C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world data of Vararam vs Halltech?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:30 AM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Real world data of Vararam vs Halltech?

Hi guys, looking for real world data/results of people that have switched from Halltech to Vararam and vice versa.

Track times, trap speed, KPA logs? etc.

Reason I ask is because I've been debating on switching to a Vararam from a Halltech MF103.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:59 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

When these questions came up a couple years ago, I did this.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...omparison.html
Maybe it'll help you.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:11 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

The short version, if you are pulling in any of the hot air from the engine bay while on the line, the ECM is going to retard timing until enough air has been pulled through the MAF to register the new cooler air, and the ecm re-adjusts the timing during the run.

So with the Vararam pulling only cold air from the front of the car (instead of any air from the hot engine bay), less initial timing retard on the launch, and the faster run. The down side, you are pulling cold air from low in front of the car, and this increases the chances of hydro locking the motor is you such water into the intake instead (think deep puddle).

Truth be told, GM screwed up the in air intakes on the vets, and should have been trying to pull fresh into the intakes from the back of the hood where it faces the windshield instead. At speed, the pressure wave off the windshield would provide more than enough pressure to air ram the system, and with the opening facing the windshield higher in the car stance, would provide the needed water/air separation instead.

Hence on the older Trans am's, the above reason what way the functioning air scope faced the windshield, instead of the front of the car.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
The short version, if you are pulling in any of the hot air from the engine bay while on the line, the ECM is going to retard timing until enough air has been pulled through the MAF to register the new cooler air, and the ecm re-adjusts the timing during the run.

So with the Vararam pulling only cold air from the front of the car (instead of any air from the hot engine bay), less initial timing retard on the launch, and the faster run. The down side, you are pulling cold air from low in front of the car, and this increases the chances of hydro locking the motor is you such water into the intake instead (think deep puddle).

Truth be told, GM screwed up the in air intakes on the vets, and should have been trying to pull fresh into the intakes from the back of the hood where it faces the windshield instead. At speed, the pressure wave off the windshield would provide more than enough pressure to air ram the system, and with the opening facing the windshield higher in the car stance, would provide the needed water/air separation instead.

Hence on the older Trans am's, the above reason what way the functioning air scope faced the windshield, instead of the front of the car.
Nascar uses that system.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I agree with all about the cold air aspect, but the Halltech has a cover and you can route air to it from the grill area to provide sorta cold air.

You can see in the picture how it seals out under hood air. I agree that cowl induction is the best, but not easy to do on these cars after the fact. I have had a, K&N, Airaid, Vararam and Halltech. The quality of the Halltech and the heat shield is the one I like the best.

Last edited by timd38; 01-26-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:59 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by timd38
I agree with all about the cold air aspect, but the Halltech has a cover and you can route air to it from the grill area to provide sorta cold air.

You can see in the picture how it seals out under hood air. I agree that cowl induction is the best, but not easy to do on these cars after the fact. I have had a, K&N, Airaid, Vararam and Halltech. The quality of the Halltech and the heat shield is the one I like the best.

It also puts the maf forward under that cover. Fit and finish can't be beaten here.

I would still like to try a back to back swap between a vararam and my mf103 at the track, but that is an expensive test.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523

Yes, that was referred to as "Cowl Induction" when the front windshield directs air into an open back portion of the hood.

Also, I remember back when I had a 1978 Camaro Z28 that had a fake hood scoop. The front of the hood scoop had a closed grill. I drilled holes in the grill that allowed fresh cold air into a 780 Holly carburetor on a high rise manifold sitting under the hood scoop. Yeah, the good old days.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 01-26-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:14 PM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
When these questions came up a couple years ago, I did this.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...omparison.html
Maybe it'll help you.
Very informative thread. Interesting that Joe logged his map values and saw no ram air effect.

What did you end up going with?

Thanks for the response guys. Keep them coming!
Old 01-27-2016, 07:27 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with the LG airbox? The price is silly high but the product itself looks amazing.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:58 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

I've tested both from stocking cars to big cube big cam setups. The Vararam is pure marketing hype. The Halltech consistently makes more power.
The following users liked this post:
Orpheuss (05-07-2019)
Old 01-27-2016, 03:55 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by emoFTW
Very informative thread. Interesting that Joe logged his map values and saw no ram air effect.

