C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hinson vs LG 1 7/8 headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hinson vs LG 1 7/8 headers

Just wondering buying headers tonight. Found a good deal on eBay.

My question before I spend money lol, is what am I gaining/ losing on going with Hinson over LG headers with xpipe combo??

What are the pros and cons? Besides quality?? Any reasons I should stay away from Hinson? I'm in the market to get either or depending on reasoning. Thanks for feedback.

Any others I'm missing? ARH is a little too much for me so that out of the question.

Platform is 2009 Z06
Old 02-10-2016, 09:48 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by Baby_Matrix
Just wondering buying headers tonight. Found a good deal on eBay.

My question before I spend money lol, is what am I gaining/ losing on going with Hinson over LG headers with xpipe combo??

What are the pros and cons? Besides quality?? Any reasons I should stay away from Hinson? I'm in the market to get either or depending on reasoning. Thanks for feedback.

Any others I'm missing? ARH is a little too much for me so that out of the question.

Platform is 2009 Z06
I helped a friend install some Hinson headers over the weekend and they flew on with no issues other than the supplied o2 extensions being too short. Almost all header systems require a little clearancing of the tunnel to fit and these were no different however.

I'd buy new for the after sale support if you need it.

I don't have any experience with LGs but the Hinsons were good. We did have to break the o2 wires out of the harness though, they would be better off supplying 30" extensions.

Last edited by sevinn; 02-10-2016 at 09:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C6-Sage (02-13-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVINN
I helped a friend install some Hinson headers over the weekend and they flew on with no issues other than the supplied o2 extensions being too short. Almost all header systems require a little clearancing of the tunnel to fit and these were no different however.

I'd buy new for the after sale support if you need it.

I don't have any experience with LGs but the Hinsons were good. We did have to break the o2 wires out of the harness though, they would be better off supplying 30" extensions.
When you install headers you only connect the front o2 sensor and disable rears so the extensions were for the front ones.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:54 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by xBoostx
When you install headers you only connect the front o2 sensor and disable rears so the extensions were for the front ones.
Right, and we had to cut the tape on the wire harness to get them to reach. The supplied extensions were about 5" too short.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:46 AM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Right, and we had to cut the tape on the wire harness to get them to reach. The supplied extensions were about 5" too short.

so what did you do to fix the problem? or you never did due to them being short? do they not come with extensions?
Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

so what did you do to fix the problem? or you never did due to them being short? do they not come with extensions?
We just cut the electrical tape off of the wires for the front o2s to get enough slack to bring the connectors down. Really not a big deal, but longer extensions would have been plug and play.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:10 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I have the LG Super Pro 1 7/8" with their high flow cats, and have had them about 2 years, and have no complaints. Sorry, can't compare to Hinsons though.

I have the dry sump setup, so they did have to take the oil lines loose to install them, but the Hinson are probably the same way.

I like the raspy sound of the cats, and they also give you straight pipe sections to replace the cats, if you later want to do it.

No issues with O@ sensors, their extensions worked fine.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

As SEVINN stated.........all header installs will require some clearance manipulation/modification for a safe fit.

I had major issues with LG's on my car (2013 GS A6). I actually discarded the x-pipe because it would not line up correctly (due to incorrect bends for a 2013 car) which caused a leak at the axle connection. Anthony sent me a replacement which had the same issue. Anthony then told me they could rectify the issue if they had my car onsite. I am currently running their 1.75 Street Series headers into my own custom exhaust.

IMHO: Save yourself some coin (and headaches) and get the Hinson units........1 7/8" for your car!

Last edited by Speedforhire; 02-11-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Baby_Matrix (02-12-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Biggraz
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't speak for the headers because they weren't made for my car yet (they might be available now I don't know) but, I ordered there shifter and it's a very good quality product, and the company is very professional I was very happy with Hinson.

Last edited by Biggraz; 02-11-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Baby_Matrix (02-12-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 11:48 AM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pipes are pipes. All will be similar HP gains.

