C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption after heads and cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:38 AM
GS13
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption after heads and cam

Hi Guys,

My LS3 dry sump GS with H/C is consuming oil eventhough I changed the Valves seals, spark wire and spark plugs. I have P0300 code which is random misfire. I read that some people said that they relines the crank or something like that. Some people said pison ring but I dont see smoke or any performance decrease. BTW, my heads are trickflows and a mild comp cam.

Any suggestions upon the problem?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:42 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

I understand that the rocker bolt holes are not blind therefore if you don't seal them on installation, oil could get sucked down through that point into the intake ports.
I also read here that someone had problems with their valve seals coming apart. In this case, it could of been a install issue, but not sure, but worth it to recheck the seals.

Last edited by extrapilot; 05-05-2016 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GS13 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 11:07 AM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

The P0300 code is most likely from the cam...was your car properly tuned? The misfire tables need to be massaged a bit, to prevent that code from setting at idle. From your other thread on this, it sounds like the code is setting, but not showing a light (most likely changed the criteria for this code in the tune). IMO, the tune shouldn't have been done this way. You don't change the P0300 code to "no light"...you just change the tables so the cam doesn't set a nuisance code at very low engine speed. You still want it to trip if the car starts missing at higher speeds.

As for oil consumption...How much is it using in how many miles? Is the intake manifold soaked with oil, when you pull the throttle body? How full are you filling the dry sump tank? It is also possible that some valve seals could have come loose...I've seen it many times, but I'd check the easy stuff first. Could just be the PCV system's fault.
The following users liked this post:
GS13 (05-05-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Oil consumption after heads and cam

Quick Reply: Oil consumption after heads and cam