C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak... out of ideas, looking for suggestions from the pro's.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:56 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 396 Likes on 361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Have you done a compression and leak down test?
Compression is good. Havent done a leakdown but I see no sign and have no reason to believe its anything to do with the actual cylinder or valves.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:57 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by extrapilot
You think it's at the valve cover lower rail area? You could slip the header off and use a air nozzle gun and blow from the outside and look for bubbles inside the rail area. If you suspect the exhaust port, do the same and inject air in the port, again look for bubbling through the oil on the inside. Were the heads ported to much?
My next plan of attack is to remove the header, pour oil in the lower area of the head, and hope to see where its coming from with one of those little cameras. There is no pressure up there, so it has to be just seeping through somewhere.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Compression is good. Havent done a leakdown but I see no sign and have no reason to believe its anything to do with the actual cylinder or valves.
I am thinking cracked cylinder head or blown head gasket. I've never seen oil leak out of a exhaust port, doesn't mean it can't happen but I'd think it would burn up well before it could leak.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:34 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I am thinking cracked cylinder head or blown head gasket. I've never seen oil leak out of a exhaust port, doesn't mean it can't happen but I'd think it would burn up well before it could leak.
I am also starting to think crack. It isn't the head gasket. The only oil passages are at the end of the heads, and this is more to the center.

To add to that.... there is no oil where the head meets the block.. I have run my finger there 100 times now looking... nothing at all.

Last edited by realcanuk; 04-20-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

My next plan of attack is to remove the header, pour oil in the lower area of the head, and hope to see where its coming from with one of those little cameras. There is no pressure up there, so it has to be just seeping through somewhere.

I mentioned using air pressure because cold, cracks may not be evident until the head has warmed, and the oil gets thinner, easier to seep through.

Last edited by extrapilot; 04-20-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:47 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I mentioned using air because cold, cracks may not be evident until the head has warmed, and the oil gets thinner, easier to seep through.
Will try that for sure if I don't see anything with oil. It starts almost right away after starting the car from cold....... I dunno... will see.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:28 PM
(hmmm)
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It starts almost right away after starting the car from cold.......
That makes me think that the leak's source is somehow related to the oil passageways where the oil is under pressure.
Is it possible that a hole was drilled (or drilled deeper) for any headwork or headers?
Could you pull the headers off about 1/4" to 1/2", run the engine and see if the oil truly comes from the interior of the exhaust port? Sounds like it should be quite evident.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:40 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by (hmmm)
That makes me think that the leak's source is somehow related to the oil passageways where the oil is under pressure.
Is it possible that a hole was drilled (or drilled deeper) for any headwork or headers?
Could you pull the headers off about 1/4" to 1/2", run the engine and see if the oil truly comes from the interior of the exhaust port? Sounds like it should be quite evident.
That's the plan when have some time. Pull the header and try to see what's up. I already checked the adjacent header bolts and nothing there. There is no oil pressure in the heads. Oil comes up the pushrods and then just drains back down. The bolts on the intake rockers go through to the ports (like all cnc'd heads) but the exhaust bolts are blind.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:33 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 463 Likes on 331 Posts

Check the oil cooler, or block off plate drivers side of the block above the oil filter
Old 04-21-2016, 08:14 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Check the oil cooler, or block off plate drivers side of the block above the oil filter
Trust me. Checked, double and triple checked. There are no leaks to be found. Will have answers Monday I hope when I pull the header.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:54 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

That's the valve cover don't go desasemble nothing just yet I know you said it isn't but just give this a try! take a paper towel and wipe the area just below the valve cover rail where the oil is falling to the header pipe see if comes out wet.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:00 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by xBoostx
That's the valve cover don't go desasemble nothing just yet I know you said it isn't but just give this a try! take a paper towel and wipe the area just below the valve cover rail where the oil is falling to the header pipe see if comes out wet.
Appreciate the suggestion, but that has been done many times as well as the valve cover gaskets changed with no change in the leak. Trust me, it's not the valve covers.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:28 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

There's no presurised oil anywhere in the head and a bad head gasket makes the engine overheat if not overheating your head gasket is must likely not the culprit.

One thing I know oil is coming from somewhere, check your spark plus see if one near by is lose.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:31 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by xBoostx
There's no presurised oil anywhere in the head and a bad head gasket makes the engine overheat if not overheating your head gasket is must likely not the culprit.

One thing I know oil is coming from somewhere, check your spark plus see if one near by is lose.
Yes... I don't suspect the head gasket as the oil is above it anyways. Spark plugs have been checked. I will know more Monday. I suspect a possible cracked head, as I am out of other options until I remove the header and check further.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:49 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Realcanuk, did you figure it out yet?
Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Realcanuk, did you figure it out yet?
Forgot to update this....thanks for asking.

Oil was definitely coming from inside the port.
Problem seems to be that some valve seals just don't want to stay seated. WCCH says on some of the earlier heads like mine the guides are very smooth on the outside so on their recommendation we basically "knurled" the guides a bit. The seals went on tighter and hopefully stay down. So far so good, although I wont really know if its leaking a bit because I used a different header gasket that wont allow the oil through.
I need to get the guides changed, but I want to try and get through the short summer season. I will send the heads out next winter, when the car just sits anyways.

The odd thing it is is only a few seals that wont stay seated, although all the guides measure perfectly to spec on the outside diameter.

Just one of those weird things we have to deal with I guess.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

At least it's figured out

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak... out of ideas, looking for suggestions from the pro's.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:06 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by schpenxel
At least it's figured out
Yup... been driving it for a week with no issues now. I wish I had realized what the problem was at the end of last summer, when I noticed it first. Would have done the guides over this winter.

As pissed as I was at this issue, I still realize that I have way less issues than most do, so I did something right. LOL
Old 05-05-2016, 09:09 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Forgot to update this....thanks for asking.

Oil was definitely coming from inside the port.
Problem seems to be that some valve seals just don't want to stay seated. WCCH says on some of the earlier heads like mine the guides are very smooth on the outside so on their recommendation we basically "knurled" the guides a bit. The seals went on tighter and hopefully stay down. So far so good, although I wont really know if its leaking a bit because I used a different header gasket that wont allow the oil through.
I need to get the guides changed, but I want to try and get through the short summer season. I will send the heads out next winter, when the car just sits anyways.

The odd thing it is is only a few seals that wont stay seated, although all the guides measure perfectly to spec on the outside diameter.

Just one of those weird things we have to deal with I guess.
Thanks for the update.
I think some others have had similar issues like yours as I have read that some found parts of there seals in the bottom of the oil pan. He found out when doing a oil change.....
Old 05-05-2016, 09:09 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah, at least you can still drive it.. that would really suck for it to go down during the short summer up there

And I'm assuming it's not billowing smoke, so probably not a huge deal for a summer. And it shouldn't be too bad to fix come winter

Quick Reply: Oil leak... out of ideas, looking for suggestions from the pro's.