C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Dewitts 17" brushless fan kit and had it installed by dealer. No AC. Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:38 PM
ledfootlon
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Got a Dewitts 17" brushless fan kit and had it installed by dealer. No AC. Help

I have an 08 Callaway C6 and just got it back from the local dealerships service department yesterday. I had them install a Spal 17" brushless fan kit that I purchased from Dewitts.

As I started to drive away from the dealership I noticed an engine light on so I turned around and they came out and confirmed that it was a fan module code.

The Dewitts Kit utilizes a temp sensor that bypasses the ECM to turn the fan on and off so this was not a shock.

The major problem is that whereas my AC worked fine before the install it no longer works. I'm wondering if this is due to the ECM turning off the AC because it senses a fan problem.

Anyone else have one of these kits on a C6 or have any suggestions?

I already paid the dealer $860 dollars for what should have been a 4.5 hour job. Would like to get to the bottom of this without running up even larger labor charges while Chevy tries to run it down.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

OEM PWM needs to be left in and in play, and it jumped to the new controller to turn the fan on when the AC is turned on.

Hence without the OEM PWM in play, your going to get codes to begin with, and with it not tied to the new controller to turn the fan on when the ECM is telling the PWM to turn the fan on when AC is on, your going to get codes too.

Short version, the OEM PWM just needs to be tied into the optional over ride switch. This will work at a fail safe switch to tune the fan on if the new temp switch fails, and to turn the fans on when the AC is turned on as well

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016.../Nuova.pdf?874
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Wiring question

So if there are 3 wires going to the factory connection (the one that always burns up/melts) to the PWM a black (ground), red (positive) and green - which I assume is the PWM wire. You would hook the blue wire (override switch wire is blue for brushless) into the green wire? I think what you are stating is the PWM needs to be left in place by the radiator so the red and blue wires also stay connected to the PWM. You just unplug the fan part from PWM and leave the rest alone. The splice the blue into the green wire. Therefore, the car thinks everything is still hooked up though the fan connection has been disconnected the PWM is still there.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I removed my PWM controller. Turned off codes in HP tuners so it doesn't throw a fan circuit code. Works perfect, AC blows ice cold, and car keeps cool in 120+ weather with blower/iron block.
The following users liked this post:
double06 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Thanks Unreal

I knew you had done something like this before.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:57 AM
ledfootlon
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I found a local speed shop that has done several of these on C6's. I'm gonna let them finish Chevy service departments job. I'll let you know what they find.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Service department is the last place on earth that should be installing aftermarket parts. They don't even have the proper tools to install something like this unless they have a performance division or employee that does it on the side.

Plus $860 is a pure rape job. I put mine on in the garage, along with all wiring in about an hour.

Get notified of new replies

To Got a Dewitts 17" brushless fan kit and had it installed by dealer. No AC. Help

Quick Reply: Got a Dewitts 17" brushless fan kit and had it installed by dealer. No AC. Help