C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 USB console with aftermarket head unit

Old 05-02-2016, 03:34 PM
astonius
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 USB console with aftermarket head unit

I'm finally upgrading my 2010's stock nav unit to a Pioneer AppRadio and want to do a clean looking install. I'm looking to buy a 2011 USB console and fit the ports to my new head unit, but it appears the connection from the console is proprietary. Is it possible to either build an adapter or cut the wires from the harness and splice them with a standard USB 2.0 and 3.5 mm jack to hook directly to my new head unit?

Last edited by astonius; 05-02-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:41 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,002 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Name:  5IOnM.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  8.7 KB

As for changing the entire center consul, seems to be a bit over the top, since you can just add in a USB port to your old consul next to the cigarette lighter plug instead.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:11 PM
astonius
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dano523

As for changing the entire center consul, seems to be a bit over the top, since you can just add in a USB port to your old consul next to the cigarette lighter plug instead.
Thanks for the feedback. My head unit has two USB, HDMI, and a 3.5 mm, so I'm actually going to put one USB and the HDMI next to the power plug and also use the 2011 console plugs.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by astonius
I'm finally upgrading my 2010's stock nav unit to a Pioneer AppRadio and want to do a clean looking install. I'm looking to buy a 2011 USB console and fit the ports to my new head unit, but it appears the connection from the console is proprietary. Is it possible to either build an adapter or cut the wires from the harness and splice them with a standard USB 2.0 and 3.5 mm jack to hook directly to my new head unit?
It's not proprietary. The end of the console cable that plugs into the back of the factory USB-capable radio is a standard Mini-A USB (note: it is "mini" *not* micro). The OEM cable has a little metal locking tab attached too that is not found on standard cable ends, but the usb electrical connector itself is mini-A.

The trick is that the console USB cable is in *two* sections, and if you only have the first section (the rearward one actually attached to the console jack), *that* end connector is proprietary. The second short cable converts the non-standard 1st console cable end to mini-A USB -- part # is 22828130.

I'm sure you could splice a standard USB cable in if you didn't want to buy the forward part of the OEM cable. Might be easier anyway, especially if your new radio doesn't have the mini-A usb jacks, in which case you'd need an adapter anyway.

Last edited by Kent1999; 05-02-2016 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 PM
astonius
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kent1999
It's not proprietary. The end of the console cable that plugs into the back of the factory USB-capable radio is a standard Mini-A USB (note: it is "mini" *not* micro). The OEM cable has a little metal locking tab attached too that is not found on standard cable ends, but the usb electrical connector itself is mini-A.

The trick is that the console USB cable is in *two* sections, and if you only have the first section (the rearward one actually attached to the console jack), *that* end connector is proprietary. The second short cable converts the non-standard 1st console cable end to mini-A USB -- part # is 22828130.

I'm sure you could splice a standard USB cable in if you didn't want to buy the forward part of the OEM cable. Might be easier anyway, especially if your new radio doesn't have the mini-A usb jacks, in which case you'd need an adapter anyway.
Ah yes, I've seen that cable. How does the 3.5 mm jack fit into this? Is it somehow also contained within the data connection?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by astonius
Ah yes, I've seen that cable. How does the 3.5 mm jack fit into this? Is it somehow also contained within the data connection?
IIRC, the 3.5mm plug signal is *not* contained in the USB, but is split out and those wires connect to one of the 2 big main connectors on the back of the radio.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:57 PM
GatorVetteC6
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kent1999

hello, I have a 2012 C6 that has the usb/aux connector in the center console. I am now replacing OEM unit with a Kenwood. Per your reply I bought a mini-USB to usb connector to plug into 22828130 plug that plugged into bottom right of the back of the OEM unit. It doesn't fit! I tried to take close up pictures to figure out why. From the pictures you can sort see where the micro-USB connector has squared off sides. The 22828130 is VERY close in size and shape, but has sloped/diagonal sides. I have a different micro-USB cable for my "old" camera. That cable fit fine into the mini-USB to usb connector I bought.

Any thoughts? Can you tell if your connector has sloped sides?

This picture shows the usb end of the 22828130 cable (bottom), the mini-usb of the connector I bought (middle), and the usb connector that fits in the connector that I bought (top). They are close, but different.

Does that mean my 22828130 cable is broken? Do I just need to buy another one and replace?

Thanks in advance!!

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 USB console with aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 USB console with aftermarket head unit