C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer blew my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:38 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Don't walk.
Run
Plenty f cars out their for sale.
dont gamble.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Rjhctrapp (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 07:43 PM
beamg5
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by zrracer
Don't walk.
Run
Plenty f cars out their for sale.
dont gamble.
Good luck.
"ZRRacer"...........you took the words right out of my mouth. Run before you're "in" any deeper !!

Gary
Rjhctrapp (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

We all have irrational fears, yours are no different. But you do have them---such as, can the car be fixed, will the value go down, etc.?

The fact is, the car can be repaired even if the only thing left was a steering wheel! But, as at least one poster said, you will think about it every time you go out to the car.

The other fact is you think this is the go-to Corvette dealer in town; I say it is not the one to go to, along with several others who say the same.

There are lots of cars out there that will match what you want; I'm with the "go find it" voices. Again. Get some compensation beyond the full value/return of your money spent for the new search you will now have to do.

Period.
Rjhctrapp (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:07 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd walk. IMO yes it will devalue your car. There are plenty more low mileage GS cars that haven't had their motors puked. If you absolutely cannot live without this car then I would get a new engine and a decent price reduction. It's only a car, don't let emotion cloud a good business decision.
Rjhctrapp (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Void the sale and walk away.

Being what they did, not only does the motor have to be replaced, but all the cooler lines and coolers as well (can not just flush the crap out of them).

Also to add, when they pulled the cover off the valve cover, they snapped the plastic locks off the valve cover pieces (its not a oil filler cap), so not only metal parts in the cooler and cooler lines from when they hydro locked the motor with the bottom of the pistons slapping in oil , but now plastic pieces as well.

Bluntly put, the Service history report when they replace the motor, cooler and cooler line is going to read like a nightmare when you go to sell the car, and going to take a huge, huge hit on is resale value.

And trust me, if a dealer did this with a vet that someone owned, they would be writing a check for the full resale value of the car to buy it from the owner isntead. The reason, when someone buys a vet, the first thing they need to look at is the Service history to see what repairs where made, and if it a nightmare/lemon law car that they are getting yourself into to begin with.

So even with a new motor, coolers and cooler lines, the Service history on the car with such repairs, greatly depreciates it value to being with.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
??? (05-26-2016), Rjhctrapp (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 12:22 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
Wait and see what the Gm dealer says, if they want to repair, run fast, if they say a crate engine, sure i would do it, the car sounds mint and is what you searched for. i would suggest putting the preasure on the Dog dealer, to let the Gm shop do the swap, as they KNOW what they are doing.
gl
I totally agree. I have been searching too. There's a lot of these out there but, it seems like you find them two ways, either low miles and meticulously maintained and pampered and expensive or mid to high miles and beat to sh#t. This car I found by accident. Stopped in to use the rest room and maybe kick the tire of a hellcat, but when I walked up and saw this thing starin back at me, I was on it. 21,000 miles, complete car fax handed to me, price was fair and when I was trying to think of an excuse why I couldn't, the salesman, (Jim who is an awesome person btw) just kept coming back with a lower price and payment. This was one of those opportunities you know will never happen again. Roy Robinson has had a 2012 100th anniversary edition Z06 for almost a year. Every time I would go look at vettes, it would be there, I finally got a salesman and found out the price, 9,xxx miles, 3LZ, $60,000. They would go down to $59,5 and that's the lowest. Obviously they over paid for it and it will sit, with miss matched tires. Lol My GS is my one opportunity I couldn't pass up.$38,500 is what I got it for.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by Dano523
Void the sale and walk away.

Being what they did, not only does the motor have to be replaced, but all the cooler lines and coolers as well (can not just flush the crap out of them).

Also to add, when they pulled the cover off the valve cover, they snapped the plastic locks off the valve cover pieces (its not a oil filler cap), so not only metal parts in the cooler and cooler lines from when they hydro locked the motor with the bottom of the pistons slapping in oil , but now plastic pieces as well.

Bluntly put, the Service history report when they replace the motor, cooler and cooler line is going to read like a nightmare when you go to sell the car, and going to take a huge, huge hit on is resale value.

