C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which muffler system with catted headers? No drone. Not too loud. More hp? Good tone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Which muffler system with catted headers? No drone. Not too loud. More hp? Good tone?

Guys, I don't love the way my NPP sounds on my car. It does not have a deep solid V8 sound imo. It seems a small bit tin can like to me.

When it's open at low rpms it's way too loud making my stereo and my phone useless and it flat gives me a headache.

I no longer ever open the NPP up. I do appreciate the way it sounds past 3500 rpm when it always opens as the revs rise and I like the power and the growl in that moment.

Here are the features I'd like to gain going to an aftermarket muffler system:

- a nice tone around town on catted Kooks headers. I'd like to hear it, but not be annoyed by it.
- a nice wail once the rpms get up there. I don't mind the noise at high rpm
- lighter weight would be great
- more power than an open NPP. Is this even possible?
- nice looking tips
- direct bolt on to my Kooks headers.

Guys, what should I be looking at?
Old 02-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

This maybe? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...randsport.html
Old 02-10-2016, 10:33 AM
AaronLS3
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say Corsa sport, or touring if they make it for our cars. I have the corsa extreme and its loud, I have to try to idle in my drive way and shut it off fast if I pull in my neighborhood too late, but the sound is amazing.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Suns you might like my QTP cutouts. I can be stock quiet or deep rumble, my choice. Sometimes I keep the QTP's open on the highway too, they don't drone, they sound good.

Another choice that you perhaps didn't think of. Here's my thread with install write up, pics and video.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-my-c6.html
Old 02-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Suns you might like my QTP cutouts. I can be stock quiet or deep rumble, my choice. Sometimes I keep the QTP's open on the highway too, they don't drone, they sound good.

Another choice that you perhaps didn't think of. Here's my thread with install write up, pics and video.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-my-c6.html
Thanks but I really want to move away from any switches/ weight/ complexity/ and high noise levels. I want something bare bones simple and everyday usable.

Sadly, I liked the way my Hyundai Genesis V6 with a $200 cat back exhaust sounded more than the way my Vette sounds! I want that deep yet very subtle sound at idle, with the wail up top.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:10 PM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had a lot of different brands behind Kooks headers. Borla Stingers very loud, B&B Fusion very loud when fully open, Corsa Sport not to bad and has no drone. The one I am the most pleased with I have on right now Callaway, the same ones they use on the cars they build. I found them to be decent all the way around and they don't rattle the local Police. That's my opinion only, sound is purely subjective to individual taste. Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:05 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Our street catbacks (16495/16670) will sound deep, and keep the volume from the Kooks in check. We have heard of a few people running this setup who say its great for daily driving and still roars when you get on it. The trick with running long tubes is to use a quieter catback so you end up with a manageable volume. Long tubes + loud catback = angry neighbors.

Last edited by Magna_Flow; 02-10-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Magna Flow, have you ever dynoed gains from your muffler system compared to the NPP? Any gains to be had?

What about weight reduction? Any to be had?
Old 02-12-2016, 12:08 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Anything lightweight will drone. My favorite exhaust so far has been B&B prt which has a similar sound to corsa sport. Both are heavy. Borla s-type II might be worth looking into. I have no first hand experience, but they're not supposed to drone and be slightly lighter.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:34 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I want headers also no drone and have a auto
Told auto drone more ?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Mick14
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by skar

I want headers also no drone and have a auto
Told auto drone more ?
Autos do not drone more, it is just that with a manual you can keep it at the rpms that do not drone easier.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:59 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick14
Autos do not drone more, it is just that with a manual you can keep it at the rpms that do not drone easier.
Could use the paddles then. But even corsa said they do drone more .

Last edited by skar; 03-03-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which muffler system with catted headers? No drone. Not too loud. More hp? Good tone?

Quick Reply: Which muffler system with catted headers? No drone. Not too loud. More hp? Good tone?