C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You Keep Your Car From Going Sieways In Low Gears?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:12 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
That video has NOTHING to do with what you are talking about. Although I dont really think you know what you are talking about either so I guess the video makes sense.
When the bushing is man handle around like it shows in the video you don't think it will make changes from camber and toe settings?

If that condition can be prevented do not think it can improve traction, ride and vehicle control?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:16 PM
BSPC608
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-bushings.html
I replaced my bushings though it's not the option you want to pursue. What is your "trick"?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:38 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
When the bushing is man handle around like it shows in the video you don't think it will make changes from camber and toe settings?

If that condition can be prevented do not think it can improve traction, ride and vehicle control?
You keep talking about tire spin in lower gears and how to keep from spinning the tires while accelerating. Now you want to know about bushing deflection ON A RACE TRACK when tires ARENT SPINNING. Which is it?

THAT VIDEO shows what happens to bushings on a race track when they are loaded via a tire that is sticking to the pavement during turns. When you lose traction the bushing basically unloads as the tire can move about and do what it wants. So NO putting stiffer bushings in your suspension to control control arm movement will do NOTHING to help put down 500+ whp in a straight line... ESPECIALLY with your admitted driving style of "smash the pedal and hope for the best" instead of LEARNING TO DRIVE THE CAR.

If control arm bushings were the "secret" answer to traction in 500+ whp Corvettes there would be a HUGE CRAZY market for them... Guess what? There isnt. Who makes control arm bushings? 4 companies, MAYBE 5?

The answer to your question has been stated, numerous times. get some sticky tires and LEARN TO DRIVE THE CAR.

Last edited by rjacobs; 04-18-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:39 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BSPC608
I replaced my bushings though it's not the option you want to pursue. What is your "trick"?
Its a secret...so secret even HE doesnt know what it is!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:22 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Here's the 5/16 /18 tap used note it has a front guide necessary to go back in straight with out messing up the new threads got to drill true the bushing ones inserted to clear the way for the bolt. From Loews hardware. $7 including the drill bit comes in a package.

Note bottom head bolt on the back of the forward arm makes room to clear the cradle, that's the arm where camber is adjusted.

The tap is again ran true to clear the extra rubber after the drill bit, here's where the front guide on the tap helps to protect from messing up the new threads. Blue threadlocker is used to keep the bolts from backing out. Note the wall thickness on the center pin on the aFe kit used here is pretty stout.

5/16 X 18 tpi X 3/4 long bolts are used the front is somewhat rounded and smoothed to make gentle contact with the pin as possible with a generous dose of silicon grease.

Note front and rear bushings are different this one controls thrust. The bolts are kept back from the pin about .025 to allow free movement and some play but when crunch time comes bolts will meet the center pin to control crush and keep geometry in check, the pin is free to rotate inside the bushing to not impede it's rotation and free movement. Four bolts per bushing makes sure is going to remain where it should be at or near to the center.

A look at the threads the thickness of the control arm bushing housing is about 1/4 or better.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

hahahaha, im ****ing speechless... I dont even know what to say....

you are attempting to control control arm movement by use of limiting screws that you have drilled and tapped into the control arm and through the bushings so when the bushing compresses the cap head screw hits the bolt running through the bushing...

Good luck...
Old 04-18-2016, 11:59 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

You keep talking about tire spin in lower gears and how to keep from spinning the tires while accelerating. Now you want to know about bushing deflection ON A RACE TRACK when tires ARENT SPINNING. Which is it?

THAT VIDEO shows what happens to bushings on a race track when they are loaded via a tire that is sticking to the pavement during turns. When you lose traction the bushing basically unloads as the tire can move about and do what it wants. So NO putting stiffer bushings in your suspension to control control arm movement will do NOTHING to help put down 500+ whp in a straight line... ESPECIALLY with your admitted driving style of "smash the pedal and hope for the best" instead of LEARNING TO DRIVE THE CAR.

If control arm bushings were the "secret" answer to traction in 500+ whp Corvettes there would be a HUGE CRAZY market for them... Guess what? There isnt. Who makes control arm bushings? 4 companies, MAYBE 5?

The answer to your question has been stated, numerous times. get some sticky tires and LEARN TO DRIVE THE CAR.
The answer to a quiet ride with the desired level of control i can live with is not there so yes I agree there's nothing to craze about.