Price wins IMO. (which is why I chose OBX and because Hinsons doesn't have hiflow cats)

Be sure and get AT LEAST 27" extensions, 30" are better. Easier to tie wrap if a little long than stretching or like SEVINN had to do, untape.

Last edited by jbomx363; 02-11-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:10 AM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

well since it sounds like theres really not much difference between the pipes i guess the better choice would be to go with the hinson product? which is what i was leaning towards. I assume since they are new also they may be more refined learning from others mistakes? I could be wrong tho.... but I will get the longer extensions if they offer them. Thank you

I also haven't heard of OBX except on eBay, i don't really know much about them? are they any good?

and last question...what exactly do high flow cats do? I've been told to get headers with no cats i guess because they allow you to have the most gains..?? I'm guessing you get high flow cats so you can pass emissions in your state? i live in oklahoma/kansas. they're emissions are pretty much non existent lol...if thats why your getting high flow cats.

sorry for the newbie questions...I'm still learning everyday...
Old 02-12-2016, 02:11 AM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
As SEVINN stated.........all header installs will require some clearance manipulation/modification for a safe fit.

I had major issues with LG's on my car (2013 GS A6). I actually discarded the x-pipe because it would not line up correctly (due to incorrect bends for a 2013 car) which caused a leak at the axle connection. Anthony sent me a replacement which had the same issue. Anthony then told me they could rectify the issue if they had my car onsite. I am currently running their 1.75 Street Series headers into my own custom exhaust.

IMHO: Save yourself some coin (and headaches) and get the Hinson units........1 7/8" for your car!

i think I will my man. just because you have LG, and you don't think Im missing much. thanks for your opinion
Old 02-12-2016, 02:13 AM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

We just cut the electrical tape off of the wires for the front o2s to get enough slack to bring the connectors down. Really not a big deal, but longer extensions would have been plug and play.
did they give you the option to have longer extensions?
Old 02-12-2016, 07:32 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

i think I will my man. just because you have LG, and you don't think Im missing much. thanks for your opinion
OP, since you have a Z06, it should be rare that you will have any clearance issues on the install, since it has a 3" exhaust anyway, for any brand of 1 7/8" headers. For my GS, I went from 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch, and it was minimal issues for my 2011 dry sump manual, but they did have to bend a little of the firewall out of the way. That would have been needed for any brand in the larger size on the LS3, most likely.

But I do agree with SEVINN, of all of the major brands, it is not much difference in performance between them.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:39 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

did they give you the option to have longer extensions?
They weren't mine so I have no idea. I'm sure if my friend brought it up to them he would have been taken care of.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:00 AM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

well since it sounds like theres really not much difference between the pipes i guess the better choice would be to go with the hinson product? which is what i was leaning towards. I assume since they are new also they may be more refined learning from others mistakes? I could be wrong tho.... but I will get the longer extensions if they offer them. Thank you

I also haven't heard of OBX except on eBay, i don't really know much about them? are they any good?

and last question...what exactly do high flow cats do? I've been told to get headers with no cats i guess because they allow you to have the most gains..?? I'm guessing you get high flow cats so you can pass emissions in your state? i live in oklahoma/kansas. they're emissions are pretty much non existent lol...if thats why your getting high flow cats.

sorry for the newbie questions...I'm still learning everyday...
Do a search on obx headers and you'll get more info (mostly because they are Chinese made) than you asked for.

Basically, they are a copy of a well known brand and more people get upset about that than how they perform, sound, and install. You'll get many super happy, some that are happy, some that are not so happy. And you'll get the only made in the USA crowd all riled up.

I'm in the super happy camp with the OBX. Saved 65% over other brands too. I did have to buy O2 extensions and I bought 2 band clamps for the rear axle hookup. The savings of those dollars are going to the cam swap now.

As far as why cats....emissions mainly, resale if someone needs cats , they are on there for not much more $$, and the "smell" factor. Although, I got the cats for that reason, I still have a little smell when idling at a stop light.

You will need someone to tune out the rear O2's as you won't be using those, or you will have an engine code pop up.

Get notified of new replies

To Hinson vs LG 1 7/8 headers

Quick Reply: Hinson vs LG 1 7/8 headers