And trust me, if a dealer did this with a vet that someone owned, they would be writing a check for the full resale value of the car to buy it from the owner isntead. The reason, when someone buys a vet, the first thing they need to look at is the Service history to see what repairs where made, and if it a nightmare/lemon law car that they are getting yourself into to begin with.

So even with a new motor, coolers and cooler lines, the Service history on the car with such repairs, greatly depreciates it value to being with.

I stopped in today to see about a loaner car. Yesterday I was in no mood to talk about anything. Jim told me the owner of the dealerships, which he owns a few so not a small time chump, is very upset this happened and wants to make it right. So to me, making it right is doing what is right and replacing everything that should be replaced. Coolers, hoses, whatever could cause future problems. If he doesn't, I've decided and my wife agrees, we walk, period! No discussion, no nothing! I will take my money somewhere else! I will stand by that.

Last edited by Rjhctrapp; 05-02-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:37 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Like others have said, void the sale and walk away. There are way too many garage queen Vettes out there. It may take some time but you can easily find a replacement.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjhctrapp
I stopped in today to see about a loaner car. Yesterday I was in no mood to talk about anything. Jim told me the owner of the dealerships, which he owns a few so not a small time chump, is very upset this happened and wants to make it right. So to me, making it right is doing what is right and replacing everything that should be replaced. Coolers, hoses, whatever could cause future problems. If he doesn't, I've decided and my wife agrees, we walk, period! No discussion, no nothing! I will take my money somewhere else! I will stand by that.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

There is no making it right, short of voiding the sale so you can walk away from the sale.

When you go to sell the car, someone is going to pull the service history of the car, and it's going to be a nightmare to depreciate the resale value with all the parts that had to be replaced when the engine was blown. Hell, even with GM dealer doing all the work, you can still end up with a lemon after the repairs are completed (just too many items have to be pulled and put back in to complete the needed repairs).

Bluntly put, when you are shopping for a Vet, you want one bone stock, and one with a clean service history report. On the service history, you will see the normal checks, and even recalls being completed, but when it goes deeper than this, the resale price of the Vet starts dropping like a rock isntead. A/C problems and they had to pull the dash to make repairs, resale price starts dropping. Blown motor, run away from the car, since the needed repairs are extensive, and just too many items that could have been reassembly incorrectly when everything was put back together.

Bluntly, even with all the work done correctly, due to the service history on the car when completed for a replacement motor, the car just took a $10K hit in resale value (and still need to find someone that will buy the car with such service history to begin with).

So as noted, walk away from the sale/car, and go find another one with a clean service history instead; leaving the dealer to find someone to sell the car with a checkered service history instead.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:20 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree, return the car. It will never be the same after the engine swap. There are plenty of babied late model corvettes for sale.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Husker C6
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

This is just my 2 cents but I am getting the impression you are to emotionally attached to this car. It is just a car, of which thousands were made. There are a lot of them for sale in that price range and actually for a 2010 that's really not that cheap. I know you believe it is your dream car but I can almost guarantee another one will come along. Heck if you're like me 2 weeks after owning it you will see another you like even better. I also think if you keep it your always going to be waiting for the next bad thing to happen, that lingering doubt will always be there. I would walk away and keep on looking. Only you can make the decision and like I said this is just my opinion. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

So I just received a call from the service manager at the Dodge dealer, the car is now up at a Chevy dealer. The owner instructed the Chevy service manager to replace engine and any and all parts needed to include what you guys said, cooler, lines, clutch, anything. 2 year 50.000 mile warranty. I searched last night for a replacement C6 grand sport of any year and 90% were automatics, a lot of them were $40k plus. I could find 06, 07 Z06's but I don't want a Z06 or even a ZR1. I don't need carbon brakes or a targa top that won't remove. This car truly is our needle in a huge hay stack. We don't have a large budget for cars, other wise I would order a C7 grand sport. I love all you guys and I value you your opinions. I know a majority of you will say I'm foolish and I accept that. I am emotionally attached to this car so I will deal with it. I'm also a seasoned veteran heavy truck/equipment mechanic with experience on cars also. I was going to make ramps to get under the car anyway so if problems arise, I'll take care of them. I'll be getting a drive on lift one day also when we get our shop so I can do anything needed for the car.
It's going to need a clutch or brakes someday so I need to be prepared anyway.
I'll keep you informed.
Also I have a call in to Pete at Legendary Motor Cars as I highly value his opinion on devalue and if I should make sure the bar code bolt goes into the new crate engine. I assume you guys know how that bolt works.
Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Maine04609
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's your car man do as you wish. It's all your choice if your happy with what's going to be done go for it. It's you that counts in the end
Rjhctrapp (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Husker C6
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Congrats on your decision. It sounds like the dealer is trying to make it right. It also sounds like you are more than capable of handling any issues should they happen. As far as resale if we were all buying these for that reason alone none of us would actually own one. Hopefully they get it done soon so you can start enjoying it.
Rjhctrapp (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 09:12 PM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If the dealer comes through 100%, please let us know so we can add them to the good dealer list. With so many bad dealer stories, it is nice to hear about one that values it's clients.
Rjhctrapp (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

