS?

Last edited by Proud Owner; 01-28-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:47 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Your times in your sig in other forum? That was with NOS?
NO the car ran 10.62 bolt/ons only, the car ran 10.16 NA on an easy launch and back peddling with full size battery me at 293 nakid so 306 pounds dressed to race in the cold, track prep sucked bottle removed and the noids, tommyd who does the performance list was their to inspect car each pass, I have never ran the car at the track with nitrous or on a street race, I dialed the kit in on the street with 3 full passes to about half mile letting it shift into fourth, so I could log the test runs and check the tune and set fuel pressure and jets and read plugs, all was perfect when done with no need to pull timing or change everyday driving tune that ii race with, If I had to guess I would say low 9s high 8s with 125 shot, but thats just a guess.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

NO the car ran 10.62 bolt/ons only, the car ran 10.16 NA on an easy launch and back peddling with full size battery me at 293 nakid so 306 pounds dressed to race in the cold, track prep sucked bottle removed and the noids, tommyd who does the performance list was their to inspect car each pass, I have never ran the car at the track with nitrous or on a street race, I dialed the kit in on the street with 3 full passes to about half mile letting it shift into fourth, so I could log the test runs and check the tune and set fuel pressure and jets and read plugs, all was perfect when done with no need to pull timing or change everyday driving tune that ii race with, If I had to guess I would say low 9s high 8s with 125 shot, but thats just a guess.
Well then, that is impressive. Do you remember your mod list from those runs?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Drink the Dsteck kool aide, I have never had any water ingestion and drive in big down pours, puddles and snow, simply the vararam is DA in an CAI, that dyno wont replicate. be slow or believe in vararam, read the fast list, bolt/on read the heads and cam also, forget the dyno lets see the track times
I think that that vendors that have something to offer in the way of technical advice don't bother because of responses like yours. He is not trying to sell anything, he's offering actually measured evidence.
This issue is not settled. Just because a lot of people happen to run the Vararam on the fast list, does not mean that it's absolutely the best system, just the most popular. Now if someone that tested often such as yourself ran them back to back, that would be pretty good evidence. But you have not done that. The fact that you are exceptional at running down the quarter mile is not proof that it's the best intake either.
I would not say that I have drank the Dsteck Kool Aid lol, I would say that I would love to hear the evidence and balance that versus the cost and make a decision from there. The fact that Dave is going to test both on my actual car is pretty compelling.
We also have had another member say that even at 185 mph with the Vararam, They are still just below 1.00 MAP, that suggest absolutely no ram air effect.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:05 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Well then, that is impressive. Do you remember your mod list from those runs?
yes bolt/ons 10.62 braile 11 lb battery mt 275x40x17 kooks longtube 1 3/4 headers kooks highflow cats and x pipe 2.5 inch ported fast 90 intake vararam ported throttle body underdrive pully electric waterpump 373 gears 3800 vigilante converter corsa sportscat back 160 high flow stat and cartek fan module and front skinnies passenger seat out, its a fully loaded 2005 with navigation heated seats. 10.16 pass was cartek ported heads cartek specked cam and yank converter 3800PA and all the above bolt/ons and 275x40x17 hoosiers
Old 01-28-2016, 08:18 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I think that that vendors that have something to offer in the way of technical advice don't bother because of responses like yours. He is not trying to sell anything, he's offering actually measured evidence.
This issue is not settled. Just because a lot of people happen to run the Vararam on the fast list, does not mean that it's absolutely the best system, just the most popular. Now if someone that tested often such as yourself ran them back to back, that would be pretty good evidence. But you have not done that. The fact that you are exceptional at running down the quarter mile is not proof that it's the best intake either.
I would not say that I have drank the Dsteck Kool Aid lol, I would say that I would love to hear the evidence and balance that versus the cost and make a decision from there. The fact that Dave is going to test both on my actual car is pretty compelling.
We also have had another member say that even at 185 mph with the Vararam, They are still just below 1.00 MAP, that suggest absolutely no ram air effect.
but a dyno test doesnt do it for me, controlled and same tune with the maff adjusting not a tuner, as long as the passes are done within a 10 ft DA, doesnt even have to be same day, and that was done on a car that didnt spin, so that wasnt a factor, also, it needs the vette air to be closer to equal now thats more money, the reason the vararam works is because you can read the iat drops when you start the car you dont need to get up to speed, so you are feeding cooler air to the fuel mixture sooner, even if you tune for the timing and iat, you cant get the colder are as fast with any other cai, if you got 100 chevy sparks and 10 C6'S run faster does that really mean they aren't faster
Old 01-28-2016, 09:13 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

yes bolt/ons 10.62 braile 11 lb battery mt 275x40x17 kooks longtube 1 3/4 headers kooks highflow cats and x pipe 2.5 inch ported fast 90 intake vararam ported throttle body underdrive pully electric waterpump 373 gears 3800 vigilante converter corsa sportscat back 160 high flow stat and cartek fan module and front skinnies passenger seat out, its a fully loaded 2005 with navigation heated seats. 10.16 pass was cartek ported heads cartek specked cam and yank converter 3800PA and all the above bolt/ons and 275x40x17 hoosiers
I guess my next question would be how different is the 2005 auto gearing? Because the Auto in my Grand Sport is pretty aggressive gearing.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:22 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

I guess my next question would be how different is the 2005 auto gearing? Because the Auto in my Grand Sport is pretty aggressive gearing.
my 4l65 with 373 gears is about the same as your a6 with 256 gears1, 2 and 3 its very close with the advantage to the 4l65 in the 1/4 but not by much it goes back and fourth with the gear i think i have the advantage in first you in second me in third if i remember correctly but could be wrong
Old 01-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

my 4l65 with 373 gears is about the same as your a6 with 256 gears1, 2 and 3 its very close with the advantage to the 4l65 in the 1/4 but not by much it goes back and fourth with the gear i think i have the advantage in first you in second me in third if i remember correctly but could be wrong
I had the gearing for the Auto trans for the Grand Sport the other day. Just went looking for it and got lost in the search. Anyway I think I am going to stick with my AFE dry filter. I just do not think that either of these CAIs can justify the $500 at my power level.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:42 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

I had the gearing for the Auto trans for the Grand Sport the other day. Just went looking for it and got lost in the search. Anyway I think I am going to stick with my AFE dry filter. I just do not think that either of these CAIs can justify the $500 at my power level.
If you read the c6 performance list thread you will see my only mods was a cartek fan module and tune and 160 stat and corsa sports when i put the vararam on and gained 5/10 5mph, find a used one
Old 01-28-2016, 10:01 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

If you read the c6 performance list thread you will see my only mods was a cartek fan module and tune and 160 stat and corsa sports when i put the vararam on and gained 5/10 5mph, find a used one
Going cam and Torque Converter. Any more money will be for S/C.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:54 PM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Well... There's definitely some interesting data in here lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Real world data of Vararam vs Halltech?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Going cam and Torque Converter. Any more money will be for S/C.
if your going charger forget the vararam
Old 01-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Well, you might be able to purchase my brand new Vararam and pre-cut radiator shroud for about half that amount before the week is up.

Even if the airboxes make the same power, I prefer the design of the Halltech personally.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:47 AM
Proud Owner
Racer

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Well, you might be able to purchase my brand new Vararam and pre-cut radiator shroud for about half that amount before the week is up.

Even if the airboxes make the same power, I prefer the design of the Halltech personally.
Let me know.

Quick Reply: Real world data of Vararam vs Halltech?