C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Z06 will not start

Old 04-29-2016, 01:52 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestronix
I honestly think you have a ground issue. As low as your mileage is, I doubt that the starter has already died.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:04 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

The inspector did his check and was reaching under the hood at the front on the passenger side moving wires away from the frame.
This would be the area I would recommend to look at again. I know you said that you did, but look to see if there is a ground wire coming off the harness, front to back of the frame area. Also any connectors that could be not fully connected/seated or signs of corrosion where mister inspector was tugging at.
I would imagine that the car had been stored most of it's life in a garage, and depending on the conditions like high humidity could play havoc on electrical connectors.

Last edited by extrapilot; 04-29-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Jake5670
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Easiest way to get to the solenoid is to take out the passenger exhaust manifold bolts, remove the bolts that connect the cat pipe to the x-pipe, then you can move the exhaust manifold out of the way enough to get to the top of the starter which is where the solenoid resides.

Did you check that ground on the passenger side under the fuse block?
I tried to find that one while I was under the car and could not see it. I will check again tonight trying to reach it from topside. Thank you
Old 04-29-2016, 04:26 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

One could try to move and wiggle wires around in the suspected area, like around the fuse box, starter harness, where the inspector was fiddling and while doing this have someone inside the car keep trying to start the car. Got to be something loose or a poor connection some where.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Jake5670
Racer

Originally Posted by extrapilot
This would be the area I would recommend to look at again. I know you said that you did, but look to see if there is a ground wire coming off the harness, front to back of the frame area. Also any connectors that could be not fully connected/seated or signs of corrosion where mister inspector was tugging at.
I would imagine that the car had been stored most of it's life in a garage, and depending on the conditions like high humidity could play havoc on electrical connectors.
I agree. I bought the 2011 service manual from helms and it is being delivered today. I will check the grounds...should be able to find the gremlin soon.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:48 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

One thing I just remembered.

Some have also mentioned that the cabling going to the BCM, under the passenger floor board, may also have a loose connection.

Could also be the relay for the ECM (relay 43 or 44) in the under hood fuse panel. You could try to swap that relay with the one from the rear defroster to see if that works.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Jake5670
Racer

Originally Posted by erick_e
One thing I just remembered.

Some have also mentioned that the cabling going to the BCM, under the passenger floor board, may also have a loose connection.

Could also be the relay for the ECM (relay 43 or 44) in the under hood fuse panel. You could try to swap that relay with the one from the rear defroster to see if that works.
I appreciate it. I did do the ECM relay swap already but with the wiper relay. I looked at the fuse box under the floor board but did not mess with the ones in the middle where the bolt is holding a cover over the two in the middle. It looked secure as the bolt was not loose. I can taje another look at it for good measure. Thank you
Old 04-29-2016, 05:44 PM
01Z06 Black
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The starter solenoid needs 12 volts to energize and enable the starter motor. The wiring diagram for the start circuit and a volt meter would be very helpful in locating the problem. Maybe someone on the forum would have the diagram or you can go to Alldata.com and get one.

Also, if you have a DVM, check for continuity from the negative side of the battery to the engine block, you should read less than 1 ohm resistance. This should verify that the engine has a good path to ground. If the ground is good then check for 12 volts at the start relay and work your way to the starter solenoid, until you find where you lost the 12 volts.

Last edited by 01Z06 Black; 04-29-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Jake5670
Racer

Originally Posted by 01Z06 Black
The starter solenoid needs 12 volts to energize and enable the starter motor. The wiring diagram for the start circuit and a volt meter would be very helpful in locating the problem. Maybe someone on the forum would have the diagram or you can go to Alldata.com and get one.

Also, if you have a DVM, check for continuity from the negative side of the battery to the engine block, you should read less than 1 ohm resistance. This should verify that the engine has a good path to ground. If the ground is good then check for 12 volts at the start relay and work your way to the starter solenoid, until you find where you lost the 12 volts.
I appreciate it. I checked the grounds last night and today including G104 and this did not resolve my problem. I also took sanding paper and cleaned the battery cable terminal connectors and the battery terminals. I will need to get a better look at the starter solenoid and see how it's connections are.

Thank you everyone!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Jake5670
Racer

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
I am going to look at G303 ground Monday. I have looked at all the easy to find grounds so far under the hood. According to my Helms 2011 Corvette shop manual page 9-476 the negative terminal goes to ground G303. From what I have seen so far it is on the passenger side close to the B pillar. I will follow their starting and charging schematic and check off each segment as I go. Thank you!

Last edited by Jake5670; 05-01-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:08 AM
RWE 427
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake5670
I am going to look at G303 ground Monday. I have looked at all the easy to find grounds so far under the hood. According to my Helms 2011 Corvette shop manual page 9-476 the negative terminal goes to ground G303. From what I have seen so far it is on the passenger side close to the B pillar. I will follow their starting and charging schematic and check off each segment as I go. Thank you!

If you find G303 can you let us know exactly where its located.

Good luck getting your problem fixed
Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 PM
jamestronix
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RWE 427
If you find G303 can you let us know exactly where its located.

Good luck getting your problem fixed

Here are 2 useful threads on ground locatons

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...tte-Grounds?s=

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...locations.html
Old 05-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Jake5670
Racer

Hello folks, I tried all the different ways I could to troubleshoot the issue I was having with my car and I ended up taking it down to my Chevy dealer today. I scheduled a visit with them and had the car towed down there. It ended up that the fuse box under the hood itself was having a problem grounding. There are four bolts that hold the fuse box in place that are lined up right in the middle from the windshield side of the fuse box on toward the front bumper. The one nearest the windshield was loose and caused the grounding issue. I am glad they found the problem because I never thought to check those bolts. I checked all of the grounds that were identified here (G104) and in my service manual that I could get to.

Thank you everyone for your help... especially my Chevy dealer!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:42 PM
RWE 427
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake5670
Hello folks, I tried all the different ways I could to troubleshoot the issue I was having with my car and I ended up taking it down to my Chevy dealer today. I scheduled a visit with them and had the car towed down there. It ended up that the fuse box under the hood itself was having a problem grounding. There are four bolts that hold the fuse box in place that are lined up right in the middle from the windshield side of the fuse box on toward the front bumper. The one nearest the windshield was loose and caused the grounding issue. I am glad they found the problem because I never thought to check those bolts. I checked all of the grounds that were identified here (G104) and in my service manual that I could get to.

Thank you everyone for your help... especially my Chevy dealer!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:38 PM
03sixspeed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the headlamp recall been done on your car yet. The dealer will have modified the fuse box under the hood if the recall has been done. Could be related. The recall has been done recently on my 2011 ZR1 & today the car would not start or take a jump start. I have the battery out of the car charging & will install & try on Monday. The battery on mine is 5 years old so may be ready for a new one. Good luck with your car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Z06 will not start