I believe under GM replacement warranty they stamp the replacement engine with matching numbers. Your also getting a corvette with exactly what you want and with a brand new LS3. As long as the GM shop is reputable and has a good history with working on corvettes, I wouldn't worry about it. Have the work done and enjoy the car.

My wife's BMW at 30k miles had the entire head assembly (straight 6) replaced because of a known head defect. It now has 74k flawless miles. The best part is the top end of the engine only has 44k miles. If anything, that adds value to the car.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 05-02-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Rjhctrapp (05-03-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer blew my engine.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...This car truly is our needle in a huge hay stack. Also I have a call in to Pete at Legendary Motor Cars as I highly value his opinion on devalue and if I should make sure the bar code bolt goes into the new crate engine. I assume you guys know how that bolt works.
Thanks again.
Sometimes a car takes on a larger-than-life persona. This certainly seems to be the case here. Therefore, get your baby fixed.
But...don't sign the loan papers until the car is ready. Talk to Dan at Corvette's of Auburn and ask him if he will inspect the replacement work...for a fee...paid for by the damaging dealer, of course.
Good luck...
Rjhctrapp (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 01:52 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Sometimes a car takes on a larger-than-life persona. This certainly seems to be the case here. Therefore, get your baby fixed.
But...don't sign the loan papers until the car is ready. Talk to Dan at Corvette's of Auburn and ask him if he will inspect the replacement work...for a fee...paid for by the damaging dealer, of course.
Good luck...
I will pay the fee if need be. Piece of mind is worth it.
I went to the Chevy dealer. Dwayne Lane Chevrolet in Arlington. Brand newly built state of the art facility. Rich the service manager seems like a great person. We will see when I get the car back. Still waiting for Pete's response at Legondary Motor Cars on the devalue issue.
The new engine carries a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty! I thought it was 2/50k. Dwayne Lane will be doing all the servicing of the car, break in oil change, all changes after that to keep the warranty intact.
They all say they have the best corvette techs, but the proof shall soon be known.
Rairdons Dodge of Marysville is the selling dealer, they are all sick about it as much as I am. The owner, as far as I'm concerned is a stand up person. I will inform Rich at Dwayne Lanes that you all are watching to see the finished product and if top notch, he will be the go to vette shop. Mean while, if your in the market for a Dodge, don't hesitate to go see anyone of the guys at Rairdons. I bought my 2005 Ram 2500 there new in 05, still have it. This is the 8th vehicle our family has bought from them, service department, ok. They have one seasoned tech who is also an avid vette enthusiast who they called in yesterday to look at my car, he immediately said send it up the street to Dwayne Lanes. Catastrophic failure. The lube tech may not have a job after tomorrow but that's on him for not telling someone, he did not know what he was doing and had never done a dry sump oil change before. I've been wrenching for 30 plus years and do not hesitate to let someone know when I've never done a particular job before.
I hope he learned something from what happened.
Anyway, thank you guys for all the opinions and support. Best community ever.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:19 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Rjhctrapp...what a great attitude. Corvettes are very special cars but, in the end, just cars.
I'm just south in Tacoma so maybe we'll pass and wave someday.
Rjhctrapp (05-03-2016)

Quick Reply: Dealer blew my engine.