C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z06 with a ls3 swap?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM
badassf4i
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default z06 with a ls3 swap?

i know that sounds crazy but is it possible to swap a ls3 into a c6z? i know i will loose the dry sump but is there any other differences that il have to consider. my ls7 let go and i need to get her back on the road and a small cam ls3 with a blower will make more power than my ls7 for a fraction of the cost. i know this will kill the value of the car but i bought it to have fun with so that dosent bother me to much. all input and opinions are appreciated.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:25 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by badassf4i
i know that sounds crazy but is it possible to swap a ls3 into a c6z? i know i will loose the dry sump but is there any other differences that il have to consider. my ls7 let go and i need to get her back on the road and a small cam ls3 with a blower will make more power than my ls7 for a fraction of the cost. i know this will kill the value of the car but i bought it to have fun with so that dosent bother me to much. all input and opinions are appreciated.
With a dead LS7, I'd do a LS3 in a heartbeat. Keep your full exhaust, add a Vararam, and change the tune. Sell off the remaining good LS7 parts and enjoy the reliability and nearly the same power.

If you find a used LS3 from a GS manual coupe, it already has the dry sump.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:31 PM
badassf4i
Instructor

i already have a new vengance racing cam on the shelf and have a vararam, but id want to go boosted for sure. a dry sump ls3 may cost as much as a ls7 honestly lol
Old 05-20-2016, 03:31 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

i already have a new vengance racing cam on the shelf and have a vararam, but id want to go boosted for sure. a dry sump ls3 may cost as much as a ls7 honestly lol
You'd be surprised as to how inexpensive rebuilding an LS7 can be.

How much were you thinking it'd cost?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:37 PM
badassf4i
Instructor

im thinking worst case if it got the block and crank i figured around 7k in a replacment.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:45 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

im thinking worst case if it got the block and crank i figured around 7k in a replacment.
You need to provide more details as to what exactly let go and how bad it was.

If you dropped a valve then you'd likely need a replacement head. If the cylinder wall is completely destroyed and/or there's a hole in the block then you'd need a new one which cost less than $3000. If the cylinder sleeve is just cracked then it can be resleeved for less than $500. If one of the pistons and/or rods is damaged then that'd run you around $200 for a used replacement.

I've blown a few LS7 engines over time ranging from moderate to severe, so I can probably give you a good idea of your most cost effective plan to get up and running again.

Also, even if you could potentially save a few bucks going with an LS3 I think the financial hit you'd likely take if you ever decided to sell the car would greatly exceed that amount and you'd end up regretting it.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:49 PM
badassf4i
Instructor

i plan on pullingthe valve covers and busting out a bore scope this weekend. honestly right now i dont have the funds to fix it so im in no rust to tear it down and have parts scattered throughout my shop and the car holding up a lift.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:54 PM
badassf4i
Instructor

if i can make it to tax time next year id like to buy a forged lsx setup that i dont have to be scared to drive around 800hp... honestly every time i hit the gas with the ls7 i just waited to hear it pop. it may be something simple but i always plan for the worst. i was cruising at 40 and pushed the clutch in to shift to fifth when i heard a hand full of marbles and the motor shut off. pressing in the starter button just makes the starter hit but wont turn it over at all. it is strange there was absolutely no smoke or anything else...
Old 05-20-2016, 04:00 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

if i can make it to tax time next year id like to buy a forged lsx setup that i dont have to be scared to drive around 800hp... honestly every time i hit the gas with the ls7 i just waited to hear it pop. it may be something simple but i always plan for the worst. i was cruising at 40 and pushed the clutch in to shift to fifth when i heard a hand full of marbles and the motor shut off. pressing in the starter button just makes the starter hit but wont turn it over at all. it is strange there was absolutely no smoke or anything else...
Pulling the spark plugs may tell you everything you need to know.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:33 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,182 Likes on 2,132 Posts

Lol I remember that feeling when I was in the rotary game for 12 years. I saw a couple of white hairs form so I said forget it I'm done with rotaries.

That's how I feel about the ls7. Absolutely an amazing engine. And must be awesome to have that raw power and the high pitch sound it makes an ls3 doesn't have.

But my days of worrying are done. I'm biased so yeah if you can score the ls3 with blower cheaper for your z, do it. It'll be unique.

Once my factory warranty expires in December, I'm putting a blower on my GS.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:43 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

ey bad that marble description not too good but it could be a whole lot less than you think though just pull the spark plugs off to find out which side then pull that head the worth it could be is a cylinder sleeve rod not so much often the crank survives, is hard to kill a head even with severe marks they just clean up with a porting bit new valve and back for more.

If no coolant in oil likely sleeves good light scratch or two in a sleeve don't do crap ether let em rip but don't let a z just seat there.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:47 AM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

If I were to throw an LS3 into a Z I'd boost it..I wouldn't roll around on a cam only setup. That's the main advantage of the LS3 isn't it?

Get notified of new replies

To z06 with a ls3 swap?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: z06 with a ls3 swap?