The answer to the control arm excursion limitation with a quiet ride exits for the 04 / 06 gto made by Whiteline and is very simple instead of a 1/2 inch deep bushing thickness a 1/16 too bad we haven't got the option will definitely save me all these work and will send me scrambling after them, and as soon as the first testimony is out?

Let's just hope one the suppliers come up with it.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:08 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

hahahaha, im ****ing speechless... I dont even know what to say....

you are attempting to control control arm movement by use of limiting screws that you have drilled and tapped into the control arm and through the bushings so when the bushing compresses the cap head screw hits the bolt running through the bushing...

Good luck...
No sir the bolt will contain excursion of the bushing by contacting the pin the bolt goes true not the bolt itself.

Not attempting to control control arm movement but rather the bushing crush.

It works for me.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:11 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

thats what I meant, the cross pin that then bolts to the frame.

And yes you ARE attempting to control the control arm movement by limiting bushing flex.

I see all kinds of issues and possible hilarity with this mod.

You know how the car will react when you get bushing flex followed by a HARD, ABRUPT stop? My guess is you wont like it and it might be nasty and cause the car to do really bad things.

This is going to do absolutely NOTHING and may in fact cause **** to break and you to further damage your car. Please video your "testing" of this "mod"...
Old 04-19-2016, 12:24 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

The control arm moves by rotating the pin inside the bushing the bushing itself does not rotate and is important to keep the pin free to rotate and well respected here.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:40 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

yup well aware of how a control arm and bushing move. Im talking the lateral movement that you are trying to stop/limit.

So going down the road, around a turn and the bushing starts to flex(rate of flex might be VERY high) and then BAM it hits your home made compression stop and upsets the handling of the car, maybe to the point that the rear end steps out, at high speed, in a corner and off the road you go. There is a reason that people put higher durometer bushings in OR eliminate the bushings all together(I wouldnt recommend this for anything, but a track car). Its predictability through the range of motion. IMO you dont want anything in your suspension to have sudden stops as it can throw things out of balance.

How the **** did we get here from your initial question of "how do I keep from spinning in low gears".

Anyway, im out, this thread has gone to the ridiculous side of stupid.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:02 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

yup well aware of how a control arm and bushing move. Im talking the lateral movement that you are trying to stop/limit.

So going down the road, around a turn and the bushing starts to flex(rate of flex might be VERY high) and then BAM it hits your home made compression stop and upsets the handling of the car, maybe to the point that the rear end steps out, at high speed, in a corner and off the road you go. There is a reason that people put higher durometer bushings in OR eliminate the bushings all together(I wouldnt recommend this for anything, but a track car). Its predictability through the range of motion. IMO you dont want anything in your suspension to have sudden stops as it can throw things out of balance.

How the **** did we get here from your initial question of "how do I keep from spinning in low gears".

Anyway, im out, this thread has gone to the ridiculous side of stupid.
Thanks Jacob
Old 04-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Unsubscribed as of now
NSF
Old 04-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The answer really is the alignment, particularly in the rear. The correct (as in aggressive and racy) castor, camber, and tow will make the car track straight and true even while spinning.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 04-19-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Please video your "testing" of this "mod"...

Found this

Last edited by Chiselchst; 04-19-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:11 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Sure will post a video AND then will ask to go and do the same without a passenger.

Vid avobe won't open.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:29 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Video works thanks Chiselchst.

Must posts on here charge me with lack of driving skills haha I say skill driver drive skill driver car, cars that are made to handle will outperform even to an average driver.

Different bushings require different method of pinning 8 control arms only two have one piece bushings not all been said or shown here not very enthuse to continue.

Get notified of new replies

To How Do You Keep Your Car From Going Sieways In Low Gears?...

Old 04-20-2016, 09:22 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

When it happens to me , usually in 2nd gear. I do 1 of 2 things.

1 - keep your foot out of the gas

2 - Turn your steering wheel in the direction your *** is going.

3 - buy a Honda.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ls1121
When it happens to me , usually in 2nd gear. I do 1 of 2 things.

1 - keep your foot out of the gas

2 - Turn your steering wheel in the direction your *** is going.

3 - buy a Honda.
Means this thread is not for everybody must are fine as is and is perfectly understandable I leave a car ahead in just first gear point across and I'm well known for this.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:57 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

What the hell is going on here?

Quick Reply: How Do You Keep Your Car From Going Sieways In Low Gears?...