C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thru a Cranfshaft Position Sensor code at the track last night..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 05:09 PM
SoSlow1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Thru a Cranfshaft Position Sensor code at the track last night..

I was in the staging lanes last night at the track and went to pull up in line and car almost didn't start and once it did ran pretty rough. Check engine light was on, tach, tire pressure sensors quit working and traction control system went berserk. I couldn't get to my laptop to get it fired up to see what was going on using HP Tuner so I got out of line and went back to the pits.

Pulled the codes and it showed several misfire codes plus the CPS code. I cleared them and shut car off. Started car back up and everything went to working again and engine cleared up. Decided to call it a night since I had a 1hr and 20 minute drive home. Car ran great going home and drove it today without a problem.

I've run the same blower, cam, converter basically same tune for 3 years without any problems with engine codes. Could this just happen to be a fluke one time deal ? Had the battery tested today just to eliminate a possible voltage problem and its fine.

Just seeing if anyone else had a problem similar to this one..
Thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 10:33 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I would do a CASE relearn since you have hpt.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default maybe

Originally Posted by SoSlow1
I was in the staging lanes last night at the track and went to pull up in line and car almost didn't start and once it did ran pretty rough. Check engine light was on, tach, tire pressure sensors quit working and traction control system went berserk. I couldn't get to my laptop to get it fired up to see what was going on using HP Tuner so I got out of line and went back to the pits.

Pulled the codes and it showed several misfire codes plus the CPS code. I cleared them and shut car off. Started car back up and everything went to working again and engine cleared up. Decided to call it a night since I had a 1hr and 20 minute drive home. Car ran great going home and drove it today without a problem.

I've run the same blower, cam, converter basically same tune for 3 years without any problems with engine codes. Could this just happen to be a fluke one time deal ? Had the battery tested today just to eliminate a possible voltage problem and its fine.

Thanks
CPS harness damaged by header heat
Old 02-08-2016, 03:09 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by SoSlow1

Thanks
If you had trouble starting the car, the CPS code is a symptom of the underlying issue rather than the cause.

I've had issues with very slow starting a few times over the years (bad starter, weak battery, engine issues etc) and quite frequently when the car doesn't start as expected, the PCM will throw a CPS code which is misleading because in every case there was never actually anything wrong with the sensor itself.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:28 PM
SoSlow1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by SEVINN
I would do a CASE relearn since you have hpt.
Thanks for responding I appreciate it..

Originally Posted by irok
CPS harness damaged by header heat
One of the first things I done once I got home and had car on the lift and all looked well..
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 PM
SoSlow1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
If you had trouble starting the car, the CPS code is a symptom of the underlying issue rather than the cause.

I've had issues with very slow starting a few times over the years (bad starter, weak battery, engine issues etc) and quite frequently when the car doesn't start as expected, the PCM will throw a CPS code which is misleading because in every case there was never actually anything wrong with the sensor itself.
Thanks Chris I appreciate the advice. I did take the battery and had it checked again and believe we found the problem. After 3 1/2 years the battery will be replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Thru a Cranfshaft Position Sensor code at the track last night..

Quick Reply: Thru a Cranfshaft Position Sensor code at the track last night..