What did you end up going with?

Thanks for the response guys. Keep them coming!
Vararam

Originally Posted by DSteck
I've tested both from stocking cars to big cube big cam setups. The Vararam is pure marketing hype. The Halltech consistently makes more power.
If that were true, wouldn't you expect the majority of the quickest cars on the performance list to be using it vs the Vararam?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:03 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Other than the "Ram-Air" claims, which I never believed anyway, by design I don't see how the unit is just marketing hype. Do you have data from your testing? I'd be interested to see comparisons.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:25 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Vararam

If that were true, wouldn't you expect the majority of the quickest cars on the performance list to be using it vs the Vararam?
No. What you have is anecdotal evidence. Who is to say... that if they had a calloway or halltech, they wouldn't make the same or better?

Just because someone posts on a corvette forum their fast times...doesn't mean there aren't others out in the world going faster with another brand or even just popping it open and/or cutting shroud and sealing it up like the others homemade style.

Playing devils advocate here as I don't really know whose is better or if there is enough difference between the brands for any of them to make that claim.

Last edited by jbomx363; 01-27-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:54 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

The fit and finish of the vararam is what drew me away from it. I went the Halltech route with beehive and the Vette air scoop for true cold air. I have heads/cam right now and plan to do a 102mm intake manifold/tb combo, another reason I chose to go with Halltech and take advantage of the larger maf read area and larger tb opening.

-jp
Old 01-27-2016, 06:59 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

I never saved anything, but we did pick up over 20whp on a 25X/26X cammed LS7 by ditching the Vararam for a Halltech. Pretty sure the fastest C6Z NA used Halltech if somebody wants to judge by that goofy metric.

Look at the inlet of the Vararam in the bumper. Anybody with engineering background can debunk it quick. It's not designed with laminar flow in mind which is evident by the problems in the MAF signal that's typical of Vararam products. It's also amazingly poor in quality and looks like an afterthought.

Halltech is far superior in every way.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 PM
xstang
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak about the Halltech, but the Vararam made a believer of me. With the Vararam only with a tune I ran 11.7 @121 on street tires.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-121-41-a.html
The following users liked this post:
zinsavage123 (01-01-2024)
Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I never saved anything, but we did pick up over 20whp on a 25X/26X cammed LS7 by ditching the Vararam for a Halltech. Pretty sure the fastest C6Z NA used Halltech if somebody wants to judge by that goofy metric.

Look at the inlet of the Vararam in the bumper. Anybody with engineering background can debunk it quick. It's not designed with laminar flow in mind which is evident by the problems in the MAF signal that's typical of Vararam products. It's also amazingly poor in quality and looks like an afterthought.

Halltech is far superior in every way.
Vararam shows no gain on the dyno

Get notified of new replies

To Real world data of Vararam vs Halltech?

Old 01-27-2016, 09:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

He has no reason to make **** up

And I'd believe his testing long before most "experience" on here

He also never said there was zero gain with the Vararam. He just said he picked up power with the haltech.

Last edited by schpenxel; 01-27-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel

He also never said there was zero gain with the Vararam. He just said he picked up power with the haltech.
well the vararam has the most top 1/4 cars on the ls2 and ls3 list, also on the c6z06 list even though gary2004z06 is number 1, he also has a vette air and is a great driver, testing on the dyno means you have variances, heat soak. we know he has no reason to make up, just not an apples to apples comparison, do a test like I did ,stock intake vs vararam at the track within a 10 ft DA difference, with the difference DSTECK is quoting I would surely go 9s NA
Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by schpenxel

If you talk dyno HP as the basis for comparison, then also be aware you can pick up 5 HP by simply cinching down the straps a couple extra clicks or leaving the hood open.
If dyno HP was a true indication of power, there would be a whole lot more guys running 10's in the 1/4. My last dyno pull read 396 and the next track outing a couple weeks later netted 10.80 @ 126.84.

I'm not saying that there aren't guys running 10's with bolton LS2/3's someplace else that don't post their times on this forum, but all 6 of the cars with 10's on those lists use Vararam CAI's.
Would I swap to a Halltech if I could pick up another .05 second ET? Yes, but only if it happened on a back-to-back test at the track and I didn't have to buy it if there was no gain.

Quick Reply: Real world data of Vararam vs Halltech?